What's new

My Journey into the Leaf

My reviews have dropped off as internet time reduced, but I'm still working through everything I've sampled thus far. I just finished a bowl of Luxury Bullseye Flake in my meer, and it was as incredible as always.
I recently bought and tried some Luxury Twist Flake. Very mild and pleasant. Have you tried that?

I've really enjoyed all of Stokkebye's flakes. They were all great in their ways. So much so that every tobacco order I get at least 4oz of one of their flakes/ coins for the cellar.

Leaf: Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Bob's Chocolate Flake
Pipe: Bent Missouri Meerschaum
Notes:

I finally got around to revisiting this leaf. I took @Whisky 's advice and let it dry quite a bit (I actually waited until it was breaking apart as I rubbed it out). I was rewarded with a smooth, faintly sweet, occasionally chocolatey smoke. I'm looking forward to my next run-in with it.

Leaf: Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake
Pipe: SMS Meerschaum
Notes:

I returned to this one and expected to have a great time. I wish I had looked at my original write-up to remember what it was like and how I prepped it.

I had three days of smoking this, rubbing out the flakes and trying different levels of moisture. It felt like a slog. Each bowl had good elements - there was some sweetness and smoothness - but overall, I was disappointed.

It smoked hot, and left me with a lot of cigarette smells. No tongue bite or anything, just seemed to either be hot or out.

The main differences from the last time I had it would be that I rubbed the flake out instead of wadding it up, and I was using a different pipe. I'm kind of shocked the taste was that different! It is a good lesson to try different prep methods when a smoke isn't going well.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have discovered, sometimes to my disappointment, that a particular tobacco can taste VERY different with different pipes. Bowl size, both width and depth I'm sure have a lot to do with it.
Almost from the start, I began to write down what pipe I had used when I tried a product.
I have gone back and tried tobaccos I didn't like in pipes where I liked the tobacco, and found that a particular pipe can indeed make a difference.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
As soon as you mentioned FVF I winced. That tobacco is excellent but I honestly didn't find that out until I was over a year in to smoking pipes. It is very unforgiving of a learner's cadence. It bites easily and without the right prep it just won't cooperate at all. Those are things that come with time. The codgers are much better blends to learn with in my opinion. They tend to burn cooler and require less finagling with to get a good smoke from. Just fill, light and smoke.

That's just my thoughts. I'd suggest jarring and waiting a bit on the FVF. It is a great smoke but requires a bit more experience to figure out.

As soon as you mentioned FVF I winced. That tobacco is excellent but I honestly didn't find that out until I was over a year in to smoking pipes. It is very unforgiving of a learner's cadence. It bites easily and without the right prep it just won't cooperate at all. Those are things that come with time. The codgers are much better blends to learn with in my opinion. They tend to burn cooler and require less finagling with to get a good smoke from. Just fill, light and smoke.

That's just my thoughts. I'd suggest jarring and waiting a bit on the FVF. It is a great smoke but requires a bit more experience to figure out.
It is weird that I did more prep work on it this time than I did last time, and it was a markedly better experience last time.

It was never bitey, so that is good... just never turned into the greatness of my original experience with it. I'm already done with my sample, so will move on to other things. But... I can't see myself going back to FVF when Luxury Bullseye gave me a consistently better experience with similar flavors. Maybe someday.

After finishing off the FVF, I took @brandaves advice and went back to simpler smokes.

I've been having some Amphora Black Cavendish and Squadron Leader, and I've really enjoyed them both.

My original review of Amphora Black Cavendish left me unsatisfied and not eager to return, but the last few days have been pleasant. It is a mild smoke, stays lit easily, and smells great.

Squadron Leader with a cup of coffee is hard to beat.

Top Bottom