What's new

My Journey - So Far

Thanks for your story. You actually made me get up and dig under my bathroom sink to find the name of the original cartridge razor I bought when I was 16. It was a Schick Tracer. I'm 54 now, and I think you pretty much have to sell your house to buy a refill pack of cartridges. About 15 years ago I happened to be at some discount store and they had like 12 packs of refills for like a buck a piece. I bought them all. But I later switched to a DE then to a straight so I think I still have like 2 or 3 refill packs left. Maybe I should put them up on ebay for 100 bucks each LOL.

Again, thanks for your story

I've been riding motorcycles for 45 years and still have one, a Yamaha FJR1300 sport-touring bike. Really fast and smooth. But I got COVID a couple of years ago and have never totally recovered. It's pretty much sat in the garage the last couple of years. My sense of balance isn't what it used to be and a few months away from 70 years old, I no longer have the sense of adventure I once did. I plan on selling the bike this Spring and finally letting go over one of my great passions. I've traveled a lot of states on motorcycles over the years and have tons of great memories but the time has come to pursue other things.
Today I ordered another electric guitar, which has become one of my passions the last few years. It's a lot safer than riding a motorcycle. :wink:
That sounds like a serious bout with Covid. I'm so sorry you have some lasting effects from it. I spent three days in the hospital for it myself but I escaped pretty unscathed. The only thing lasting is my sense of smell is messed up. I can smell but not very well. All these wonderful shaving soaps and after shaves and such I have a hard time smelling. Maybe that is why I like ARKO 😁
- Boris

Doesn’t the Meji have two different sides? One more aggressive than the other? The scalloped side might be more forward than the solid bar side. This may contribute to you still having to dial in this razor (next to the weight issue you mentioned).

Enjoy!

Guido
It does indeed have two distinct sides, as you said. I shaved with it this morning and there is a slight difference. I use both sides, depending upon how heavy my beard is and where it is on my face that I'm shaving.

2) Yes, there are differences between blades/razors/soaps/faces so indeed, as the saying goes, YMMV. Example: almost everyone loves the Voskhod. I wanted to like the like the Voskhod. But the Voskhod doesn't particularly like me; I seem to battle some irritation. I've got a few more blades left and I'll try them again but so far, to my disappointment, they're not working terribly well for me (same with the Gillette Silver Blue).
Without question, the blades I've found work best for me are Astra SP's, Derby Extras, Gillette Nacets, Wizamet Iridium Supers & Bolzano Superinoxes. I could live with any of them on a daily bases. As it is, the two I've stocked up the most on are Derbys and Astras, both of which are good bargains.
I think this is one of the things I like about this hobby (or should I say completely justified purchasing of required equipment) is the YMMV. I similarly have been reading many of the blogs to get an idea of the best blades and would currently suspect that Feather or Astra SP's would be my likely favourite from the readings. But being new to the game I have only just started testing different blades and so far love the Muhle blades. But as they are only the second blade brand I have tried (KCG being the first) I have a lot of testing to go.

Rather than there being a clear known winner of x razor with y blades that is very expensive, the personal aspect of preference and feel mean the perfect razor and blade combination is potentially different for everyone, with blade preference potentially changing from razor to razor.

That is how I am going to justify needing to buy more razors in the future anyway. Just looking for the Razor and Blade combination for life.

Love the journal and hearing about your transition to life after cartridge shaving.

One funny/odd aspect to my journey is that after over half a century of shaving maybe 4 or 5 times a week in the workaday world, now in my retirement after switching to safety razors, I tend to shave every day.
It's because I enjoy it now. I have the time not to hurry and I get a much better shave and it's not a chore now. I look forward to it. (Today was a rare non-shave day.)
Before I get up, I lay in bed and plan which razor/blade/soap/shave cream/brush I'll be using after my shower.
Back in the Olde Days, it was the last thing on my mind aside from, "Groan. I have to go to work. And I've gotta shave. Ugh."

I log every shave in an Excel spread sheet where I list the razor, blade, number of shaves on that blade, soap/shave cream/brush and a few comments.
This morning was my 100th DE Safety Razor shave. It happened to be the Game Changer with a Gillette Platinum blade and Cremo Classic, which was a very nice combination.

Thanks to @desertcat, who generously offered me a slightly-used puck of Tabac for a very reasonable price!
I tried my first shave with it yesterday morning and was blown away by it. I love the scent and it lathered better than any of the 4 shave soaps I've used so far in my journey. And it was slick and I insist on that because my face is a little sensitive, I've come to realize.
I now have settled on three main blades for everyday shaves: Astra Superior Platinum, Derby Extra and I recently added the Shark Super Stainless. I have enough of just those three blades to probably last me at least two years and that doesn't count the 17 or so other brands I have a tuck or two of, which I try every week. It's a fun experiment and prevents me from being bored.
An observation: Gillette, the most famous name in shaving, is still a powerful force, at least when it comes to blades, if not razors anymore. Many of the best-regarded blades still bear the Gillette name and Proctor & Gamble logo: Nacet, Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock (various models), Platinum, Rubie, Minora, Sputnik, etc., despite the fact none of them are made in America anymore. Many are manufactured in Russia, and given the current political climate due to the Russo-Ukraine conflict, P&G/Gillette is possibly moving manufacturing to other countries, including China.
I've already noticed Russian blade prices rising so I looked at some other alternative for the future and the Lord blades filled that need for me. One of the most pleasant surprises that one of my blade sample packs provided me was the Shark Super Stainless, which I find to be a terrific mild blade that nonetheless provides enough closeness to please me. Frankly, I rarely have a BBS shave. I don't have the heaviest beard in the world but it grows pretty quickly and while I don't have an obvious 5:00 shadow, I do have a noticeable stubble by evening on most days but it's of no concern. My everyday blades are all considered to be "mild", I guess, with the possible exception of the Astra SP, but they all work for me ...

In about six weeks, I'll be celebrating my 70th birthday. I honestly never thought I'd live this long and, man, the time has blown by so fast.
I'm considering buying a vintage razor from my birth year, probably from Razor Emporium. As I understand it, the Gillette code for the second quarter of 1953 would be Y2 but I don't see any for sale on their website. No problem, I can easily settle for a 1955 model or even up to about 1960 or so. Nothing outrageous. No $200 Fatboys, thanks. But maybe a '55 Flare Tip for $75.00?
Sounds about right. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
I've rambled enough tonight. More later ...

Thanks to @desertcat, who generously offered me a slightly-used puck of Tabac for a very reasonable price!
I tried my first shave with it yesterday morning and was blown away by it. I love the scent and it lathered better than any of the 4 shave soaps I've used so far in my journey. And it was slick and I insist on that because my face is a little sensitive, I've come to realize.
I now have settled on three main blades for everyday shaves: Astra Superior Platinum, Derby Extra and I recently added the Shark Super Stainless. I have enough of just those three blades to probably last me at least two years and that doesn't count the 17 or so other brands I have a tuck or two of, which I try every week. It's a fun experiment and prevents me from being bored.
An observation: Gillette, the most famous name in shaving, is still a powerful force, at least when it comes to blades, if not razors anymore. Many of the best-regarded blades still bear the Gillette name and Proctor & Gamble logo: Nacet, Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock (various models), Platinum, Rubie, Minora, Sputnik, etc., despite the fact none of them are made in America anymore. Many are manufactured in Russia, and given the current political climate due to the Russo-Ukraine conflict, P&G/Gillette is possibly moving manufacturing to other countries, including China.
I've already noticed Russian blade prices rising so I looked at some other alternative for the future and the Lord blades filled that need for me. One of the most pleasant surprises that one of my blade sample packs provided me was the Shark Super Stainless, which I find to be a terrific mild blade that nonetheless provides enough closeness to please me. Frankly, I rarely have a BBS shave. I don't have the heaviest beard in the world but it grows pretty quickly and while I don't have an obvious 5:00 shadow, I do have a noticeable stubble by evening on most days but it's of no concern. My everyday blades are all considered to be "mild", I guess, with the possible exception of the Astra SP, but they all work for me ...

In about six weeks, I'll be celebrating my 70th birthday. I honestly never thought I'd live this long and, man, the time has blown by so fast.
I'm considering buying a vintage razor from my birth year, probably from Razor Emporium. As I understand it, the Gillette code for the second quarter of 1953 would be Y2 but I don't see any for sale on their website. No problem, I can easily settle for a 1955 model or even up to about 1960 or so. Nothing outrageous. No $200 Fatboys, thanks. But maybe a '55 Flare Tip for $75.00?
Sounds about right. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
I've rambled enough tonight. More later ...

You totally should get a birth year razor! What a fantastic shave that would be on your 70th.

I suspect if you posted a want ad on the BST you would score a FlareTip for significantly less than $75 and/or a Fatboy for right around that. You'd probably end up with a few Y2 razors :)

And it looks like there are a few on ebay. A quick search popped up several Y2's, including this very expensive but fantastic Y2 President from Razor Emporium. Here's a mint Y2 superspeed for $40, that seems more reasonable.

But it might be cool to get one from one of your B&B brothers :)

You totally should get a birth year razor! What a fantastic shave that would be on your 70th.

I suspect if you posted a want ad on the BST you would score a FlareTip for significantly less than $75 and/or a Fatboy for right around that. You'd probably end up with a few Y2 razors :)

And it looks like there are a few on ebay. A quick search popped up several Y2's, including this very expensive but fantastic Y2 President from Razor Emporium. Here's a mint Y2 superspeed for $40, that seems more reasonable.

But it might be cool to get one from one of your B&B brothers :)
Sorry I didn't see this until tonight! And thanks for your thoughts ... excellent stuff.
Well, I'm not usually an eBay guy (I don't think I've ordered anything off them in over 10 years) but I did some searches this afternoon and did find a few Y2 1953/2nd quarter razors but none that blew my skirt up.
I did, however, find a 1955 Blue Tip Super Speed A3 and that's when my younger brother was born so I snapped it up. Looks nice and I can't wait to try it out. I'll probably be out of town on a Caribbean cruise when it's delivered but when I get back, it will be first on my list.
And I'll still keep looking for one from my birthday year but I'm not in a rush. My vintage razor thirst has been slaked for now.;)

proxy.php

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sorry I didn't see this until tonight! And thanks for your thoughts ... excellent stuff.
Well, I'm not usually an eBay guy (I don't think I've ordered anything off them in over 10 years) but I did some searches this afternoon and did find a few Y2 1953/2nd quarter razors but none that blew my skirt up.
I did, however, find a 1955 Blue Tip Super Speed A3 and that's when my younger brother was born so I snapped it up. Looks nice and I can't wait to try it out. I'll probably be out of town on a Caribbean cruise when it's delivered but when I get back, it will be first on my list.
And I'll still keep looking for one from my birthday year but I'm not in a rush. My vintage razor thirst has been slaked for now.;)

proxy.php
I’m a Y2 guy too. There aren’t many thrilling razors from that year. I’m happier concentrating on the modern offerings.

I do have a Y2 Super Speed @luvmysuper gave me as a consultation prize from his @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker ’s PIF. I don’t seem to feel the need for a President or another more expensive model.

I’m a Y2 guy too. There aren’t many thrilling razors from that year. I’m happier concentrating on the modern offerings.

I do have a Y2 Super Speed @luvmysuper gave me as a consultation prize from his @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker ’s PIF. I don’t seem to feel the need for a President or another more expensive model.
Yeah, in doing my research, I've realized that 1953 wasn't a stellar year for Gillette razors, although an excellent one for at least two members here. ;)
I'm with you ... I'm quite willing to concentrate on other models in the Fifties. Past 1962 or so, they don't interest me much. I just love the Fifties and early Sixties.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yeah, in doing my research, I've realized that 1953 wasn't a stellar year for Gillette razors, although an excellent one for at least two members here. ;)
I'm with you ... I'm quite willing to concentrate on other models in the Fifties. Past 1962 or so, they don't interest me much. I just love the Fifties and early Sixties.
1958 was a great year for Gillette models!

Mrs. Lockback and I returned from a 9-day Caribbean cruise late yesterday. We try to do one a year but didn't make the grade the last couple of years due to COVID, both the shutdown and my own struggles after contracting it twice.
So I assigned my Van Der Hagen TTO as my travel razor and a tuck of Derby Extras for shaving duty and both performed admirably, helped by a tube of travel-sized Cremo Classic.
In case you're wondering, yes, we had a wonderful time! Cruises have become a part of our lives the last 15 years or so. In a previous life with a previous wife who was in the travel business, I got to cruise with stops from Alaska to Istanbul, from Quebec to the Panama Canal, and when I met the current Mrs. Lockback, I wondered if she'd be interested in trying one and she loved it from the start.
While I was gone, my 1955 Gillette A3 Blue Tip was delivered. It's scheduled for tomorrow morning's shave, with a Nacet blade and Tabac shave soap. I'm greatly looking forward to it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Like everyone else who’s said similar before you now, I roll my eyes and wish you luck.

More importantly, have fun on the cruise
i actually believe that Lockback is in a better place than most of us - he hasn’t been much on eBay these last ten years. Wow! :c1: and doesn’t even feel the need for more razors. Huh?!

Then again, before B&B I think I visited eBay one or twice for some stuff - but never as much as since joining. I applaud you @Lockback.

Guido

O, and I am with @thombrogan - famous last words! Great to see you back from the cruise!

i actually believe that Lockback is in a better place than most of us - he hasn’t been much on eBay these last ten years. Wow! :c1: and doesn’t even feel the need for more razors. Huh?!

Then again, before B&B I think I visited eBay one or twice for some stuff - but never as much as since joining. I applaud you @Lockback.

Guido

O, and I am with @thombrogan - famous last words! Great to see you back from the cruise!
I have now officially gone down the rabbit hole.
I just ordered another vintage Gillette 1940's-style Super Speed, an X3 (1952) model. Not that I need another one ... but I'm drawn to them. They're just so doggone good, little masterpieces of design and manufacturing. And I want just one more before, you know, the supply dries up forever and we can never find another one. :laugh:

STOP ME BEFORE I SPEND AGAIN!

I'm so enthralled and intoxicated with vintage Gillette Super Speeds I just ordered another one, this time a 1960 Regular Flare Tip. This is getting ridiculous. 🤣😆
My wife just bought a new car.
And I buy a razor. 😂

proxy.php

Top Bottom