What's new

My Journey into Straight Razors

Shave #41:

Feather clone, Porasso Green, Synthetic Brush, Alum block, followed by Nivea Post Shave Balm

proxy.php

My Porasso Green came in... I'm a fan! The cold water shave combined with the menthol led to a super refreshing shave. I put a small amount on my brush and face lathered. I had enough for a three pass shave.

I was picking up some groceries and decided to walk through the shave aisle... and I've seen the Nivea posted by multiple people on here, so threw that in the cart on a whim. It has a nice scent and made my face feel nice after the alum block pass. I don't have sensitive skin or anything, it was just a nice treat post-shave. I don't know if I'll buy more when it is all gone.

I did my usual WTG, XTG/ATG, finishing with an ATG pass. My razor skipped along my neck again... and then I realized I've used the same no-name blade for 14 shaves. Time for a new blade! I'm thinking it is time to bust out the Feather Pro-guards for my next shave.

I've set myself a goal to hone one of my straights this week. Here's hoping I bring myself to do it!

I honed up my Torrey and Grim Dollar yesterday. I was really hoping to finish with enough time to shave with the Torrey so I could make it into Torrey Tuesday... but that didn't happen. I'll give it a try tonight and see how I did!

I had to remove two fairly large chips from the blade, so it took a lot longer than I expected. It is also a slightly smiling blade, so not a great first hone attempt... but I did it, and I'm eager to see if it worked! I used lapping film and took it to 0.3 with paper underneath (no balsa/diamond paste). It might end up being too harsh. But I've got to start somewhere.

Shave #42:

proxy.php

Razor: Torrey e-bay special
Brush: Blades Grim Satin Tip | The Purest
Soap: Poraso Green
Aftershave: Alum block followed by Nivea Post Shave Balm

I shaved with the first razor I've ever repaired and honed... and it went okay. I set the bevel using the burr method after getting out the chips in the edge, then proceeded to use lapping film down to 0.3 with paper underneath as the finisher.

I did a three pass shave like usual... but I felt like it wasn't cutting the way I'm accustomed to with the Feather. I had to go over spots more than once in order to remove the hair. Ultimately I ended up with a BBS face, but it wasn't smooth getting there. In fact, my face was more irritated than it has been since I first started shaving. I think I need to go back to the bevel setting process and start over. The edge is usable... just not where I'd like it.

I do view the overall process as a success. I took a beat up razor, got it shave worthy, had a shave, and the shave produced good results (if irritating results).

I empathize with Proslogion, I also repaired my first razor from chipped to shave ready. I’m happy to report success as well. It gave a pretty good shave but I want to work it a touch more. Nothing like the feeling you get from bringing back to life a piece of history. It was my wife’s uncles, and she was happy I could use it (me to).

I empathize with Proslogion, I also repaired my first razor from chipped to shave ready. I’m happy to report success as well. It gave a pretty good shave but I want to work it a touch more. Nothing like the feeling you get from bringing back to life a piece of history. It was my wife’s uncles, and she was happy I could use it (me to).

That's awesome! I'm glad you found success. Mine _works_ but I think I'm a bit spoiled from the phenomenal edge that comes from the Feather. I've got a lot of honing practice ahead of me to reach something that comfortable.

Shave #43:

Razor: Torrey e-bay special // Feather Clone

I did my first WTG pass with the Torrey, just to see if stropping it a bit would make the blade take off... I need to go back to the bevel set and restart, I think. It cut hair, but it wasn't unnoticeable. For my second pass I did a XTG/ATG hybrid with the Feather and a new blade. No comparison.

783CC7D9-ADAC-43D1-A759-5B3B89762353.jpeg
I have 2 so far going back to “go”, 1 may not make it (a “yap” it’s pretty wore out), but I’ll try one more time. The other is a new BB Titan, cheep, new, shaves but just not good enough yet.

View attachment 1004895 I have 2 so far going back to “go”, 1 may not make it (a “yap” it’s pretty wore out), but I’ll try one more time. The other is a new BB Titan, cheep, new, shaves but just not good enough yet.

Those look nice. I haven't heard of a Titan before. One thing this has taught me is just how much work it is to remove nicks in the edge... and which blades have restoration potential vs which ones do not.

Shave #44:

Razor: Feather Clone
Brush: Omega 11047

WTG followed by XTG/ATG hybrid pass. My face is smooooooth! I forgot just how good a new blade in this Feather can be. You'd think I didn't shave at all with the alum block response.

First time using the Omega 11047 with the Poraso - it performed incredibly, as expected.

Shave #45:

Soap: Blades Grim Smolder

I did a single WTG pass for this shave. I think my initial shaves with the Torrey left my skin irritated, as I've noticed my skin much more dry than usual... So, I did a single pass and I'm going to see if my skin will fully recover before going back to my two-three pass shaves.

I will say, the Smolder soap feels great. Had a great shave.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Shave #45:

Soap: Blades Grim Smolder

I did a single WTG pass for this shave. I think my initial shaves with the Torrey left my skin irritated, as I've noticed my skin much more dry than usual... So, I did a single pass and I'm going to see if my skin will fully recover before going back to my two-three pass shaves.

I will say, the Smolder soap feels great. Had a great shave.
Don’t worry. Your honing will keep improving and it is a good idea to use a Feather to learn to shave with. It also gives a good honing target to eventually get close to.

Don’t worry. Your honing will keep improving and it is a good idea to use a Feather to learn to shave with. It also gives a good honing target to eventually get close to.

Thanks Steve.

I also honed my Grim Dollar razor and will shave with that next. I know that razor used to be shave ready, so I should be able to return it there (instead of repairs + honing). The Feather has definitely given me a target to strive towards.

Shave #46:

WTG followed by XTG/ATG combo. Removed my "taking a break" beard without shrugging. Keeping up with the cold water (or, as cold as the water gets in this heat) shaves.

Shave #47:

WTG followed by XTG/ATG combo. Great shave today! Refreshing way to start the day.

So... I fell off the face of the forum for a bit (I was lazy, forgot my password, and didn't bother resetting... awful excuse, I know).

I also lost track of which shave I'm on, but it has got to be up there.

I've fallen into the rhythm of the shaves described above. I'm completely out of my Blades Grim Smolder, so I'm working my way through the Poraso Green. I was gifted some of the Blades Grim Smolder Aftershave and I've been enjoying that.

I've also moved away from the synthetic brush and find myself gravitating to the Omega 11047 almost exclusively. I really need to expand my brush library to see what else I like!

I've found a few flea market blades that I'm going to work at restoring... hopefully I'll get back into the groove of posting updates!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hey everyone, I've been lurking in this subforum for a while and finally took the plunge and purchased a straight razor. (Link to my intro thread)

I just finished shave number 2 last night. Overall, it came out okay.

For my first shave, I tried to keep my razor at a 30 degree angle and use ZERO pressure, only the weight of the blade. I took lots of small passes, and it felt like the blade skipped around a lot. I only went with the grain, and ended the shave with what looked and felt smooth (as long as I rubbed my face with the grain). I had a lot of trouble with my chin area, and ultimately gave up, cleaning it up with a cartridge razor I had nearby. No nicks, no burn from the alum block, and overall pretty pleased that I didn't walk away looking like horror film. I didn't like the bouncing around, and the shave wasn't comfortable... but I have never liked shaving, so I just chalked it up to that. If you didn't read my intro, this was my first time wet shaving at all, so I'm sure I could have lathered my soap incorrectly or applied it wrong or any number of things.

After the shave, I stropped my razor 25 times on the fabric side, then 50 on the leather side. I repeated the process right before my second shave.

I gave myself two days growth and went for the second shave.

For the second shave, I kept the angle much shallower, maybe 10-15 degrees instead of 30, and I used slightly more pressure than just the blade weight (thanks to @smokey0325 for his thread on pressure). The shave felt MUCH better. Instead of stuttering all over my face, I felt practically no resistance, just the sound of cutting hair. I was able to take longer strokes more comfortably, and I probably finished my shave in less than half the time of the first one. I was already more comfortable doing my cheeks, neck, and nose/lip area. I tackled my chin with more confidence than my first shave, and actually managed to do a pass on all of it, but not well. I ended up with a nick in the middle of my chin - it didn't weep or anything, just some blood rose to the surface. I cleaned it up with the cartridge again, since I looked a little bit like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Rubbing my face with the alum block produced a slight tingle on my chin, but no burning sensations.

The biggest takeaway from this second shave is that it actually feels good to shave with a straight razor. I'm sure it feels good shaving with a safety razor, but my previous experience was only with cartridge razors. I typically just buzz down my beard once a week with an electric trimmer. Shaving with a cartridge, even daily, felt like I was trying to rip sandpaper from my face. My beard is coarse and thick and grows fast.

With the straight razor on that second shave, I took down two days growth and I couldn't even feel the hairs leaving. I'm actually looking forward to my next shave and getting more comfortable with the razor and lather.

For gear, I purchased a shave ready kit from StraightRazors.com - it included a "Grim Dollar" instead of a Gold Dollar. After looking through the forums post-purchase, I kind of wish I had researched more and purchased a vintage razor from someone that was ready to go... but, for the price, it was nice to just get the things I need and give it a shot.

I will do my best to update this as I make milestones. I really enjoyed reading through @GearNoir 's thread on his journey into straight shaving.

You are one of The Called. You have now felt the Power. K'plagh!!!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
So... I fell off the face of the forum for a bit (I was lazy, forgot my password, and didn't bother resetting... awful excuse, I know).

I also lost track of which shave I'm on, but it has got to be up there.

I've fallen into the rhythm of the shaves described above. I'm completely out of my Blades Grim Smolder, so I'm working my way through the Poraso Green. I was gifted some of the Blades Grim Smolder Aftershave and I've been enjoying that.

I've also moved away from the synthetic brush and find myself gravitating to the Omega 11047 almost exclusively. I really need to expand my brush library to see what else I like!

I've found a few flea market blades that I'm going to work at restoring... hopefully I'll get back into the groove of posting updates!
Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated!

Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated!

It is true! Now, if I can just get my head wrapped around honing... My first attempt didn't go great, but I'm setup with my lapping films and ready to give it another go.

I need to put together the balsa strops as well for my next attempt.

It is true! Now, if I can just get my head wrapped around honing... My first attempt didn't go great, but I'm setup with my lapping films and ready to give it another go.

I need to put together the balsa strops as well for my next attempt.

Me too. I need to order quality lapping film, diamond paste, balsa, and a marble threshold.

Top Bottom