What's new

My Journey Resumes

Dear friends,

I am very happy to report a change in my circumstances. Five years ago this October I was in a wonderful career as a special education administrator in a public school district. One morning on my way to one of my schools I was broadsided by a truck & fractured two of my upper vertebrae. I've dealt with 9 neurosurgeons & numerous pain management doctors along the way. Numerous surgeries & implants as well. But after five years of rehab & too many medications, my almost constant intense pain has subsided enough that I can now work again. I was just a few years from retiring before the wreck, so I didn't go out on my terms! I can't go back into education, but that's OK. I am now a part-time employee in the Visitors Center at the Harry Truman Presidential Library & Museum. I am incredibly thankful to be able to return even to a part-time position. The interaction with the public is a blast! And I'm a huge history buff, particularly 20th Century history, so this is right up my alley! I've been blessed immensely to have regained my health & to allow me this second chance.

I am writing to all of you here on B & B because you have been a support group as well as a family to me. Thank you to all of you. Your banter, conversations, & friendship have meant so much to me.

If any of you are going through a dark time that seems like it will never end. Take heart, it can. My life in the darkness lasted almost 5 years. And though it seems an eternity, there can be light again.

Don't read too much into this. This isn't a goodbye post. Oh no, you're not getting rid of me that easy! I'm still going to be posting & prodding on this marvelous site. This is merely a heartfelt thank you to all of you. Thank you!

Dear friends,

I am very happy to report a change in my circumstances. Five years ago this October I was in a wonderful career as a special education administrator in a public school district. One morning on my way to one of my schools I was broadsided by a truck & fractured two of my upper vertebrae. I've dealt with 9 neurosurgeons & numerous pain management doctors along the way. Numerous surgeries & implants as well. But after five years of rehab & too many medications, my almost constant intense pain has subsided enough that I can now work again. I was just a few years from retiring before the wreck, so I didn't go out on my terms! I can't go back into education, but that's OK. I am now a part-time employee in the Visitors Center at the Harry Truman Presidential Library & Museum. I am incredibly thankful to be able to return even to a part-time position. The interaction with the public is a blast! And I'm a huge history buff, particularly 20th Century history, so this is right up my alley! I've been blessed immensely to have regained my health & to allow me this second chance.

I am writing to all of you here on B & B because you have been a support group as well as a family to me. Thank you to all of you. Your banter, conversations, & friendship have meant so much to me.

If any of you are going through a dark time that seems like it will never end. Take heart, it can. My life in the darkness lasted almost 5 years. And though it seems an eternity, there can be light again.

Don't read too much into this. This isn't a goodbye post. Oh no, you're not getting rid of me that easy! I'm still going to be posting & prodding on this marvelous site. This is merely a heartfelt thank you to all of you. Thank you!
I love you David, you have been a friend to me from day one on this site. I am ecstatic that you are well enough to work , and that the job really fits you.

Your friend always

Doug

What a journey, with an exciting outlook ahead. All the best in the new opportunity!

Best splurge on some shaving items, getting a new job and all. Gotta shave for work 😉

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
What wonderful news and a great post! This forum is blessed to have you as a member. Truly happy for you. Peace be to you. And of course...Happy Shaves!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Way to go, David. We appreciate the good news announcement! Great to hear you're back working.

Fantastic news! And thank you for continuing to contribute here, despite the adversity you faced. That speaks volumes to your character and your generosity. Great to hear things have come right for you. :)

Best wishes in your future endeavors! Glad you have an opportunity to be involved and make peoples days a bit better.

Thanks for sharing you story! It is inspiring & encouraging. I would guess that most of us here had no idea what you were going through. Congratulations on sticking it out 'till you made it through that long tunnel. It is also great to hear that you found a new position that seems to suit you so well. Perhaps the best is yet to come. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posting & prodding on this marvelous site. :)

Dear friends,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, David. This is such a wonderful story.

Top Bottom