What's new

My journey so far and razor rankings

I have been wet shaving about 4 months now and have been experimenting with razors and blades. Here is a brief overview of my journey and a ranking of the razors I have bought and used. I understand everyones experience is different. I started out with a King C. Gillette with KCB blades that came with the razor and used it for 30 days to learn how to wet shave. Maybe because it was my first razor or because it is so easy to use or maybe it’s the KCB blade but I am a huge fan of this set up and if I had stopped here I would have been just fine. The next razor I purchased as a supposed step up was the GC .68 which I did not get along with, found it hard to find the right angle, a little harsh and just not that close a shave. (I am a two pass and touch up shaver medium coarseness and medium sensitivity) tried a bunch of blades and had some good shaves but overall not a good match for me it was inconsistent and would get a few weepers. Next up was the Muhle Rocca r94 which is an incredible razor for me and my daily driver. It is incredibly efficient, gives a very close shave and is irritation free. it is the most aggressive razor that I have but it is very safe no nicks or weepers. I then bought a Fine Marvel because I love their Italian citrus AS and Soap. Marvel razor very interesting design supper efficient and close shave and very safe with the large gap and safety guards. The only downside for me is the head is large and it is harder to get into tight places with also the handle is a bit short and can be slippery, but for the money $27 it is a great shave. After reading a lot of comparisons on this sight and wanting to give Razorock another try I bought a Mamba 70 and found it to be a much better fit for me than the GC 68. The Mamba was smoother a touch more efficient. A nice razor medium comfort, but still not as close a shave as the Rocca or the Marvel. I then decided to purchase a Feather AS D2 that came with a pack of Feather blades. I absolutely love the feather as d2 with the feather razor. It just fits me from the first shave, I found the angle easily, it is more efficient and closer shaving than I expected from what I had read about it. It is a great combination of safety, irritation free, efficient with the right blade and technique and a close shave. So ranking them:

1. Muhle Rocca 94
2. Feather AS D2
3. Fine Marvel
4. Razorock Mamba
5. King C. Gillette
6. Razorock GC .68

Last edited:
Great write up of your razors.

I haven't tried any of the razors in your collection.

Below is my ranking of my razors. I seem to like a more medium aggressive razor. I mostly use a GSB blade but I have branched out a little more with blades. I have been trying to see if I can tame the Blackland Dart with different blades before I sell it.
I think the Vokshod blade has made it a better shaver for me. I am still evaluating it.

1 Henson Medium My newsiest and current favorite

2 Gillette Canadian Tech A great shaver one of my favorites

3 Gillette Slim Again a great shaver and a classic

4 Gillette New Short Comb I have used this one the least, but I get an effortless BBS.

5 Blackland Dart New blade (Vokshod) Moving up with a bullet.

6 EJ D89 My first DE razor I used it for a year. Then I let Rad take over. It’s a good shaver but I like others better.

7 Gillette Post war tech Too Mild

8 Gillette Long Comb I don’t get along with it.

9 Gillette Prewar tech Better than the post war but the Canadian is my favorite tech.

10 RR Slock Too Mild

Great write up of your razors.

I haven't tried any of the razors in your collection.

Below is my ranking of my razors. I seem to like a more medium aggressive razor. I mostly use a GSB blade but I have branched out a little more with blades. I have been trying to see if I can tame the Blackland Dart with different blades before I sell it.
I think the Vokshod blade has made it a better shaver for me. I am still evaluating it.

1 Henson Medium My newsiest and current favorite

2 Gillette Canadian Tech A great shaver one of my favorites

3 Gillette Slim Again a great shaver and a classic

4 Gillette New Short Comb I have used this one the least, but I get an effortless BBS.

5 Blackland Dart New blade (Vokshod) Moving up with a bullet.

6 EJ D89 My first DE razor I used it for a year. Then I let Rad take over. It’s a good shaver but I like others better.

7 Gillette Post war tech Too Mild

8 Gillette Long Comb I don’t get along with it.

9 Gillette Prewar tech Better than the post war but the Canadian is my favorite tech.

10 RR Slock Too Mild
Thanks!

Thank you! I may have gotten carried away but after seeing some collections in the hundreds it made me feel better 😁
Who's carried away? Not on this board.
20220123_123306.jpg

I returned to using a safety razor after many years. I started with a Gillette Fat Boy and then a Slim. When I came back, my wife bought me an EJ DE89. I have progressed from there to Game Changers .68 and .84, a Gillette Slim, a Henson AL13 mild, Henson AL13 medium, and Henson Ti22 medium. I have also shaved with a Super Speed. Here is how I rank the shaves:

1. Henson Ti22. This razor is super comfortable and efficient. It shaves everything well and no irritation.
2. Henson AL13 medium. This razor is very comfortable and efficient, but slightly less than the Ti22. I put this down to the differences in material and weight. It shaves everything well and no irritation.
3. Henson AL13 standard. This razor is comfortable, smooth, and is pretty efficient, but less efficient than the medium, but still really good all around. it shaves everything well and no irritation.
4. Edwin Jagger DE89. Using a Feather blade it is close to the AL13 standard. With other blades, less so. Some blades do not work well in it. it shaves everything well and no irritation as long as I use a Feather blade in it.
5. Razorock Game Changer .84P. I find this razor a little more harsh than I like, though it is not bad, by any means. It is efficient, but not as good as the Henson mediums, though they all have about the same blade gap. It is very blade sensitive, so some blades give a good shave, while others are terrible.
6. Razorock Game Changer .68P. Like the .84, it is a bit harsher than I like. It is blade sensitive like the .84 and not at efficient. It is not terrible, but not my favorite.
7. Gillette Fatboy and Slim. These are harsher than I like. They are not comfortable. Maybe my face has changed over the decades? They are blade sensitive, too. I cannot get a close shave without irritation, no matter the settings. There are some places these razors will not shave well, like on my neck and under my jaw.

Nice write up and razor collection. I also have a Rocca and agree that it's a great performer. If you like the Rocca, the next time your RAD flares up, take a look at Yates, and EJ 3one6....I think you'll like them as well.

I returned to using a safety razor after many years. I started with a Gillette Fat Boy and then a Slim. When I came back, my wife bought me an EJ DE89. I have progressed from there to Game Changers .68 and .84, a Gillette Slim, a Henson AL13 mild, Henson AL13 medium, and Henson Ti22 medium. I have also shaved with a Super Speed. Here is how I rank the shaves:

1. Henson Ti22. This razor is super comfortable and efficient. It shaves everything well and no irritation.
2. Henson AL13 medium. This razor is very comfortable and efficient, but slightly less than the Ti22. I put this down to the differences in material and weight. It shaves everything well and no irritation.
3. Henson AL13 standard. This razor is comfortable, smooth, and is pretty efficient, but less efficient than the medium, but still really good all around. it shaves everything well and no irritation.
4. Edwin Jagger DE89. Using a Feather blade it is close to the AL13 standard. With other blades, less so. Some blades do not work well in it. it shaves everything well and no irritation as long as I use a Feather blade in it.
5. Razorock Game Changer .84P. I find this razor a little more harsh than I like, though it is not bad, by any means. It is efficient, but not as good as the Henson mediums, though they all have about the same blade gap. It is very blade sensitive, so some blades give a good shave, while others are terrible.
6. Razorock Game Changer .68P. Like the .84, it is a bit harsher than I like. It is blade sensitive like the .84 and not at efficient. It is not terrible, but not my favorite.
7. Gillette Fatboy and Slim. These are harsher than I like. They are not comfortable. Maybe my face has changed over the decades? They are blade sensitive, too. I cannot get a close shave without irritation, no matter the settings. There are some places these razors will not shave well, like on my neck and under my jaw.
Nice write up! Over the last three months been shaving almost exclusively with the Henson AL13 mild and Feather As-D2. Prior to that I used a Gillette Fatboy for almost five months. The Henson are a the only DE razor that allows me to shave with he same confidence as a cartridge razor. Now that a few months away f additional experience had been accrued,I’m going to shave with the Fatboy on Monday and see how it compares to the Henson and Feather.

I am glad to hear someone else thinks the game changers can be a bit harsh. I bought the GC 68 based on everyone’s reviews on how mild, smooth and irritation free it is. the hype on these razors is off the charts. I was wondering if mine was defective. I have tried different angles and less pressure etc and have gotten good shaves from it, but I don’t love it.

I am glad to hear someone else thinks the game changers can be a bit harsh. I bought the GC 68 based on everyone’s reviews on how mild, smooth and irritation free it is. the hype on these razors is off the charts. I was wondering if mine was defective. I have tried different angles and less pressure etc and have gotten good shaves from it, but I don’t love it.
I found a mild blade like a Voshkod works wonders in the GC. However, they are still much harsher than a DE89 and especially a Henson. The Henson glides like snot over a brass doorknob and I come away happy. The GC always irritates me.

What version of the Henson Ti22 do you have? Medium?

Top Bottom