What's new

My Journey into Straight Razors

Agreed. Why did I wait so long? is a question I have asked far too many times. Now any time I think about doing something new or different or hard, I ask a different question: Why not? It's the question I'm trying to teach my kids to ask automatically as they grow up.

Shave #26:

Feather and Omega again. WTG followed by an ATG. It was a bit tough to do... likely won't do that gain... but zero irritation and it went quickly (which is what I needed). Trying to keep the habit up!

Shave #27:

Feather and Omega (and Smolder soap). WTG followed by XTG/ATG combo. No irritation, smooth skin, no complaints!

I went ahead and swapped in a new blade after dropping the last one. Really enjoying this setup.

It's been really interesting to read about your progress, given that I am a newbie to straights myself.

What's the status of your straights at the moment? Have you put them aside in favour of your Feather clone due to the ease and comfort of the shaves?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

It's been really interesting to read about your progress, given that I am a newbie to straights myself.

What's the status of your straights at the moment? Have you put them aside in favour of your Feather clone due to the ease and comfort of the shaves?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

It is kind of a combination of a few things.

I've been crazy busy lately and haven't had much time for shaving. Maintaining a straight isn't tough or too time consuming... but when I am tired and just want to sit down, I found myself not feeling like stropping and getting everything prepped for my shave.

After about 20 shaves with my only honed straight, I noticed a decline in the shave quality on my against the grain passes. It isn't bad enough that I can't shave with it, but it does make me want to take the time to touch up the edge.

Touching up the edge takes time (I bought everything to hone blades, and bought several blades to restore), but, given my time constraints, my heart just hasn't been in it.

Combine all of that with a shiny new toy showing up that removes all of the maintenance while giving a perfect edge on demand... and it is just easy for me to use my Feather!

Once things slow down, I fully intend to hone up all of the straights I have accumulated and get back to using them. It is really nice knowing that I have the Feather in case I mess up an edge, don't feel like maintaining a blade, or want to bring something along for when I travel.

Shave #28:

Took the Feather and Omega on the road! First shave on a trip. WTG followed by XTG/ATG - worked out like always.

Shave #29:

Feather and Omega, WTG followed by XTG/ATG. I'm starting to sound like a broken record... but, if it works, it works!

Shave #30:

More of the same. I need to get out my honing supplies and get my other razors restored so I can post some more exciting updates.

Shave #31:

Same stuff.

I did notice I have more trouble getting a good shave on my mustache area with the Feather. I'm going to need to play with some new angles.

Shave #32:

I was able to try out pre-shave and after-shave this weekend. I didn't really notice any benefits from the pre-shave... but the after-shave left my face feeling great!

Other than that, it was more of the same... And I haven't honed up my other blades yet...

Shave #33:

WTG followed up by XTG/ATG. Cruising along.

I'm starting to run low on my Smolder soap, so I will order something new in a week or so... I'm thinking Mitchell's Wool Fat will be my next one.

Shave #34:

WTG follow by XTG/ATG.

I got a little close on my neck while ATG and felt a little tugging while doing so. It might be time for a new blade... I'm thinking the blades that came with it weren't great. I have new Feather blades waiting to be opened - it might be that time.

Shave #35:

WTG follow by XTG/ATG.

Kept the same blade, got a great shave. I will say, with the weather getting hotter, my desire to stand around with hot water on my face to lather is quickly fading. I might need to give the cold water shave a try.

Shave #36:

I used the Feather, synthetic brush, and Smolder soap. WTG followed by XTG/ATG, with an additional touch up pass ATG. I went with the cold water shave... and I'm a fan! It felt great and the shave I got was really close and comfortable. I struggled a bit ATG on my neck, but changed holds and found a comfortable way to go about it.

I've done my last warm water shave for the summer. I'm going with cold water until the weather cools off.

@GearNoir - for half of my shave I did the warm water on the blade, then swapped to cold water. I found I enjoyed the cold water rinse more, personally. But I think the warm blade gave me the initial confidence to shave with a cold face, so your tip was not wasted! Thanks!

I've dropped off on the log (and also had a brief hiatus in shaving), but I believe I'm right around 40 now.

#37:
#38:
#39: Feather, Omega Brush, Smolder Soap. Three pass shaves. All cold water.

#40: I had a three week beard for this shave... and it cleanly shaved in one pass with my Feather, synthetic brush, and Smolder Soap. I finished it up with another two passes - one XTG and one ATG. I got a little close under my chin on the ATG pass and the alum block lit me up, but I was expecting a little of that after not shaving for so long. Cold water shaving - I'm a convert!

My Smolder has maybe a shave or two left in it. I'm going to order some Porasso (cold water + menthol sounds incredible in this 100 degree weather), and I'd like to try the Mitchell's Wool Fat as well. I'll try to be better about maintaining this moving forward!

Top Bottom