What's new

My journey with the Feather AC SS (Kamisori non-folding)

I decided to change things up for fun today and delete basically all of my prep. I was wondering if it was just too much. So I shaved before showering for maybe the first time ever. I splashed a lot of cold water on my face and took plenty of time developing the Tabac lather, making sure it was really well hydrated. I relegated the Kamisori to the end of the shave today, using it for the parts I think it's already doing good things for me: WTG right under the nose, ATG buffing on the cheeks, and a few WTG bits on the neck. (The main three passes were done with my German 37 and a BIC Chrome Platinum with a couple prior uses on it.)

I got a closer shave than yesterday and really enjoyed the simplified and much quicker process. I also had significantly more sting and burn. More than I would be willing to deal with every day. I changed so many variables, though, that I can't say which is to blame for sure.

Kamisori shave #10 is in the books.

Shave #11 with the Kamisori was eventful. I started out with my R41 and a Nacet blade (use #2). Two passes at least, maybe three. Then, the Kamisori for the mustache area, a good deal of ATG buffing on the cheeks, and touchups here and there on the neck. Overall, I did a lot more passes than normal, and spent more time shaving than I care to admit. I got the closest shave I think I've ever had, but really paid for it in terms of irritation throughout the day. I've learned that with my level of experience and technique, I still have to choose between comfort and closeness at the extremes; I hope one day to be able to have both. I think I can prioritize what areas I want to have really clean vs what doesn't really need it, for the sake of comfort overall.

I also tested to see if alum was actually causing a bit of harshness in the post-shave by applying it to only half my face. That half was a bit more dry and uncomfortable than the one without it. I might skip the alum for a couple shaves and see what I think.

I confirmed that I like how it feels to shave with really cold water.

Shave #11 with the Kamisori was eventful. I started out with my R41 and a Nacet blade (use #2). Two passes at least, maybe three. Then, the Kamisori for the mustache area, a good deal of ATG buffing on the cheeks, and touchups here and there on the neck. Overall, I did a lot more passes than normal, and spent more time shaving than I care to admit. I got the closest shave I think I've ever had, but really paid for it in terms of irritation throughout the day. I've learned that with my level of experience and technique, I still have to choose between comfort and closeness at the extremes; I hope one day to be able to have both. I think I can prioritize what areas I want to have really clean vs what doesn't really need it, for the sake of comfort overall.

I also tested to see if alum was actually causing a bit of harshness in the post-shave by applying it to only half my face. That half was a bit more dry and uncomfortable than the one without it. I might skip the alum for a couple shaves and see what I think.

I confirmed that I like how it feels to shave with really cold water.
I've learned that as well; if I chase closeness with the shavette, alum is going to sting like hell.

Do you wash off your alum after you apply it? I always wash it off after couple minutes and follow up with some witch hazel and AS balm.

Do you wash off your alum after you apply it? I always wash it off after couple minutes and follow up with some witch hazel and AS balm.
I sure do. Same as you, I had been in the habit of leaving it on for maybe a couple minutes while drying things off and cleaning things up, and then rinsing it off. I follow it with aftershave splash and then an aftershave balm a few minutes after that. In the future, I might only use it if I have nicks or weepers to deal with, or if/when my technique is so good that I don't irritate my skin much in general. I do like the way alum feels on un-irritated skin.

While I'm typing, I'll note shave #12's results: I put the Kamisori back in the driver's seat, and did a full WTG pass with it before changing over to the R41 to tackle the more challenging XTG stuff, especially on the jawline. Finished with the Kamisori here and there, wherever I felt like using it some more.

Today I focused on being gentle to my skin, and it really helped. I only chased BBS on the areas around the lips, along the jawline, and on the sides of the neck. These are the areas that really drive me crazy if they're not smooth. Stubble on those areas catches on things like shirt and jacket collars or a cloth face mask. I skipped the alum again today. While my cheeks and chin are DFS at best, my skin feels great. Totally worth the tradeoff. More good lessons today.

Shave #13 was really, really good. I started with the Kamisori again, just doing one WTG pass with it. Then on to the R41 with a new Gillette Platinum blade. That blade was so smooth I couldn't believe there was even a blade in the razor. I again focused on being kind to my skin and only going close where I really need/want to. Somehow I got the best combination of closeness and comfort so far on this whole journey of 89 wet shaves. I had read some of you gentlemen saying "it will just happen" but that didn't make sense to me . . . until it happened! I look forward to seeing if I can get some repeated results based on what I did today.

One thing kind of nagging at me is that I am surprised how much the Kamisori leaves behind after a single WTG pass. I think it's quite a bit more than a typical DE does. I will try to confirm that. If so, I am wondering why that would be? Could my angle with the Kamisori be too shallow, thus not cutting the hair as close to the skin as it could?

Shave #13 was really, really good. I started with the Kamisori again, just doing one WTG pass with it. Then on to the R41 with a new Gillette Platinum blade. That blade was so smooth I couldn't believe there was even a blade in the razor. I again focused on being kind to my skin and only going close where I really need/want to. Somehow I got the best combination of closeness and comfort so far on this whole journey of 89 wet shaves. I had read some of you gentlemen saying "it will just happen" but that didn't make sense to me . . . until it happened! I look forward to seeing if I can get some repeated results based on what I did today.

One thing kind of nagging at me is that I am surprised how much the Kamisori leaves behind after a single WTG pass. I think it's quite a bit more than a typical DE does. I will try to confirm that. If so, I am wondering why that would be? Could my angle with the Kamisori be too shallow, thus not cutting the hair as close to the skin as it could?
My uses with kamisori has led to similar conclusion that WTG leaves a lot of hair left. The dilemma for me is that I need to use a shallow angle to get a comfortable shave because there is no guard. For DEs, I can maintain the 30 degree angle but it's a lot harder with the kamisori. If I go too steep, I will feel it immediately so I'd rather be on the shallow side than too steep.

My uses with kamisori has led to similar conclusion that WTG leaves a lot of hair left. The dilemma for me is that I need to use a shallow angle to get a comfortable shave because there is no guard. For DEs, I can maintain the 30 degree angle but it's a lot harder with the kamisori. If I go too steep, I will feel it immediately so I'd rather be on the shallow side than too steep.
Thanks for the comparison. To be fair, although the Kamisori obviously doesn’t have a guard/bar like a DE razor, I am using a guarded blade and I wondered if that was keeping the blade from cutting whiskers on the WTG pass while it keeps me from cutting my skin. I’m not sure what my angle is in degrees but I’m trying to stay just steep enough for the blade to work. I wonder if skipping WTG and starting XTG where possible would help. Maybe the rounded lip design of the SS results in inefficiencies that are more noticeable on less efficient but more comfortable passes, as I consider the WTG pass to be?

Thanks for the comparison. To be fair, although the Kamisori obviously doesn’t have a guard/bar like a DE razor, I am using a guarded blade and I wondered if that was keeping the blade from cutting whiskers on the WTG pass while it keeps me from cutting my skin. I’m not sure what my angle is in degrees but I’m trying to stay just steep enough for the blade to work. I wonder if skipping WTG and starting XTG where possible would help. Maybe the rounded lip design of the SS results in inefficiencies that are more noticeable on less efficient but more comfortable passes, as I consider the WTG pass to be?
I haven't tried guarded blades so I don't know much about them. As for starting XTG, I've never tried either. Going WTG first always feels right for me.

The only difference I notice with guarded blades is that I cut myself less and mostly not at all*. WTG would never be enough for me though. After the second pass I mostly just have some cleanup to do but honestly it's no more and sometimes less than my DEs. Third pass is usually just cleanup under and around the jaw and AGT "fool's pass."

* although weepers are possible if I buff too much.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm kind of new to the AC shavette also and my area of the face that is challenging is the chin that I find the hardest area to shave. I'm using the KAI Protouch guard blades and they work well & are sharp & smooth.
I have the folding KAI style shavette and use it like Kamisori and a folding straight and it seems to work as long as I play with different configurations. I'm on shave 3 and enjoying it and will be part of the razor rotation for a while, the guarded blades had me wondering how good could they be but they put the comfort into the shave and gives me a little time to enjoy it also. Any one who knocks a guarded blade I'm not sure why. I tried a unguarded blade that was sent with the AC shavette and that was not a nice experience with a few to many nicks and not so good a shave to boot. Some say a Shavette that's has a unguarded blade is harder to use than a straight because the blades are so sharp and choppy as where a straight razor is sharp & smooth.
What I did do when waiting for my new KAI Protouch blades to arrive is reverse my unguarded blade inside the razor clamp so the sharp edge was enclosed and did some practice runs on how to hold the razor and the scraping sounded like it was cutting beard but it was not doing anything and that helped this Rookie out a lot because audio feedback is a important part of shaving.
I found with the guarded blade the operator of the razor can apply a little pressure to shave as were a unguarded blade would be a nick for sure because the blade feel is so finite to master, But I surprised myself how fast I adapted to the smoother guarded blade.
Good thread @nicked78 for this newbie to follow once in a while.

The only difference I notice with guarded blades is that I cut myself less and mostly not at all*. WTG would never be enough for me though. After the second pass I mostly just have some cleanup to do but honestly it's no more and sometimes less than my DEs. Third pass is usually just cleanup under and around the jaw and AGT "fool's pass."

* although weepers are possible if I buff too much.
Thanks for noting the comparison between guarded and non-guarded blades. I like not cutting myself! And with these, I really haven't, except the times when I did. It's usually when I'm trying to do some detailed area like the side of the mouth or under the nose, and I'm only using a small percentage of the blade; all the work is focused on too small an area. If I want to do that, I've got to compensate by lightening up the pressure even more. Boy, did I come close to cutting my ear today when spinning the razor in my hand carelessly to get it pointed the right direction for a move across the cheek. Yikes.

I'm kind of new to the AC shavette also and my area of the face that is challenging is the chin that I find the hardest area to shave.
Yeah those whiskers are tough. I think a DE works easier here, at least as a newbie, since the application of force is more direct and manageable. The action of slicing or scything in that particular area is not as natural for me just getting started. Moving from a cartridge to a DE, though, at least you're holding the thing the same way.
Some say a Shavette that's has a unguarded blade is harder to use than a straight because the blades are so sharp and choppy as where a straight razor is sharp & smooth.
Truth! I have a Shavette that takes half DE blades and that makes the Feather AC system seem like a snap by comparison!
I found with the guarded blade the operator of the razor can apply a little pressure to shave as were a unguarded blade would be a nick for sure
I wonder if my first few attempts with an unguarded blade are going to be yet another adjustment . . . lightening the touch once more.
Good thread @nicked78 for this newbie to follow once in a while.
Thank you, good sir, for taking the trouble to read it!

OP... you've got a lot of perseverance and tenacity for shaving, what looks like everyday, with a Feather Straight.

I've got a tough beard with sensitive skin and shave so closely with my Feather AC RG, that I can go every other day, or two without shaving. During this CV, I shave every three to four days and the Feather glides through my beard easily, just using Proraso, leaving my skin smooth with no irritation.

Keep up the good work with the learning curve of the Feather.

Shave #14 was not quite as good as yesterday's, but not many are, so that's ok! I noticed my grip was uncomfortable today because I was just using my fingertips, and having to hold the handle firmly to keep it from "rolling" and thus going suddenly to a steep shaving angle. This just made my hand tired, and probably tense from the fear of suddenly losing control. (A folding razor probably avoids this due to the scales being available to secure between fingers farthest from the blade.). I will see if I can find a more secure but relaxed grip tomorrow. Part of the fun of this non-folding Kamisori style is how nimble it is, how it can be rolled in the fingers, etc., but that suddenly came across as a negative today. The R41 performed well in its cleanup role, although use #2 of the Gillette Platinum was not as smooth as yesterday's for some reason.

OP... you've got a lot of perseverance and tenacity for shaving, what looks like everyday, with a Feather Straight.

Honestly, if it hurt, I would have quit by now! But thanks for the kudos. It's been a fun fortnight.
Happy New Year to everyone!

Shave #15 slotted in somewhere between the two previous ones as far as closeness and comfort are concerned--not a bad result! The Kamisori got the first pass again, with the R41 and a Gillette Platinum on use #3 cleaning everything up. The Platinum blade was duller again today so I'm binning it and will try a new one to see if it's as smooth as the first time a couple days ago. Tomorrow I'll try to use the Kamisori for a good two passes, as I'll have a little extra time. It sure does slow me down compared to a DE razor.

I am rethinking shaving as an act of skin care, and it is helping so far. The funny thing is how uninteresting that sounds at first, compared to assuming I need to try another razor/blade/soap, etc. to get the results I want.

Shave #16: The first 2.5 passes were done with the Kamisori. Solved a problem from two shaves ago--I put my pinky finger on the other side of handle from my other fingers and that helped secure the razor with less pressure needed. I still feel this razor is a bit inefficient. It is surprising how much it leaves behind even on easy areas like the cheeks after these passes. I still feel like I'm a long way away from getting a full, finished shave with just the Kamisori. Which only makes me want to keep trying! It's a pretty good challenge.

Also:
Confirmed--that The Gillette Platinum blade in the R41 was indeed going dull in three shaves. A new blade was much better.
Confirmed--that the less scrubbing I do with my brush on my face, the less irritation I feel after the shave. I may just do paintbrush strokes from here out.

Fine shave overall, close enough and certainly comfortable. Not a great result, but no problems. I did cut my chin with the R41 somehow. Got it good enough to reach for the styptic pencil.

When trying something new like the Feather AC SS Kamisori, I like to go back to a "control" every now and then, to help measure my progress and evaluate what's going on. So today, I didn't use the Kamisori at all, but did a full DE shave with my R41 and a Gillette Platinum on its second use.

Of note:

--The full DE shave did not save any time as compared to using a combination of Kamisori and DE. That was a surprise! (The same thing happened a while ago when I went back to use my cartridge system after a couple months of DE usage.).
--I nicked myself three times with the R41, all on or near my chin. The Kamisori tends to cause fewer nicks/weepers.
--As far as post-shave feel, I think I feel a little more irritation overall than when I use the Kamisori for part or most of my shave. The AC blade as compared to a DE blade does feel more comfortable during and after use.
--The closeness of the shave wasn't obviously different than when I use the Kamisori for the first pass or two.

All this bodes well for the value of continuing to develop my skills on the Kamisori. This "control" experience suggests that the Kamisori has a sneaky sort of efficiency combined with good comfort, as compared to my R41 when used with this particular blade.

Shave #17: Made it!

Did a full shave with the Kamisori today with no cleanup from a DE razor. This ProGuard blade was on its 9th use. I did four passes (WTG, WTG/XTG, XTG, XTG/ATG) and found this worked well. The second and fourth passes were a combination of the directions noted, depending on what seemed right or workable in each area.

This was a really comfortable shave, both during and after. I had the least amount of burn from my aftershave that I can remember in quite a while. There were no weepers, nicks, or cuts. My skin feels pretty good afterwards.

Today I decided to just trust the razor and wield it with more confidence. It hasn't seemed to want to cut me yet, and the more decisive movements helped deal with some of the trickier areas. The shave is certainly not as close as I would ultimately like, especially on the neck and chin, but it feels pretty smooth and clean WTG. Tentative, careful moves were helpful at first to avoid disaster, but they're not efficient overall, and are unnecessary as I develop some skill and muscle memory regarding the blade angle. That said, I will need to watch out for overconfidence the next few times I shave . . . otherwise I'll be liable to make an even bigger mistake than I would have on my first few shaves.

I still have a lot to learn about using this razor, but it feels like a real accomplishment to complete a full shave with it. Getting there with a DE razor took 14 tries, so this was pretty close to the same.

Shave #18: Another full shave with the Kamisori on blade use 10. I did three more efficient passes and a little cleanup. Had two nicks/weepers. I got as close as yesterday's shave and skin felt equally good, normal, happy afterwards.

Shave #19: Three full shaves with the Kamisori in a row. A fresh blade for the Kamisori plus a soap that isn't quite as protective led to a real zinger of a shave. Like, as in a bit too close in some areas. One of my cheeks was uniformly pink, like I'd been working out or just come in from the cold. That said, the irritation I did feel lasted only. short while and my skin recovered quickly, which it never used to do with a DE shave that caused irritation. That's an improvement. I think the fresh blade was just a bit on the too-sharp side, so hopefully tomorrow's shave (I'll use Tabac next time, thank you very much) will be a lot more comfortable overall.

The areas of the neck below the ear are really really hard to get with this razor. Somehow I cleaned them up pretty well for Shave #17 but I can't remember how. I guess all the stars aligned that day!

Things I am appreciating more and more about the Feather Artist Club SS Kamisori: the stainless steel blade holder has a matte finish, which always looks clean. I never feel like I'm supposed to polish it up better. And the blade insertion and removal is a snap. Even handling the AC blades is a lot easier than DE blades, which are so thin and have so much sharp real estate. The cover for the Kamisori has been kind of essential after all. I thought I'd only use it traveling, but it boosts confidence to put it on over the razor once I've reinstalled the dry blade each day. That way I know I won't cut myself on the thing, and the blade can't get damaged by accidental contact. (The folding version obviously avoids all this to begin with.). The razor provokes a creative approach to passes and directions. Using both left and right hands, trying different attacks on the same area . . . it's all more inventive overall. I think the folding version might not work quite as well for that, since the scales would need repositioning frequently, right?

I like the ah-hah moment when I suddenly make just the right stretch or grimace and a tricky area of skin is suddenly transformed into a flat plane . . . game on!

Shave #20 was today and I'm on a roll with full shaves with this razor. Getting more and more comfortable working around the chin for sure. I remember my first few tries at that area in particular were just so timid--almost stabbing at the beard rather than just slicing through it. I even tried a little ATG on the upper lip and it went fine. Not a full "fool's pass" approach, mind you, but one day I aspire to such foolishness.

The sides of the neck and parts of the jawline are still being left rougher than I want. These are the only areas remaining where I would be tempted to pull out a DE and just finish them off. Today's shave was good in terms of closeness, a little overly sensitive again. I returned to Tabac, which has been a great performer for me, but I think I overloaded my brush and then didn't add enough water to really hydrate it. The lather was a bit thick and dry and I had too much leftover at the end. I'd rather load less and then get it hydrated properly.

The 1918 Gilette Old Type I won in a Christmas PIF arrived today, so the Kamisori is going to get at least a day off starting tomorrow!

Top Bottom