What's new

MY Intro: Wet Shaving Veteran but DE Safety Razor Newbie Needs Advice on Razor

So guys I am from Northern Virginia, 42 years young and father of two. In addition to shaving some of my other interests are working out with kettlebells and sandbags, bicycling, pipe smoking, Scotch and Bourbon whiskies (heck all whiskies), German literature, history and war movies.

My History and Current Wet Shaving Routine: I have been wet shaving (in the shower with a mirror) for about 15 years now, roughly when I started white collar employment and needed to look presentable at work. Initially my technique and approaches varied but I have been consistent over the past several years. I now have four different brushes (two inexpensive boar bristles, one pricey badger, and one which I think has some of both). I’ll use one a month and then switch to another.

I have tried a number of different shaving soaps, sticks, and creams
I am also a full fledged member of the Cult of Arko having discovered their sticks at some Middle Eastern markets by me which sadly no longer carry them. One of the reasons I stumbled upon B&B was from searching for Arko. Alas I do have a tube of their Commando style shave cream but need to order some sticks from somebody. I even make my own after shave (3 parts of Thayer Witch Hazel and 1 part of Dominica Bay Rum).

I have my routine down, pre shave face scrub in the shower with St. Ives Apricot Scrub, then shower as normal and rinse out the face scrub then lather up with one of my brushes. I’ve usually done two passes with a Fusion or Quattro. I can usually get a BBS shave this way with very minimal cutting or irritation.

My Predicament and How to Increase Weekly Shave Numbers: However, for the most part I only shave once a week, on Sunday after not shaving for two days. I know from past experience that the more I shave per week the quality gets worse. I think with a rested face, once per week blade shave frequency, relatively thick beard and pre treatment with St. Ives scrub, a good shave is going to happen most times. Since my beard grows slowly, what I have done in between shaves is touch up with an electric or perhaps run a Quattro or Fusion across portions of my face (usually the neck) usually even with no lather (I know this probably gets a lot of criticism and is terrible for my face). I find that I have to do this because the electric razor I use cuts my neck very poorly.

Ideally I would like to move up to shaving with a DE twice, maybe three times a week if needed. I still might have to touch up with an electric in between (especially if only shaving twice a week) but I am fine with that. I’ve gotten tired of the cartridges and their expense. One of the reasons I’ve stuck with cartridges so long is that shaving only once a week with them I can usually keep them for two months, getting roughly 8 to 9 shaves with them. However, the last few shaves are poor.
I’m thinking doing two and potentially three shaves a week with good technique would be possible with a DE. That’s my goal anyway. Two I am quite confident I could do, three would take some more practice to make sure I really have my technique down.

Which DE Razor to Get: So I have it narrowed down to two DE razors, still have not pulled the trigger. I am eyeing the Edwin Jagger DE89L or the Merkur HD 34C. Being a definite German buff and having lived there for a number of years I was initially pulled to the Merkur but having read more about the EJ, I’m now contemplating that more. I think both would be fine, heck maybe I’ll start with one and then get another in 6 months. Any recommendations, especially on a vendor?

Since I usually shave in the shower, I am a bit concerned about the handle being slippery, perhaps there are some variants on the DE89L that are less slippery? If so, I'd be interested to hear what they are.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Welcome to B&B! Don't forget the plethora of vintage Gillette razors out there for reasonable prices.

Welcome! You are in for a great journey. I predict you will quickly establish a desire to shave at least every other day (3-4X/week) if not every day. I also predict you will no longer need or want to touch up with anything that goes "whirrrr". I only have and use vintage Gillette razors so I would recommend you consider one. Both your choices are right up there on everyone's top razor list so you can't go wrong. They are both on my list if I ever decide to get a new 3-piece. I like the looks of the EJ better but the utility and knurled handle of the Merkur seems to be better. Heck, get them both! Get some good soaps and establish a good prep and shave routines and you will be fine.

a) the least-slippery of the EJ's is the "barley" handle -- I think the model number is DE89BAL. Even that handle (which is nicely engraved) is not as "grippy" as the Gillette Tech, which has sharp-edged knurling.

b) I have a suggestion:

. . . Stop irritating your face.

That is:

. . . Stop using the apricot scrub;

. . . Stop using the witchhazel / bay rum aftershave (which has alcohol in the "bay rum" part, and maybe in the witch hazel part as well.

Try, instead, plain soap and water for cleaning your skin. Then, put on a little bit of pre-shave oil to lubricate the skin -- almond oil, olive oil, or any commercial pre-shave oil. _Then_ put on lather. If you add some glycerin to the lather, even better.

When you switch to a DE razor, remember that the blades are _sharp_ - way sharper than cartridges. So use _no pressure on the blade_ when you shave, or you'll get razor burn in spite of the lather and pre-shave oil.

I see the whole "shave prep" exercise as trying to prevent the blade from scraping a layer off your skin. Gentleness, and lubrication, are the key.

And -- given your sensitive skin -- just do a single-pass shave, and try to do it "with the grain". That may mean shaving _upward_ on your neck.

This advice is worth what you paid for it . . .

Charles

PS -- I have both the EJ 89 and the Gillette Tech, and the EJ 89 (which I use most of the time) is milder. Either razor with an Astra or Feather blade will give an excellent shave, but you must be a little more careful with the Tech.

welcome. there's a warehouse in Brooklyn that sells them. good middle eastern products as well.
http://www.tulumba.com/

they carry many of the creams. also shoeboxshaving.com carries them as well.
I think you can't go wrong with either razor. Focus on finding a good blade as well that u like.
I inherited a merkur classic. Craftsmanship is noticeable, beautiful razor and I love German products. I just ordered a edwin jagger in barley chrome. beautiful handle. Honestly I used a Mach 3 for many years and an electric norelco. I prefer the standard hand, which is really a short hand for noobs. the shorter hand allows for better control, to me at least. I learned to hold it rather easily. like I said, either way u cannot go wrong. be sure to order a razor sample pack to try a few brands.
as for the shower- a good anti-fog mirror is key. I haven;t shaved in the shower in years because I enjoy lathering. and my bathroom is small. lol
I shave every day and enjoy it now. I take that extra time now and incorporate this into my life as it's a bit of "me" time.
I enjoy the zen of a great face lather for 5-7 mts lost in the bliss of an arko stick.

I think both would be fine, heck maybe I’ll start with one and then get another in 6 months. Any recommendations, especially on a vendor?

I think you answered your own question with this. At least that's what 99% of us here would do.

Thanks for all the warm welcoming wishes. I never thought my pre-shave scrub and homemade after shave were all that irritating. I could see perhaps the apricot scrub so I should try some pre-shave oil perhaps, not sure why I never picked up on that in the past, think I just stumbled upon the scrub and liked it. And, again I think that shaving only once a week with any kind of blade (cartridge, DE, straight) is very forgiving to one's face and one can get away with things that I could not if I shaved even 2 or 3 times a week.

As far as my homemade aftershave, it is 3 parts alcohol free Thayers Witch Hazel and one part Dominica Bay Rum so yes there is a little bit of alcohol but the reason I made it that way was because drug store brands really hurt my face. I probably don't really need it when I only shave once a week though.

Wow that webpage with the Turkish products is amazing. I never knew Arko made so many other products, they've got all kinds of stuff.

I'm really liking the looks of that EJ DE89BAL, I've got too many other ADs to deal with at the moment (PTAD = Pipe Tobacco AD; WAD = Whisky AD, etc.) but if nothing changes, I may order that one soon.

Welcome from another Northern Virginia resident!

I have the Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley, and absolutely love it. I don't find the handle slippery at all, and it's a mild razor while still delivering a very close shave.

Here's one recommendation while you decide which DE razor to buy first: get rid of the multi-blade cartridges, and buy some cheap Bic Sensitive disposables at the grocery store. They will not feel nearly as good as a finely crafted safety razor, but they will help you to really focus on technique, and also eliminate much of the irritation caused by the lift-and-tug-and-pull action of a cartridge. That's how I made the transition, and I still use them whenever I travel since you can bring them in a carry-on (no DE blades allowed).

Also, I agree with everyone else here; you definitely don't want to drag a razor over your face without some kind of lubrication. If you're in a hurry, you might try some Cremo Cream (or other brushless cream) - I found some at a local CVS.

Welcome to B&B.
I am still very new to DE Shaving (started June 20), but have learned so much from this site. My advice to to check out Reviews of the different products you're interested in, and ask questions whenever possible.
I am using an EJ87 as my first razor and I love it. It isn't slippery and gives me a mild,but close shave. I also recommend a razor sampler pack from our fine vendors associated with B&B. I have gotten all my stuff so far from WCS, they are very helpful and their customer service is outstanding.

I have the Merkur and so far so good. The razor works great. The person using it still needs a lot of work though using less pressure but its the bad habit i developed after many years shaving with a cartridge in the shower. I would also suggest killing the appricot scrub and going with something a little more forgiving like Noxema or Nivea face scrub. The St. Ive's stuff has bits of ground walnut shell in it which, at least for to me, can't feel good when you apply it. Just my .02. Enjoy.

Either razor would be a good choice to start with. I have the Merkur and love it, but never used an EJ. Ask 10 people their preference and you'll get 12 different answers. Just get the one that appeals to you.

Shaving every day with a DE is possible, even for those with sensitive skin. Using a cartridge or electric in between is counterproductive. Stick with the DE and your face will adjust and get used to it. Even if you only need to shave every other day, use the DE every time! Stick with it and I'm sure you'll see (and feel) the difference.

Interesting. I use the same facial scrub, but my routine differs. I shower in the evenings and shave in the mornings. Of course I vigorously wash my face with soap and water immediately prior to shaving. With an EJ DE89. I don't find it slippery at all, and my hands are wet, tho not under a showerhead. I used every cartridge that came along, finishing with the Fusion, and I'm still unlearning the habit of applying pressure. Whatever razor you choose, I'd recommend one that has a good heft to it. That cuts down the temptation to bear down and gouge.

I defer to the pros here. Happy hunting.

Ok after a particularly stressful workweek, I pulled the trigger and ordered EJ DE 89 with the barley handle plus a few packs of blades. I'm going to get some shaving oil as well and try it rather than scrub. I shaved twice so far this week with my cartridge with no real problems so think I can hopefully handle twice a week with a DE.

Top Bottom