What's new

My Journey towards a BBS dream: W/Photos. (Warning, not for the faint-hearted)

One question about the post shave cold towel/splash step. What exactly is the benifit of doing this?

It closes the poors, but doesn't that stop the hair from growing out even more; or is it a way of keeping a build up of dirt out?

Also, what about shaving just under the Jawline and down the neck. I find it very difficult to get to this area successfully.

When i'm at the point where i'm ready to shave my long hair, would it be best to maybe trim it down with a pair of clippers and then wait until the next day to use the DE? I figure this would be another attribute towards further reduction of any irritation.

It's great that i'm getting all this feed back and support during the 'growing out' phase. It gives me plenty of time to pluck all the pieces and put them together for when i'm ready.

Continuous thanks ppl. I really and truly did not want to post those photos for obvious reasons, but I figured it would give all of you a better idea of how severe the condition was (albeit self inflicted) and how much I really wanted assistance. You all have been truly understanding and for that I thank and continue to thank the members of B&B.

I'll put the violins away now! :smile:

The cold water splash is reputedly meant to 'close the pores', although pores neither open nor close in actuallity. It does act to tighten the surface of the skin and can aid in keeping unwanted incidental nasties out of the freshly shaved and sensitive face. Follow that with a splash of the toner of your choosing. Almost everyone here will stand and applaud at the mention of Thayer's Witch Hazel as THE choice. Let that splash air-dry and then you may go with either a moisturizng after shave balm or after shave lotion. I would strongly suggest that what you choose have little or no alcohol. Speick ASB would be a good choice for a number of reasons, including it's organic nature. You might also consider the excellent selection of Nivea products for sensitive skin which are easily found in most Drugstores (Chemists to you).
Please continue to updates us and ask as many questions as you want. I think by now your posts have garnered quite the following.
You may want to wear a beard to the first of the weddings you attend this Summer. Would it be such a tragedy if it where neatly trimmed. From the pictures I see you can grow a pretty nice one if you want to. It doesn't make sense to repair your skin halfway before attacking it again before it is ready. Just my 2 cents.

In my case cold water (and coldness in general) cuts down on irritation. It also helps with nicks and stops weepers. If you have dry, itchy (irritated) skin it is even advisable to bathe in cool/lukewarm water. I wouldn't extend this to shaving with cold water (though I've had to do this on occasion – not by choice!) but rinsing or splashing with cold really helps.

In my experience irritation and itching contribute to bumps (inflammations). Scientifically speaking, cold fights inflammation, whereas heat contributes to it, in a "positive feedback loop" scenario, or in other words: inflammation causes heat, which further increases inflammation. Same basic logic as to why we ice a sprained ankle.

I (and a myriad of others) am wondering how its going with the 2nd go round. Has the beard grown out yet and have you tried again? Update us on the saga!

Yowzer, that's looks like that's pretty bad, my friend.

I'm not a skin expert, but from your photo (I really hope it's better in real life!) that seems to be outside the norm. If you haven't already, it might be worth considering seeing a dermatologist.

I hope it feels better soon, and good luck! I'll follow your thread with interest.

Tomorrow will make a week from the time that I started growing the beard out. It's a somewhat grueling affair as the itch is at times un-avoidable to the need for borrowing the neighbours pet cat to come and de-claw it's self on my face. LOL

NO, not that extreme of course. It has gotten better IMO. The irritation is either clearing up, or the hair is just covering up what was once highly visible.

I will be posting some updated photos tomorrow just as a visual journal of my progress. Really, I don't want to, but I thought to myself that if I had seen someone else's thread with photo's who had been through a similar situation, then their particular method of remedial procedures would have me more convinced. As the saying goes "a picture speaks a thousand words".

During my waiting period before the first DE shave again, I've been doing some reading around the forums and the net to gather up any form of assistance that would help with this transition. As a result I decided to purchase a Weishi DE razor from ebay with the intention that a less aggressive razor would be a good way to start after going through such an ordeal.

I have considered a dermatologist, but I have been through this to a certain extent before. So I'd rather just try it the natural way for now. Plus, it was definitely poor technique incorporated with an impatient attitude that got me to where I am.

I will also be ordering the AOS ingrown hair kit for when I start shaving again.
proxy.php

I going to wish you the best of luck on this. A Weishi razor is a copy of the Gillette Superspeed which is known for it's mildness. Start with the razor perpendicular to your face then begin tilting it until you find the right angle for the blade to cut your beard. The "sweetspot" as it is called.
Also, going through this thread, maybe I missed it, but what brands of blades are you using. I would give a call out to one of 3 blades. The first would be the Israeli red pack Personnas, the second would be the Israeli Crystals (both made in the same plant) and third would be Dorco ST300 or ST301. The dorcos are noted for being a mild blade.

Last edited:
OK first thing before you shave that new growth you’ve been painfully nurturing for a while now, map your beard again visually. Get someone else to help you if necessary. The reason I say this is that my beard actually grows at a slightly different angle to the way that it appears. I have to let it grow out for 3days to see the effect but basically although it feels to be growing N-S when you look at it the direction is more of a NW-SE on one side and NNE-SSW on the other. So when I thought I was going WTG I was actually doing a XTG pass first! As you said earlier that you seem to have had a less irritating shave by going what you thought was XTG you may actually have been going closer to WTG – hence the irritation was less. Listen to what your face is telling you.

Next less is more when you have a problem like this. Cut the routine down to basics. My shave now consists of shower, face lather (I use the Proraso white/sensitive soap and an Omega Boar Brush too), shave, rinse (warm then cold). No ASB or pre shave anything. It’s taken 3 or 4months to realise that all the other stuff was causing my skin to freak out. I’ve just cut out the ASB this week as I still had recurring pimples – not in-growns just pimples. After 2 days I can already see a marked improvement.

Most important though is how you use the razor. I use Astra blades which I find are smoother than a Feather but much sharper than a Derby and a Merkur Classic like you. I had a bump problem for ages which I couldn’t shift. The breakthrough for me was in two stages first the beard direction I noted above and second the blade angle. I found the Merkur requires you to hold the blade further off your face than you’d expect. To get the angle, hold the razor so that the middle (smooth metal) part is against you face and the handle is parallel to the floor then slowly roll the handle toward the floor to bring the blade in contact with your skin. You want the least angle which still cuts the hair. You’ll know when you have it because you won’t fell any scraping or scratching at all just a sort of smooth snipping/slicing sensation with little sound. On top of this NO PRESSURE. Imagine you are just trying to stop the razor losing contact with your face rather than you are trying to hold the razor on your face.

Hope this helps.

Tomorrow will make a week from the time that I started growing the beard out. It's a somewhat grueling affair as the itch is at times un-avoidable to the need for borrowing the neighbours pet cat to come and de-claw it's self on my face. LOL

NO, not that extreme of course. It has gotten better IMO. The irritation is either clearing up, or the hair is just covering up what was once highly visible.

I will be posting some updated photos tomorrow just as a visual journal of my progress. Really, I don't want to, but I thought to myself that if I had seen someone else's thread with photo's who had been through a similar situation, then their particular method of remedial procedures would have me more convinced. As the saying goes "a picture speaks a thousand words".

During my waiting period before the first DE shave again, I've been doing some reading around the forums and the net to gather up any form of assistance that would help with this transition. As a result I decided to purchase a Weishi DE razor from ebay with the intention that a less aggressive razor would be a good way to start after going through such an ordeal.

I have considered a dermatologist, but I have been through this to a certain extent before. So I'd rather just try it the natural way for now. Plus, it was definitely poor technique incorporated with an impatient attitude that got me to where I am.

I will also be ordering the AOS ingrown hair kit for when I start shaving again.
proxy.php

Let me know if this stuff works for you and is worth the money.

One thing I gotta say about brushes. If you want a brush that is soft, but will still be tough enough to move your coarse hair, reach for a Rooney in style 1 in small (size 1). It's soft, but very tough and not floppy at all.

Potterton,

I am a newb at this but not at your type of condition. I am an American of Haitian decent and my face has looked exactly like your's for the past 15 years. I have even dug out ingrowns that were over an inch long. However, I have been bump free for almost 3 weeks and it is wonderful.

What worked for me was to grow out my beard until all the bumps are gone. I know, it itches like all hell for the first few weeks of growth with all those hairs coming out and turning right back into your face (so bad I even took a pumice stone to my face once because I was so frustrated).:mad:

Once my bumps were gone, I buzzed off the beard and started using a bic disposable for 2 weeks with C.O Bigalow cream (I would think any good cream would be fine). I made no more than 2 passes wtg during this time. My shaves weren't great as far as BBS but my skin never felt better.

My prep involved taking a nice hot shower. While in the shower, I figured I would use up the rest of the Aveeno canned goop I had by applying it to my face and letting it sit through my shower(may have been pointless). After the shave I used witch hazel and nivea after shave balm for sensitive skin. That's all it took. I am now using my red tip SS with crystals and C.O, TOBS, or Conks soap or cream with great results. I haven't been brave enough to go XTG or ATG due to fear of the bumps but I think I will get there soon.

I have since come to the conclusion that my skin was not sensitive at all. It was my method of shaving with crap razors that was the issue. Every so often I would suffer through letting my beard grow out to clear up the bumps but after the first shave they would be back with a vengence. I thought I was just cursed. Turns out I was just uninformed. I think you will have the same success once you clear up and get a fresh start. That I believe was the most important part. The razor, blades, creams or soaps and brushes aren't important at this point. That stuff won't get rid of the bumps but they will prevent them from coming back.

Again, I am a newb to all this so take it as you will but I do know your pain and would love to see you get over it as i finally did. It truly is a wonderful feeling finally being bump free.:biggrin:

G

gone down south

I haven't been brave enough to go XTG or ATG due to fear of the bumps but I think I will get there soon.

Remember, you don't necessarily have to shave at 90 degrees to your direction of growth - try doing your second pass at 25 or 30 degrees to start, gradually increasing the angle as you get more comfortable with it. :cool:

......Start with the razor perpendicular to your face then begin tilting it until you find the right angle for the blade to cut your beard. The "sweetspot" as it is called.
Also, going through this thread, maybe I missed it, but what brands of blades are you using. I would give a call out to one of 3 blades. The first would be the Israeli red pack Personnas, the second would be the Israeli Crystals (both made in the same plant) and third would be Dorco ST300 or ST301. The dorcos are noted for being a mild blade.

Your 'search for the sweetspot' tip is a great one. I will definitely keep this in mind. As for blades I have feathers, Derby's, Merkurs, Astra's and another one I believe, that I ordered in a sampler pack from Fendrihan. I will be also receiving some Dorco's (not sure of what type) with the Weishi razor. The red Personna's seem to be a crowd favourite for a nice shave, I may just order some of those as well.

Let me know if this stuff works for you and is worth the money.

Will do. Although, as many a B&B'r has firmly stated, technique is key and YMMV.

Potterton,

I am a newb at this but not at your type of condition. I am an American of Haitian decent and my face has looked exactly like your's for the past 15 years. I have even dug out ingrowns that were over an inch long. However, I have been bump free for almost 3 weeks and it is wonderful.

What worked for me was to grow out my beard until all the bumps are gone. I know, it itches like all hell for the first few weeks of growth with all those hairs coming out and turning right back into your face (so bad I even took a pumice stone to my face once because I was so frustrated).:mad:

Once my bumps were gone, I buzzed off the beard and started using a bic disposable for 2 weeks with C.O Bigalow cream (I would think any good cream would be fine). I made no more than 2 passes wtg during this time. My shaves weren't great as far as BBS but my skin never felt better.

My prep involved taking a nice hot shower. While in the shower, I figured I would use up the rest of the Aveeno canned goop I had by applying it to my face and letting it sit through my shower(may have been pointless). After the shave I used witch hazel and nivea after shave balm for sensitive skin. That's all it took. I am now using my red tip SS with crystals and C.O, TOBS, or Conks soap or cream with great results. I haven't been brave enough to go XTG or ATG due to fear of the bumps but I think I will get there soon.

I have since come to the conclusion that my skin was not sensitive at all. It was my method of shaving with crap razors that was the issue. Every so often I would suffer through letting my beard grow out to clear up the bumps but after the first shave they would be back with a vengence. I thought I was just cursed. Turns out I was just uninformed. I think you will have the same success once you clear up and get a fresh start. That I believe was the most important part. The razor, blades, creams or soaps and brushes aren't important at this point. That stuff won't get rid of the bumps but they will prevent them from coming back.

Again, I am a newb to all this so take it as you will but I do know your pain and would love to see you get over it as i finally did. It truly is a wonderful feeling finally being bump free.:biggrin:

It's comforting to hear that someone else has been through this. It will be a long yet benificial road to recovery.

Just to be clear, DE shaving is not the cause of this outbreak. The irritation was their already. I just attempted DE shaving as a way of finding a solution. I wish that I had read much more first because then I would have let the hair grow out from day one, so that I could use these tools with a freshly unblemished layer of skin. I'm confident that this time around will work.

Hi Pottertons.

The advice you've received so far regarding exfoliating the night before you shave as opposed to just before you shave is very sound indeed. I would add to that masking your shave area with a good natural moisturizer or aloe vera gel after exfoliating.

Also, you seem to be having difficulty deciding on blade/razor combo. Take those out of the equation by switching to Bic sensitive or Bic metal disposables, which will allow you to concentrate solely on prep and lathering because the razor will be your constant. Switching in/out blades or razors will just add to the confusion over what really works for you.

I had very similar problems to you, before learning how to shave properly, so there is hope! :001_smile

A couple of things. A really soft hair brush run through your beard will help with the itching some. Go easy though. Also a good "shampoo" of your beard with a moisturizing soap a couple of times a day will help remove the dead skin and tension in the follicles that cause the itch. Dove makes an aloe vera soap that works well on your face.

The other thing. You might think about getting a professional facial. My wife finally talked me into this a couple of years ago. Most places have a facial they do just for men. I was pretty amazed at how much good it did my skin.

ETA: The facial isn't a trip to the dermo but its pretty close.

Last edited:
growing the beard to let your skin take a break is the best way to reset. as your beard is growing i suggest a light brushing in the direction you will shave a good thing. it'll help remove some of the trapped hairs. let your beard grow as long as you can and then some.

when you're ready to shave again, buzz close w/ clippers. lots of advice here to follow and most of it good. keeping it simple w/ very few variables is what i'll add and also the use of an alum block at the end of the shaves. keeping your skin moisturized is where you'll get the benefits.

A couple of things. A really soft hair brush run through your beard will help with the itching some. Go easy though. Also a good "shampoo" of your beard with a moisturizing soap a couple of times a day will help remove the dead skin and tension in the follicles that cause the itch. Dove makes an aloe vera soap that works well on your face.

The other thing. You might think about getting a professional facial. My wife finally talked me into this a couple of years ago. Most places have a facial they do just for men. I was pretty amazed at how much good it did my skin.

ETA: The facial isn't a trip to the dermo but its pretty close.

I just started using my wave(hair) brush a couple of days ago. It does create some relief and makes the hair look tidy. The urge to just get in there with a proper rub is hard to avoid though. However, keeping the destination at the front of my mind makes it easier.

A person I know actually does the facial routine and apparantly for the same reason. To help fight the ingrowns. I may have to look into that.

full

full

full

Here are my updated pics. It's been over a week now since I last shaved. There are some signs of the irritation subsiding, but because of the hair growth it looks well messy. The ones near the bottom of the neck will probably take longer due to the slowness of hair growth in that particular area.
Gosh this is going to take a long time.....
In the meantime I ordered some witchazel for that post shave appointment.

If you look closely at the photos, you can actually physically see the ingrowns. Hopefully when a job is done with the pointed ingrown hair tweers I purchased yesterday, they will start to dissapear at a more rapid pace.

I went to my doctors yesterday and he's going to set me up with a derma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you're right; it's going to take a long time.

The doctors are really the ones running the show now, and all we can do is wish you well.

One small suggestion (against my own note) is that when you do finally shave again, start at the margins, just do a small area initially, and see how that goes.

The best of luck to you.

full

full

full

Here are my updated pics. It's been over a week now since I last shaved. There are some signs of the irritation subsiding, but because of the hair growth it looks well messy. The ones near the bottom of the neck will probably take longer due to the slowness of hair growth in that particular area.
Gosh this is going to take a long time.....
In the meantime I ordered some witchazel for that post shave appointment.

If you look closely at the photos, you can actually physically see the ingrowns. Hopefully when a job is done with the pointed ingrown hair tweers I purchased yesterday, they will start to dissapear at a more rapid pace.

I went to my doctors yesterday and he's going to set me up with a derma.

When I was in college, I had a friend who would suffer ingrowns as well. His skin however was very smooth and nearly bump free. He (and he was a clipper shaver) that he would shave every other day, which isn't he point of my story. When he was on his "off day" he would take a butter knife (yes a steel butterknife) and run it ATG of his beard growth. He said that it could lift the hairs (and in some cases pop them out of that little forming postule) and let them set against his face so that they were exposed when he shaved. He also said it helped with the itch.

Now, I can in no way warranty or reccomend this as a course of treatment (mostly because I was thoroughly disgusted at the thought of silverware being scraped along beard growth, and no I didn't eat in his dorm room) however, if you're looking for relief that's what he did, he said his father passed that tip on to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom