What's new

My Journey towards a BBS dream: W/Photos. (Warning, not for the faint-hearted)

Perhaps I might be able to help a little bit.

I've got some pretty sensitive skin too. If I try to ATG, I get bumps like you do, although they are not nearly as bad (I just get a red sort of a rash). Repeated days of irritation will cause my face to become red and irritated and generally sore. I have found the best thing to do in this case is to not shave for a day (or longer) until the irritation subsides.

Do you have naturally oily skin, or is it normal to dry? If you have naturally oily skin then perhaps just one facial cleansing wash might be good. If you have normal to dry skin, try skipping the pre shave wash altogether.

Do you have access to any other soaps/creams? That proraso stuff is considered awesome by many, but it may not be good for your sensitive skin. I have personally found that anything with a scent to it will burn my skin, and mint/menthol is painful. Would it be possible for you to try a cream/soap that is unscented/unspiked?

I also recommend you try some other blades. Astras, Derbys, and Red IP's are fairly high on the try list (especially Astras).

I would say that I have normal to dry skin. However, i'm a heavy perspirator.
As for the soaps and creams, I do have some other options and in fact, someone else did mention that the Proraso that I have may not be the greatest choice for me. Which I find ironic being that it's particularly for "Sensitive Skin". The shave that I did yesterday (XTG/ATG) was done with Body Shops Macca root shaving cream which I find to be a smooth shave....

proxy.php

.....No pre shave wash or lather, just a hot shower and hot towel. I also have Col.Conks Bay rum Soap and a little sampler of Edwin Jagger Cream which I received from Fendrihan when I order the Feather, Astra, Merkur and Derby Sampler pack. The shave was also done with a Derby blade rather than a Feather. I will post pics soon.

What I'm wondering is if that is acne (i.e. your skin always looks bumpy) or if that is post-shave irritation? Or both (no need to have false dichotomies).
About feathers, go for it! Seriously. They're not that bad. Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows are great too. I hated Derbys. I don't have a super tough beard, but it was tough enough that Derbys would just get stuck and not move through the hair. They suck...You pay less, you get less. On the issue of money, you didn't have to pay that much for a Merkur. I'm pretty sure you know that by now. Great vendors to check out are :
westcoastshaving.com
vintagebladesllc.com

The Neutrogena canned goop may actually be drying your skin and hairs out, so that they are harder to shave. Skip that nasty crap. Try a shower only. Try hot towels only. Try both together. See what makes your hair softer. If your brush irritates your skin, you could get a great, soft brush for less than what you paid for your razor. Check at westcoastshaving to see if they still have the shavemac sale. Or a Rooney 1/1 in super. It's stiff like a boar, but not scritchy and rough on the skin.
On to the shave. Try to mess around a bit with the angle. I noticed that when I shave, I actually get better results from an angle that to me seems to be a tiny bit less than 30 degrees. I usually do this on my ATG pass, and it leads to an easier shave with smoother skin and less irritation. So mess around a TINY bit with the angle. See if slight shifts make shaving more comfortable.
Most of all though, I'd suggest new blades. Sometimes all the prep in the world and the perfect angle and the perfect lack of pressure just won't help a blade that doesn't work for you get through your hairs. Like if I'm noticing problems with Feathers or 7 O'clocks I immediately think of something being wrong in my prep, because they are sharp enough to cut through my hair. With a less sharp blade however, I'd need utterly perfect prep to get the damn thing to cut anything closely, and we all know that perfection is unattainable.
Good luck

I'm lost. What exactly am I doing that varies from Kyle's pre-shave method. As far as I know, i've been following it to a tee. What am I missing or doing to much of?

Here are the differences I picked up from your prep description, above (I may have missed some):

1. Showering before shaving. Don't.

2. Face scrub before shaving (Neutorgena Razor Defence exfoliating face wash). Don't.

3. Using a different product for initial lathering. Don't.

(I don't know how effective the Nivea would be as compared to the Proraso, but for now I'd stick with one SS/SC, and I'd use the Proraso over the Nivea.)

4. Using the Proraso pre-shave. Don't.

(I will confess I use the Proraso pre-shave instead of the lather in Kyle's Prep, but only after a fair amount of experimenting and finding out it worked better for me than the lather does.)

5. Showering again (with the hot towel this time) before shaving. Don't.

I really think you are abusing your skin with all the hot water, scrubbing, etc. I just don' think it can take this much and have a metal blade drawn across it, no matter how little pressure you use.

I recommend re-reading Kyle's Prep several times through (that's what it took for me to fully get it, anyway) and then start fresh once your skin has healed.

Best wishes on your progress!

Nice thread. I will be looking forward to know more about your adventure. I wish you better shaves in the future and less irritations my friend.

Take care.

Just out of curiosity what did you shave with prior to DE - and how did you shave it (WTG, ATG, etc)?
Did this irritation start before you went to DE or after?

I think you should let it grow out and get a fresh start - let that irritation die down.

This is also unconventional advice for this forum but i'm also not sure if DE is the best for you or not.
Have you ever tried a simple 2 blade cartridge like Gillette Atra Plus?
You might be right that WTG is causing your irritation - but I would be very curious to know what would happen if you first let your beard grow out to heal your skin, and then shaved daily only WTG with the the Atra Plus (or other two blade razor) - to see what happened.
I would do no more than 2 WTG passes (or just N-S passes), everyday.
I'm suggesting a two blade specifically since the 3, 4, 5 blade systems often cause too much ingrowns and irritation since they cut the hair too close to the skin, but a two blade system is much more gentle while also providing a good shave - but it also doesn't require as much skill as DE.

I have heard DE can help some people with difficult skin but one problem with DE is it requires many passes which can irritate some people in itself and it also requires "perfect" angles. Right now you have enough problems to deal with, with the irritation, so I would switch to something easier but yet gentle.

I'm wondering since although I have different skin than you, if my skin gets inflamed with my DE learning ritual, and I switch to the Atra Plus only going N-S, my irritation goes away.

Also in my case my facial hair is pretty consistent - N-to-S grain pattern (with some slight leaning towards e-w but mostly N-S).
If your grain pattern is very erratic than I might just consider shaving with the Atra Plus N-S every day and forget about the grain altogether.
The reason is that if you get irritation sometimes consistency is more important than the grain I think. Meaning if you constantly change your blade angel to meet different grain patterns, it is easy to mess up and over shave a single area and lead to irritation. Whereas if every single day you do a simple consistent shaving pattern you will not make any bad angles, you will not over shave a single spot, and it will be soothing because your face will get used to it.

Of course your results may be different but those are my thoughts.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity what did you shave with prior to DE - and how did you shave it (WTG, ATG, etc)?
Did this irritation start before you went to DE or after?

I think you should let it grow out and get a fresh start - let that irritation die down.

This is also unconventional advice for this forum but i'm also not sure if DE is the best for you or not.
Have you ever tried a simple 2 blade cartridge like Gillette Atra Plus?
You might be right that WTG is causing your irritation - but I would be very curious to know what would happen if you first let your beard grow out to heal your skin, and then shaved daily only WTG with the the Atra Plus (or other two blade razor) - to see what happened.
I would do no more than 2 WTG passes (or just N-S passes), everyday.
I'm suggesting a two blade specifically since the 3, 4, 5 blade systems often cause too much ingrowns and irritation since they cut the hair too close to the skin, but a two blade system is much more gentle while also providing a good shave - but it also doesn't require as much skill as DE.

I have heard DE can help some people with difficult skin but one problem with DE is it requires many passes which can irritate some people in itself and it also requires "perfect" angles. Right now you have enough problems to deal with, with the irritation, so I would switch to something easier but yet gentle.

I'm wondering since although I have different skin than you, if my skin gets inflamed with my DE learning ritual, and I switch to the Atra Plus only going N-S, my irritation goes away.

Also in my case my facial hair is pretty consistent - N-to-S grain pattern (with some slight leaning towards e-w but mostly N-S).
If your grain pattern is very erratic than I might just consider shaving with the Atra Plus N-S every day and forget about the grain altogether.
The reason is that if you get irritation sometimes consistency is more important than the grain I think. Meaning if you constantly change your blade angel to meet different grain patterns, it is easy to mess up and over shave a single area and lead to irritation. Whereas if every single day you do a simple consistent shaving pattern you will not make any bad angles, you will not over shave a single spot, and it will be soothing because your face will get used to it.

Of course your results may be different but those are my thoughts.

Good luck.

I did have the irritation before I started using the DE. Actually, the irritation (albeit, not quite as bad at the time) was the reason why I registered to B&B. I was searching for days, maybe weeks for something that I had not read or heard about already that could help me rid of this 15+ year problem.

For the majority of my beard growing life, i've used and Andis OUtliner for my beard. I Always shaved against the grain and quite aggressively too because a clipper does not get anywhere near as close as a blade. I didn't get any irritation, just the odd bump which would soon fade away because I only shaved about twice a week.
My reason for switching to a blade (1st attempt was about 10 years ago) was because wanted a better shave and the Clippers would practically leave me with a 5 o'clock shadow.
I first used a Wilkinson Sword triple blade and was extremely naive and ignorant. The result? EXCRUTIATING PAIN. Even worse than the pics in the O.P. I'm talking, could not touch my face even to scratch the unbearable itch unless i was in the shower or something, not to mention the fact that my bumps would bleed from the scratching, I just couldn't help it.
That was the first and last time I did that. I let the hair grow out fully, and then went back to the clippers.
I started up again with a twin blade Gillette pivot disposable. I had read a few articles and threads elsewhere and thought that using a twin blade would not cause as much irritation. However i was constantly going against the grain and with quite some pressure to.

When I saw B&B, wetshaving was the only thing that I had not tried. Thus the reason for being so into this site as it seems to be the true answer to a good'n'proper shave.

As a fellow black male who suffers from the same "razor bumps" I can tell you that I've reduced the amount and duration drastically since I started DE shaving. I'll give you some prep routine I settled on after much research and trial and error.
1) First, in my opinion you must NEVER exfoliate before you shave. If you're going to do it, do it at least 20 minutes to a half hour before. Exfoliation does its job be roughing the hell out of your skin. As a result the skin is clearer, but irritated by the exfoliant. The slight bit of swelling that results raises the skin and squeezes the pores. When you run a razor over that you have ingrown hairs that are waiting to be born.

2. I would wash the face to clear the pores of oils but nothing to vigourous. The shower does a great job of warming the face, your pre-lather isn't necessary, in fact, you want that nice hot water to hit the pores and open them up to release moisture (and expose hairs) and get the hairs relaxed and easy to shave. Again, DO NOT use an exfoliant. Use a foam cleanser or your favorite cleanser of choice, but nothing with an exfoliant before shaving.

3. I noticed in your prep, there was no pre-shave oil. This I think is a lifesaver for your face. The pre-shave oil serves as a protectant from the scalpel you're about to take to your face. Not only does it prevent the razor from pulling the skin, it helps to glide over existing bumps. I have tried T&H and AOS and I switch back and forth depending on how much protection I want. AOS sandalwood pre-shave goes on thicker than T&H and requires more rinsing of the razor between passes, but I don't mind that. I use it as soon as I exit the shower, with the beard area still a little wet.

4. I can't tell but your brush looks to be boar hair? If your skin is sensitive (and it is) you may want to find a badger hair brush. Again, a stiffer bristle while agitate the skin, which you don't want before you shave. Badger as you know holds more water and is a bit gentler, but it works the hairs out rather than scraping them.

5. Soap or cream is your choice, whatever works best for you and your skin just make sure you get 1 1/2 to 2 minutes time lathering.

6. As to your shave passes, go short, don't make long passes, as they can just gum up your razor and not shear the hair the way they other wise should. Some people pull the skin to expose more hair in passes, I don't. Pulling exposes the hair, but allows it to set back down under the skin when you relax it. Just run the razor along the skin until your skin gets used to it and the hairs get conditioned to this new treatment. NEVER go against the grain!!!! Just like hairs on your head, your facial hair is trained to grow in a certain direction. For Black Males, (or anyone with sensitive skin, I find) taking a razor and forcing it the other way is murder!!

7. I do a first shave, check for trouble spots (not the entire beard again) and do another. Two shaves max, like it or not, until the hair gets used to the treatment. The trick with taking a cotton ball and running it along your face and neck to determine hair growth works fantastically. Follow the path of natural beard growth.

8. Nice hot rinse, follow with a cold one, because it (allegedly) closes pores and it feels good. Alcohol dries the skin, which produces more oil in return, which you don't want because it fights with the hair in your beard for position coming out of the pore! A nice alcolhol free balm does well I think.

9. I exfoliate 3 days a week, usually at night. Afterward, I use a good ingrown hair treatment. (AOS) makes a good, although pricey one which lasts 3-4 months depending on your use. Those put a nice healing layer of stuff on the skin before you sleep, so when your beard hairs are growing and being pressed against a pillow (Think about it, your face gets more direct contact with objects for a longer period while sleeping than awake) there is a protectant that allows those hairs to inch out and over the skin as opposed to back into it.

Just my experience. WIth the irritation you have, I'd grow it out for a bit and try again. It's gonna hurt, my chin used to be irritated as yours was but after a few weeks, it went away and feels and looks much, much better.

Last, for sensitive skin, 3-5 shaves per blade, Max. You need a guillotine to clip the hairs as soon as it touches them. I like Feather blades for that purpose. Also, because they are so sharp, you're forced to go SLOW, which would only help your skin.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Oh yes, if you're interested, there are facial brushes that are made to exfoliate. I one I got at www.detailsformen.com I use it at night when I'm preparing the face for sleep, and let the face settle a bit before apply razor bump treatment. Seems like a lot of work, but works out to about 20 minutes a day, 15 of which is spent shaving in the morning. Good luck.

As a fellow black male who suffers from the same "razor bumps" I can tell you that I've reduced the amount and duration drastically since I started DE shaving. I'll give you some prep routine I settled on after much research and trial and error.
1) First, in my opinion you must NEVER exfoliate before you shave. If you're going to do it, do it at least 20 minutes to a half hour before. Exfoliation does its job be roughing the hell out of your skin. As a result the skin is clearer, but irritated by the exfoliant. The slight bit of swelling that results raises the skin and squeezes the pores. When you run a razor over that you have ingrown hairs that are waiting to be born.

2. I would wash the face to clear the pores of oils but nothing to vigourous. The shower does a great job of warming the face, your pre-lather isn't necessary, in fact, you want that nice hot water to hit the pores and open them up to release moisture (and expose hairs) and get the hairs relaxed and easy to shave. Again, DO NOT use an exfoliant. Use a foam cleanser or your favorite cleanser of choice, but nothing with an exfoliant before shaving.

3. I noticed in your prep, there was no pre-shave oil. This I think is a lifesaver for your face. The pre-shave oil serves as a protectant from the scalpel you're about to take to your face. Not only does it prevent the razor from pulling the skin, it helps to glide over existing bumps. I have tried T&H and AOS and I switch back and forth depending on how much protection I want. AOS sandalwood pre-shave goes on thicker than T&H and requires more rinsing of the razor between passes, but I don't mind that. I use it as soon as I exit the shower, with the beard area still a little wet.

4. I can't tell but your brush looks to be boar hair? If your skin is sensitive (and it is) you may want to find a badger hair brush. Again, a stiffer bristle while agitate the skin, which you don't want before you shave. Badger as you know holds more water and is a bit gentler, but it works the hairs out rather than scraping them.

5. Soap or cream is your choice, whatever works best for you and your skin just make sure you get 1 1/2 to 2 minutes time lathering.

6. As to your shave passes, go short, don't make long passes, as they can just gum up your razor and not shear the hair the way they other wise should. Some people pull the skin to expose more hair in passes, I don't. Pulling exposes the hair, but allows it to set back down under the skin when you relax it. Just run the razor along the skin until your skin gets used to it and the hairs get conditioned to this new treatment. NEVER go against the grain!!!! Just like hairs on your head, your facial hair is trained to grow in a certain direction. For Black Males, (or anyone with sensitive skin, I find) taking a razor and forcing it the other way is murder!!

7. I do a first shave, check for trouble spots (not the entire beard again) and do another. Two shaves max, like it or not, until the hair gets used to the treatment. The trick with taking a cotton ball and running it along your face and neck to determine hair growth works fantastically. Follow the path of natural beard growth.

8. Nice hot rinse, follow with a cold one, because it (allegedly) closes pores and it feels good. Alcohol dries the skin, which produces more oil in return, which you don't want because it fights with the hair in your beard for position coming out of the pore! A nice alcolhol free balm does well I think.

9. I exfoliate 3 days a week, usually at night. Afterward, I use a good ingrown hair treatment. (AOS) makes a good, although pricey one which lasts 3-4 months depending on your use. Those put a nice healing layer of stuff on the skin before you sleep, so when your beard hairs are growing and being pressed against a pillow (Think about it, your face gets more direct contact with objects for a longer period while sleeping than awake) there is a protectant that allows those hairs to inch out and over the skin as opposed to back into it.

Just my experience. WIth the irritation you have, I'd grow it out for a bit and try again. It's gonna hurt, my chin used to be irritated as yours was but after a few weeks, it went away and feels and looks much, much better.

Last, for sensitive skin, 3-5 shaves per blade, Max. You need a guillotine to clip the hairs as soon as it touches them. I like Feather blades for that purpose. Also, because they are so sharp, you're forced to go SLOW, which would only help your skin.

Hope this helps.

Oh yes, if you're interested, there are facial brushes that are made to exfoliate. I one I got at www.detailsformen.com I use it at night when I'm preparing the face for sleep, and let the face settle a bit before apply razor bump treatment. Seems like a lot of work, but works out to about 20 minutes a day, 15 of which is spent shaving in the morning. Good luck.

Absolutely Brilliant advice. I take heed and have already started the gruesome hair growth. Can't wait til it's over. I've often heard good things about the pre-shave oils and will place an order for one of them soon. Also, the brush you speak off, is it this one....
proxy.php

.....Oils....
proxy.php

and
proxy.php

..........?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
You have a trophy case of Pseudofolliculitis. There is actually a lot of information on the web about it. Here's a link to some general information. When you see the dermatologist he'll have some good info on how to treat this. The pictures of your face are actually worse than what is shown in the link. The exfoliation is just making things worse. Think of it as just sandpapering already inflamed skin.

From the experience of some friends with this conditon growing a beard is the 100% cure. Don't put off seeing the dermo though, he'll get you back on track.

Absolutely Brilliant advice. I take heed and have already started the gruesome hair growth. Can't wait til it's over. I've often heard good things about the pre-shave oils and will place an order for one of them soon. Also, the brush you speak off, is it this one....
proxy.php

.....Oils....
proxy.php

and
proxy.php

..........?

Thanks again.

You got it, I use those products exactly. Sandalwood AOS smells nice and I do like the T&H because you use less to achieve the same result, but I waited a few weeks (a month) before I switched to something that wasn't as heavy as the AOS products.

Don't forget the razor bump treatment. I'm guessing you already have a good pair of tweezers as well. Unfortunately, I don't know that you'll be rid of them completely, but after a while, you'll notice less of them and a lady friend will enjoy the smoother, softer skin. Mine does! :biggrin1:

As an FYI if your face is oily, other posters suggest a dermatologist, I would agree, they can provide products that lessen the oil without drying your face out.

A good toner balances the ph level on your skin after all that wash, rinse, lather, shave, rinse, etc. I apply that right before I use a good ASB. Oh yeah, I don't rub in any products, with toner, I have a spray bottle and just pump a few over the beard and face and I pat the balm on until its soaked in.

A good tip for summer I got from a friend. Right before I start the whole process, I take a towel (your baby towel would work) wet it, squeeze the water out and toss it in the freezer. After shaving and rinsing, I take it out and just pat the face with it. Feels like the cold rinse, but colder!

I would also recommend avoiding exfoliation. Your skin is way way way too sensitive. Same deal with the boar brush. You need something very soft. I've heard the Kent BK4 is damn soft, so if money is not a problem, then pick one of those up (if only money were not a problem, I'd have one of those :(). They're not super expensive, but I just can't spend more on shaving stuff.
Again, I'd say NO exfoliation for you and I'd agree with the recommendation to visit a dermatologist.
I'm also wary of Art of Shaving. I think a good moisturizer would do you fine in place of the Ingrown Hair Treatment they sell, but I can't prove that, only you can.

You got it, I use those products exactly. Sandalwood AOS smells nice and I do like the T&H because you use less to achieve the same result, but I waited a few weeks (a month) before I switched to something that wasn't as heavy as the AOS products.

Don't forget the razor bump treatment. I'm guessing you already have a good pair of tweezers as well. Unfortunately, I don't know that you'll be rid of them completely, but after a while, you'll notice less of them and a lady friend will enjoy the smoother, softer skin. Mine does! :biggrin1:

As an FYI if your face is oily, other posters suggest a dermatologist, I would agree, they can provide products that lessen the oil without drying your face out.

A good toner balances the ph level on your skin after all that wash, rinse, lather, shave, rinse, etc. I apply that right before I use a good ASB. Oh yeah, I don't rub in any products, with toner, I have a spray bottle and just pump a few over the beard and face and I pat the balm on until its soaked in.

A good tip for summer I got from a friend. Right before I start the whole process, I take a towel (your baby towel would work) wet it, squeeze the water out and toss it in the freezer. After shaving and rinsing, I take it out and just pat the face with it. Feels like the cold rinse, but colder!

With the pre-shave oil, I still add cream or soap on top, correct?

Man, I wish I started this process when I first sign-up on here a couple weeks ago. Don't know what i'm going to do for these weddings coming up. Too bad it wasn't winter......Turtle necks. LOL

A few questions regarding your response....

As you guessed my brush is indeed a boar bristle one. Now, after reading Joel's thread on Badger Brushes, I was thinking of going for a "Best" Badger brush. However, when considering what you've mentioned in the 4th segment, I'm now thinking of going with a Silvertip. Would this be a better decision you think?
I ask because the softer the bristle, the less detrimental friction it will cause; yet at the same time i'm thinking that with coarse hair, a stronger bristle may be needed to help better expose the hairs.

Also, in regards to the 9th segment, where you mention the (AOS) Ingrown hair night cream; I was wondering if this product would help subside the constant urge to scratch during the "grow out period". Trying to withold the urge has got to be the hardest part of this process and it doesn't help that the nature of my employment involves exposure to refrigerated temperatures. :frown:

Lastly, what about razors. I read on here that the Weishi Classic DE Razors are good for a less aggressive, mild shave and they seem to be very reasonably priced. I've also read about the Merkur Futur adjustables. Do you have any feedback on these, or any other recommendations for mild razors?

In the meantime, do you happen to know of any remedies that would help with the "ITCH". :mad::biggrin:

Your thoughts!

Last edited:
There is some interesting advice on this thread. Some of it I like, some I don't. Everyone's face is different, however, so it's hard to judge someone else's experience, unless we just look at the results.

I have very sensitive skin with fairly coarse hair and I have suffered in the past from razor bumps. No more.

Here is my 2¢ and it's worked for me:

1. Don't exfoliate, it will unnecessarily irritate your skin. Besides, no facial scrub is going to exfoliate more than dragging a razor across your skin (which you already do!)

2. Don't use soaps or washes or scrubs or any of that stuff. Wash your face with a basic, mild facial moisturizer based on liquid paraffin and/or glycerin. Aqueous cream if you are in the UK is good and cheap, as is Nivea Soft (maybe the best). Use it as a moisturizer too after you shave. The less additives the better.

3. Don't use shaving soaps or foams. The mildest shave cream I have tried is Trader Joe's Shave Cream (brushless) which is apparently the same as Alba's Moisturizing Cream Shave. I'm new to DE, but I've been wetshaving and trying creams for 20 years and this one is the best.

4. Don't use an aftershave. Just rinse with cold water. Use a washcloth with cold water, and wring it out to pat-dry your face with instead of a dry towel. Then apply the moisturizer on your still damp skin. Nivea Soft is best. Don't be afraid to use too much if you have dry skin.

5. Shave every other day. Don't needlessly irritate your skin.

Those are my main tips. As I am not an expert DE shaver I can't say much other than doing the above AND shaving with a DE, which has almost totally solved my skin problems. I used to grow a beard and trim it with clippers, only occasionally shaving my neck (and getting a few bumps for the trouble). Now I shave every other day with a DE and could get away with shaving every day. I don't use a brush as I think it may irritate my skin, though I've never tried one. Basically, I minimize drying out and irritating my skin and I maximize moisturizing and it's working out fantastically.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you!

You have a trophy case of Pseudofolliculitis. There is actually a lot of information on the web about it. Here's a link to some general information. When you see the dermatologist he'll have some good info on how to treat this. The pictures of your face are actually worse than what is shown in the link. The exfoliation is just making things worse. Think of it as just sandpapering already inflamed skin.

From the experience of some friends with this conditon growing a beard is the 100% cure. Don't put off seeing the dermo though, he'll get you back on track.

I think that this is probably some of the best advice here - I'm no expert, but your situation is well beyond the norm.

That being said, I think that some of the advice here is on the right track.

Skip the exfoliation as part of your prep - if you want to exfoliate, do it at night (I'm assuming you shave in the morning).

Keep it simple, shower, lather up your soap, shave and do post-shave. (and I don't think the Proraso is a bad choice). You might want to try a hard soap that has a good reputation for being non-irritating (the Harris, T&H/Culmak, among others are quality soaps that seem to work for a lot of people - also, they have tallow, which I think is a good product - another option is a mild, lightly or unscented glycerine soap).

While I'm not a huge fan of shave oils, they do have their fans - I've used a couple and there are lots of drugstores that carry a decent shave oil that will work as well as the T&H, but cost much less.

What are you doing post-shave - I think an alcohol splash might be worth trying - while there is a sting factor, I do think that they help tone the skin and reduce infection (this is my experience, but non-scientific).
This can be followed by a light balm/moisturizer.

In terms of blades, I think that the Feather may not be a great choice as some folks (including me) find it TOO sharp - I often get some irritation the first shave or two with a feather. I'd suggest a middle of the road blade that has a good combination of sharpness and smoothness such as Crystals or Red IPs (if you want to try these, send me a PM and I'll send a few of each your way to try).

Your razor choice is fine - there are milder razors out there, but the Merkur is not overly aggressive.

But going back to where I started, I think visiting a doctor/dermatologist is a good idea. In the interim, I would take a less is more approach and use very mild products and do less prep, washing, exfoliating, etc.

Hope this is useful.

A few questions regarding your response....

As you guessed my brush is indeed a boar bristle one. Now, after reading Joel's thread on Badger Brushes, I was thinking of going for a "Best" Badger brush. However, when considering what you've mentioned in the 4th segment, I'm now thinking of going with a Silvertip. Would this be a better decision you think?
I ask because the softer the bristle, the less detrimental friction it will cause; yet at the same time i'm thinking that with coarse hair, a stronger bristle may be needed to help better expose the hairs.

Also, in regards to the 9th segment, where you mention the (AOS) Ingrown hair night cream; I was wondering if this product would help subside the constant urge to scratch during the "grow out period". Trying to withold the urge has got to be the hardest part of this process and it doesn't help that the nature of my employment involves exposure to refrigerated temperatures. :frown:

Lastly, what about razors. I read on here that the Weishi Classic DE Razors are good for a less aggressive, mild shave and they seem to be very reasonably priced. I've also read about the Merkur Futur adjustables. Do you have any feedback on these, or any other recommendations for mild razors?

In the meantime, do you happen to know of any remedies that would help with the "ITCH". :mad::biggrin:

Your thoughts!

I am also looking at a Kent BK4, but debating whether or not to wait until I can justify the purchase of the BK12 or a solid Vulfix. With your skin, I would probably go with a solid brush that is both capable of holding nice hot water and lather as well as a bit softer to gently raise hairs. I think anything that would push lather under the hairs (i'm guessing that your hair grows lying against your face, as opposed to up and then out) would also give you the mild exfoliation you want. That said, I have a pure brush that I use for travel that I find rougher, and doesn't hold nearly as much water as the best badger I use at home (However, now that I'm slowly becoming addicted, I'll be experimenting with different brushes, anyone got a few to sell?)

My thoughts on the subject is that you'll have less the painful occurences if you give the lather and oil time to get the hairs exposed and skin well lubricated. I agree with all posters who say the prep holds the solution to these problems.

As to the damned itching, I've not found anything to avoid this, but I'd love some ideas if anyone has them as well.

Lastly, I use a Merkur Futur (at least until I can justify the purchase of the vision). I've had good results with that and its my everyday razor for now. The "1" setting worked out until I experienced less hairs, now I play with the adjustments to see what works best for me.

I woul dtry the KISS principal (keep it simple silly), you will find that the shaving brush will exfoliate the skin by itself. The exfoliating soaps and creams tend to agravate you skind and a razor passing over it can make it worse. I have teh following routine that seems to work, and I have many friends that have had success with it.

1) Use a hot towel on your face before shaving to open your pores.

2) Lather your face with a good non-menthol sahving soap, try using a glycrine based soap for a smoother pass.

3) Learn you face and shave with the grain on the first pass, and as other say no pressure. ( take the time to study the contures of you face al learn how you hair grows. )

4) Relather your face and go XTG if needed, again no pressure.

5) After shaving apply a cold towel to you face to close the pores.

6) Apply a good after shave balm to condition the skin.

Remember you are reducing the length of the hair not removing it. When you hair gets cut below the skin you will get razor bumps. Go slow and work up to the BBS.

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom