What's new

My journey to here.

Hello all. Not sure how much expertise I'll provide to the forum(s), being a 'rookie' to the whole DE shaving experience. That would be a 'rookie' whose in his mid 40's. :biggrin1:
Rather, please allow me to give a brief synopsis of 'how I got to this place'. Started my shaving career as many of us, by borrowing dad's shaver (Philishave 3 head rotary). Spent a few (peach fuzz) years convincing myself that it was actually was necessary :001_rolle.
Continuing on through the first number of years trying to find the perfect electric razor. Rotaries, foil types etc.. Never got a good shave, and was left red and raw in the process. Then eureka, I thought I'd found the holy grail! Tried my first cartridge razor, a Gillette Sensor Excel. Compared to the electrics I had used, it was a dream. Slapped on some 'cream in a can', and went to town. Had the smoothest, most comfortable shave ever (till that time). Progressed through a few variations of cartridge razors, Gillette Mach 3, and Schick Quattro's. To be fair, I always considered that the cartridge razors did a good job. However I was provided an opportunity.
Going forward, I'm continuing my 'shaving life' the same way it started. By using something that was my dad's. Dad passed on about four years ago, and as a keepsake I received the only DE razor he had. A Gillette Tech '1932' Canada. It is in fine shape, but by the wear on it I know he used it more than the few times I had opportunity to see. (He preferred electric rotaries). I've had opportunity to use it a few times now. Used some Wilkinson (blue container) shaving soap...and went for it. Best shave I've ever had, and even managed to come out of it nick free.
As for the continuation of my shaving life, I can see myself becoming a DE convert. I've ordered extra blades for it. Have also ordered some shaving soap, Edwin Jagger Sandalwood. I look forward to trying it.
Not to be sentimental, but the stories my Tech could tell. I look forward to years of good shaves. Thanks for 'listening'.

Last edited:
Hello all. Not sure how much expertise I'll provide to the forum(s), being a 'rookie' to the whole DE shaving experience. That would be a 'rookie' whose in his mid 40's. :biggrin1:
Rather, please allow me to give a brief synopsis of 'how I got to this place'. Started my shaving career as many of us, by borrowing dad's shaver (Philishave 3 head rotary). Spent a few (peach fuzz) years convincing myself that it was actually was necessary :001_rolle.
Continuing on through the first number of years trying to find the perfect electric razor. Rotaries, foil types etc.. Never got a good shave, and was left red and raw in the process. Then eureka, I thought I'd found the holy grail! Tried my first cartridge razor, a Gillette Sensor Excel. Compared to the electrics I had used, it was a dream. Slapped on some 'cream in a can', and went to town. Had the smoothest, most comfortable shave ever (till that time). Progressed through a few variations of cartridge razors, Gillette Mach 3, and Schick Quattro's. To be fair, I always considered that the cartridge razors did a good job. However I was provided an opportunity.
Going forward, I'm continuing my 'shaving life' the same way it started. By using something that was my dad's. Dad passed on about four years ago, and as a keepsake I received the only DE razor he had. A Gillette Tech '1932' Canada. It is in fine shape, but by the wear on it I know he used it more than the few times I had opportunity to see. (He preferred electric rotaries). I've had opportunity to use it a few times now. Used some Wilkinson (blue container) shaving soap...and went for it. Best shave I've ever had, and even managed to come out of it nick free.
As for the continuation of my shaving life, I can see myself becoming a DE convert. I've ordered extra blades for it. Have also ordered some shaving soap, Edwin Jagger Sandalwood. I look forward to trying it.
Not to be sentimental, but the stories my Tech could tell. I look forward to years of good shaves. Thanks for 'listening'.
Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story. I welcome you the B&B Shave Clinic and Newbie check in. Your dad Tech is a great razor, they are mild and good razors to train on. I would sugest a good badger brush to complete your shave arsenal.

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your path to DE shaving. I too started my DE shave journey with a razor passed to me when my father passed. Have fun and post often about your Journey,

Top Bottom