What's new

My Journey Into Black Arkansas

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have now given the black tailed T.H.60 another 100 laps on the black Ark with water. This was followed by 50 laps with lather. There may be a slight improvement in the bevel's near mirror finish but my aging eyes may be deceiving me.

Tomorrow may tell if there is an improvement in the edge keenness, hopefully without loosing any comfort.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Which side are you using, out of curiosity? It occurs to me that you might also try taking a coticule finished edge to the ark to see what that does.
Sorry, I forgot to mention it. All honing on the black Ark is currently using the 1.2k W&D conditioned surface. Later I will try the 600 W&D conditioned surface.

As for starting with a coticule edge, I intend to do that. First I want to max out my current edge on the 1.2k surface. Then I will see what the 600 surface is like. After that I might try the coticule edge to the black Ark.

I find it best if I am methodical in my learning.

I have a Dan's black ark. I also have one of the cheap "one side finishes" from bestsharpening. I can get a helluva edge from both on some razors. I use oil no water or lather here. Your lap count is inline of where I discovered I start to get shave ready performance. I always finish with a minimum of 300 laps. Some really hard steels need a good number more. Arks are SLOW.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am judging my shaving experiences with this black Ark based on edge keenness and shaving comfort. Perhaps I should explain what I mean by these two terms.

Edge keenness is judged on how easily the edge cuts through my whiskers. The ultimate test for me on edge keenness is when I perform the coups de maître (a.k.a. fool's pass). This is were I can really notice any difference.

For shave comfort, I judge this on how easily the blade glides over my skin while shaving (in all directions). This can also be very much influenced by pre-shave preparation and shaving soap so I try my best to keep these constant with each shave.

Second shave with the black Arkansas edge.

After yesterday morning's shave the blade got 6 to 10 laps on a clean denim strop to clean the bevel/edge up. This was followed by about 100 laps on the black Ark (1.2k W&D side) with water and another 50 laps on same with lather. The edge was then tree-topping with gay abandon.

First Pass (WTG) - the same as yesterday with no loss of (or improvement in) comfort.

Second Pass (XTG+CdM) - again about the same as yesterday, except the edge was noticeably keener in the CdM, not quite up to a diamond pasted balsa edge but very close. No change in comfort.

Third Pass (XTG opposite direction) - same as the second, picking up a few stray whiskers missed in the previous pass. No noticeable change in comfort.

After this shave, I find the edge noticeably keener than yesterday with no loss of comfort. Now for another 100 water laps and 50 lather laps on the black Ark for this SR and see what it is like with tomorrow morning's shave.

You might want to consider using oil instead of lather. I have used both soapy water and baby oil on my arks, and for whatever reason, I get slightly better results with the oil. The oil cleans up easily with detergent and water when I am finished.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You might want to consider using oil instead of lather. I have used both soapy water and baby oil on my arks, and for whatever reason, I get slightly better results with the oil. The oil cleans up easily with detergent and water when I am finished.
Thank you. I bought some baby oil (without additives) to use on this stone. The reason I have not yet used it is because I was told that water allows for better feedback.

As this black Ark journey proceeds, I will give the oil a go in place of the lather.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Third shave with the black Arkansas edge.

After Tuesday morning's shave, just like after the previous day's shave, the blade got 6 to 10 laps on a clean denim strop to clean the bevel/edge up. This was followed by about 100 laps on the black Ark (1.2k W&D side) with water and another 50 laps on same with lather.

First Pass (WTG) - no change.

Second Pass (XTG+CdM) - no change, although possibly just a little keener in the CdM. Hard to tell.

Third Pass (XTG opposite direction) - no change.

After this shave, I found really no difference from the previous day's shave. Still, I will give the blade another 100 water laps and 50 lather laps on the black Ark for this SR and see what it is like with Friday morning's shave.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Fourth shave with the black Arkansas edge.

After Thursday morning's shave, just like after the previous day's shave, the blade got 6 to 10 laps on a clean denim strop to clean the bevel/edge up. This was followed by about 100 laps on the black Ark (1.2k W&D side) with water and another 50 laps on same with lather.

For all three passes (WTG, XTG+CdM and XTG opposite direction) there was no change from the previous shave with this SR. Looks like I have maxed it out using my current arrangement.

Sunday will see me doing a direct comparison between these two identical Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 SRs, one off diamond pasted balsa and the other off the black Ark. (Tomorrow I will be shaving with my Cadman "Bengall" 6/8 shorty with French point finished on the black Ark.)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Sorry for the late report. After comparing the two identical Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 SRs, one off diamond pasted balsa and the other off the black Ark, my conclusion is that the pasted balsa is the keener edge while the black ark edge more comfortable but not quite as keen. This keenness was noticeable when performing the CdM.

For me, the ideal setup for shaving with Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 SRs would be balsa edge when performing the CdM and the black Ark edge for all other areas of the shave.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I feel baby oil is kind of thick for Ark finishing. Try a more watery oil. WD40 is a nice consistency. Something that thin allows better stone contact. Glad it's working out for you!
I am very methodical in my approach to learning. First I am working with only water and lather on my black Ark. Once I am satisfied that I have learnt enough with that, then I will try oil(s).

The trouble is that I only have about 5,000 to 10,000 more shave left to try and become proficient in my SR journey. I should have started SR shaving in my teens.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A while ago I decided to see if I could max out the edge on one of the hardest steel SRs in my stable. For this, I chose a Titan ACRM T.H-70 SR. I would not be concerned with shave comfort, just edge keenness.

To start this off, the blade's edge got 100 laps on the 600 grit dressed side of the hard black Arkansas (HBA) with water only followed by 200 laps on the 1.2k dressed other side with water only. I finished this initial setup with another about 300 laps on the 1.2k side with lather. By then, their was slight stiction being felt along the whole length of the edge with no pressure.

All shaves with this SR where then performed with Palmolive Regular cream (Italy) face lathered using a Chinese guaranteed pure best badger synthetic hair brush.

IMG_20230209_091403.jpg

The first shave using this setup gave me a reference from which to judge the succeeding daily shaves.

Over the next week or so, the following routine was performed:
  • Pre-shave stropping on clean leather.​
  • Shave.​
  • Rinse blade, wipe dry and about 10 laps on clean denim to clean/dry the bevel.​
  • Hone on HBA (1.2k side) water only.​
  • Hone on HBA (1.2k side) with lather.​
After the first shave, the blade was given 100 laps with water followed by about 200 laps with lather. A slight improvement in edge keenness was noticed. This was repeated for the next few days, sometimes noticing edge improvement, other times none.

I then halved the laps for a few more days, noticing edge improvement with most shaves. Eventually I was repeatedly feeling no further edge improvement. I believed that I had maxed this blade/ whetstone combination out.

The edge was still not as keen as one off my pasted balsa strops but it was very close.

After yesterday's shave I performed no honing on this SR and shaved with it again this morning. Surprisingly the blade shaved better than yesterday, maybe even as good as one with a pasted balsa edge. It was also noticeably more comfortable to shave with.

I will try it again tomorrow, still with no honing.

What I have learnt with this exercise so far is that less honing can be better. I also learnt that my HBA can be a rather sticky stone, even with lather and the lightest of pressure (none).

I find this all very interesting. One day I might try this on a soft-steel SR like my matching two-day set of pre-1924 Cadman "Bengall" SRs.

Natural whetstones are fun to play with.

Attachments

• IMG_20230209_091403.jpg
    IMG_20230209_091403.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 4
After yesterday's shave I performed no honing on this SR and shaved with it again this morning. Surprisingly the blade shaved better than yesterday, maybe even as good as one with a pasted balsa edge. It was also noticeably more comfortable to shave with.

I have heard other people say this about DE and straight blades, and I too have experienced this phenomenon. The other benefit of using the same razor for consecutive days is that you get dialed into the weight, balance and feel of the blade.

I am waiting for you try your black Ark with oil :-;.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have heard other people say this about DE and straight blades, and I too have experienced this phenomenon. The other benefit of using the same razor for consecutive days is that you get dialed into the weight, balance and feel of the blade.

I am waiting for you try your black Ark with oil :-;.
Yes, that is why I dedicated many days of shaving just with one SR and using one whetstone. As for using oil, I am looking to do that with a soluble oil. First I have to source some that comes in a less than 5 litre container.

Top Bottom