What's new

My La Lune arrived safely

I would say it depends on the razor. I went too far on purpose with a few just to see what certain blades could take. Kind of like diving the submarine as far as you can to find the limit.. Weird stones, but awesome. Your ark can kill an edge easily too if you make a wrong move.
Thanks. I'll try it.

Post what you think about it on here btw. There is so little for guys to go by when it comes to the french hones unless you play with foreign sites and google translate. I wouldn't pass judgement either until you do several razors. It needs to be dialed in.

I actually picked up a second one of these today. It's been used more, only a really shallow touch of the very wide chamfer remains, but it is a net positive from a usable real estate pov.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Turned up today in better shape than anticipated. This one was used with oil which was actually fantastic as I got to see how far into the stone oil can entrench itself and it came off like nothing once I scraped off the residue. Not porous at all, thankfully.$WP_20140913_10_56_08_Pro.jpg$WP_20140913_11_03_02_Pro.jpg

I think it may be original to this. They were packaged in several different ways. Sebastian has one of the coolest sets, where it is a lune along with a synthetic hone the company produced called master stone. Kind of glittery and crazy looking synth.

You need to try one someday. Crazy hone. It trumps something like an Escher but it is barber hone fast almost.

I must add I am impressed with the care all of these French sellers have used packing stuff. I think they might have turned over a new leaf. Three in a row packed fastidiously. I half expect a hone to show up just wrapped in brown paper with a stamp on it every time I deal with eu sellers, and they have proved me wrong.

With this, I find it is a bit more obvious straight off the stone that you screwed up. With my vosgienne, I've found they wait for the strop to spill the beans if something is up. I don't have this issue with my other finishers, but then again, my other finishing stones don't push the steel to the level those do.

I think it may be original to this. They were packaged in several different ways. Sebastian has one of the coolest sets, where it is a lune along with a synthetic hone the company produced called master stone. Kind of glittery and crazy looking synth.

Yeah thats a crazy synthethic stone...i still do not know what it really is, looks like a carborundum...but it is really glittering which is not usual on the carbos...

Gritwise i would say something around 1-2k...from usage the stone is nothing really special...

I've never been able to kill an edge on these stones famous for doing so. I expect it relies on a mistake in pressure (too much or too little, either could be to blame). The only edges I've killed were ones over-refined on EXTREMELY hard Jnats while simultaneously being held at a <14* grind angle, usually with questionable (heavily pitted/overpolished) steel. I've ran hundreds of passes on La Lunes, Specials and Vosgiennes without losing an edge. Under the scope the edge is often still progressing at these points. It's less durable and more susceptible to rolling or breaking in stropping, but it doesn't fail in actual use if stropping is done correctly. It's possible that extremely high draw (latigo?) strops could have a problem with these edges; but none of my vintage or modern horsehides break them down.

Barbers hones, likewise, don't overhone in my experience, they are just MASSIVELY inconsistent in grit size, which manifests itself in a more obvious degradation of the edge after several passes (the degradation overcomes the progression and the edge moves rapidly backward). The manufacturers mistakenly (or misleadingly) blamed this on wire edge, rather than admitting the problems with their hones, so honing off a barber synth used as directed is actually more like using the previous hones edge, very slightly refined by the barber hones more finite particles with as little damage as manageable from the oversized particles. I'd be interested in seeing other folks using high magnification views of edges along with barber synths impressions of the development of edges on these hones.

Last edited:
I only have a well worn in 827. I think some of the failures must be chalked up to not removing enough metal post corrosion removal to be on the safe side with unfamiliar blades, but other times, I think it is more to do with how you lead into that hone. I don't really screw up edges on my vos anymore, with the lune I tread more carefully. I go 10 laps at a time and see what's doing. With the vos, I pay more attention to the way the edge is interacting with fluid on the hone.

But for hones so fine, they have a good deal of cutting power and a learning curve to go along with it. Well worth it imo.

I've definitely created wire edges using b-hones - to the point where the 'wire' pulled away and looked like a hair coming off the edge. A lot, I think, has to do with the steel and how well/poorly the blade was honed prior to seeing the barber hone along with what the honing regimen is.

For example - there seems to be a major edge/result/shave difference when, say - I hone to roughly 12k-ish and then jump right to a Swaty, than there is if I hone to 12k, wear the blade shaving for a while, and then put it on the Swaty. The latter is, seemingly, a much smoother/better shave. Can't say much about sharpness though. I'd have to spend a year toggling back/forth doing this and it's not really a whole lotta fun.

Top Bottom