What's new

My Jinhao 159 just arrived!

About 15 days ago, for the princely sum of $3.74 I ordered a Jinhao 159 from Amazon.

proxy.php

And for another $3.54 I ordered 25 Jinhao Blue Ink cartridges.

Please keep in mind that I am still brand new to the world of the Nib and my only experience up till now with fountain pens is my Pilot Metropolitan so please add a healthy amount of salt to my opinion.

The pen arrived in the same packet as the ink cartridges. No box just a cheap plastic sleeve but it still arrived in perfect condition.

As you know, it is a rather "Beefy" pen about twice the size of my Pilot.

That being said, it feels really good in my ham sized hands and sausage fingers. The construction is first rate in my book. The cap smoothly screws on over the nib and fits onto the end of the barrel just fine and is not likely to fall off.

The nib also screws into the barrel very smoothly as well.

The pen came with the standard Jinhao converter which was in the barrel but not attached to the nib.

Anyway, before going further, I gently took a Q-Tip and cleaned the nib with a bit of alcohol then wiped down with water before filling to remove any residue from the manufacturing process.

To start with, I first tried one of the ink cartridges. It snapped firmly into place but it took FOREVER for the ink to start flowing.

And when it did, it was more like a diluted watercolor than actual ink.

I quickly scrapped that idea, removed the cartridge, chucked it in the trash and connected the converter which I then filled with Noodler's Baystate Blue.

After cleaning the nib and the bottom of the pen, I put pen to paper for the first time and the ink started flowing immediately!

Like my Pilot Metro, the 159 is advertized as having a Medium nib.

However, the Jinhao produces a "Thicker" line than the Pilot does. Not an issue as far as I am concerned.

A rather handsome looking pen in my book and I really do like it!

As to the ink, I opened a ticket with Amazon.com, gave them my honest opinion..."Horrible, Do Not Purchase" and my payment was almost immediately refunded.

If you have $4 burning a hole in your wallet, you could do a lot worse than ordering the Jinhao 159!

Delighted that it all went to plan, I am always amazed that a well made pen can be bought for so little money. As you suggest, for those that havent tried a fountain pen it is not a lot of investment to see if it is for you.

....and now to pratice for that very important letter.

Delighted that it all went to plan, I am always amazed that a well made pen can be bought for so little money. As you suggest, for those that havent tried a fountain pen it is not a lot of investment to see if it is for you.

....and now to pratice for that very important letter.

And believe you me, I have been practicing for it! My handwriting has improved A LOT! Tomorrow I go shopping for some good quality paper.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Great to hear that your pen arrived!

Most Japanese nibs are thinner than their western competitors. Jinhao pens are designed with western elements. That's why your Jinhao's medium is thicker than your Pilot's medium.

Do you have any specific qualities (other than fountain pen friendly) in mind for the paper that you want to use?

Its a great feeling when you get a great pen for a small price. I bought 4 Hero 616's on the bay for $4.00 shipped...they all worked pretty good right out of the sleeve.

Congrats on a great pen!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Glad you like your new pen, congrats.

But please don't be too quick to condemn the ink in the carts, it often can be hard to prime the feed with the best of inks -- especially in a brand new pen.

Tips for starting flow: you can be very patient, use gentle squeezing, gravity, or centifugal force. Sometimes all of the above!

Your choice of ink is just fine for your pen but if you ever move on to something more expensive in the pen line I would treat yourself to another ink. Some people report staining problems with Baystate Blue.

Enjoy your new 159.

I had one once upon a time. A gift from a pen pal who I bought a Pelikan M205 and Pelikan 120 Merz & Krell from. My experience with the pen was less than positive. Had multiple attempts with multiple inks and it was a hard starter with most.

It made me realize it was to big and heavy for me. But there are a lot of people that have positive experiences with the 159. (I prefer a pen that maxes out at about 30 grams and under 20 grams is even better. The 159 is 50 grams plus.) But like many things here on B & B - Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)

Top Bottom