What's new

My intro and a public thanks to Charles at QED

Hello, all. I am in my mid-30's and have hated shaving for all my adult life. I was a cartridge and can user for years and have been an electric user for the last 6 or 7 years. Actually, I've been more of a scruff, because I only shave when I absolutely have to.

Anyway, a friend sent me a link to an article about wetshaving with a DE razor so I thought I'd give it a try. I just ordered a setup from Charles at QED. His customer service is excellent. I had a UPS tracking number a little over an hour after placing my order. I only live about 80 miles from him, so I expect my new shaving gear tomorrow. I'm very excited.

My setup:

1. Merkur Classic HD
2. Savile Row SR-204 with faux ivory handle
3. Pack of Merkur blades
4. ??? cream or soap to start with. I wanted to order Taylors from Charles, but I'm already in danger of my wife using my new DE razor on me in unnatural and criminal ways. I'll get some mug soap or palmolive to begin with.

So far, I only have one question:

I understand you apply NO PRESSURE when shaving with a DE, but does that mean you let the razor fall down your face or do you still have positive control over its descent?

Mal,

First off, welcome to B&B!

Great question--I've had the same thought several times after reading this advice. Better I think to consider it as "very light pressure" than "no pressure," which, aside from being pretty much impossible :wink: , wouldn't give you much control of the sharp object touching your skin or a very good shave.

Again, welcome--and enjoy your new stuff. Charles is a prince, isn't he?

Welcome to B&B, Mal. It is hard to really comprehend the concept of razor pressure until you've held a razor and taken a few swipes. Best of luck and let us know how we can help.

Once you have the thing, it will be obvious (hopefully :wink: ). For creams, try begging T&H, Trumpers, etc. for freebies so you can see what you like, or check out the Trading Forum here for some good deals.

Malachi, I'm living like a wildcat in these hills, afraid to walk my own land....oh, wait, wrong movie-

WELCOME!!!!!

Marty

Mal said:
Hello, all. I am in my mid-30's and have hated shaving for all my adult life. I was a cartridge and can user for years and have been an electric user for the last 6 or 7 years. Actually, I've been more of a scruff, because I only shave when I absolutely have to.

Anyway, a friend sent me a link to an article about wetshaving with a DE razor so I thought I'd give it a try. I just ordered a setup from Charles at QED. His customer service is excellent. I had a UPS tracking number a little over an hour after placing my order. I only live about 80 miles from him, so I expect my new shaving gear tomorrow. I'm very excited.

My setup:

1. Merkur Classic HD
2. Savile Row SR-204 with faux ivory handle
3. Pack of Merkur blades
4. ??? cream or soap to start with. I wanted to order Taylors from Charles, but I'm already in danger of my wife using my new DE razor on me in unnatural and criminal ways. I'll get some mug soap or palmolive to begin with.

So far, I only have one question:

I understand you apply NO PRESSURE when shaving with a DE, but does that mean you let the razor fall down your face or do you still have positive control over its descent?

I think you have a very important grasp of concept here !!!!!!!!!!
it is way underestimated. I also think it definitly depends per razor since each razor weighs differently the pressure you use will be differently aswell.
Im a rookie compared to these veterans here. I mean 5 months DE shaving thats like kindergarden level.. but my best shaves come from a Gillette Fatboy razor with pretty heavy weight ,I let the razor glide of the face with just a little bit of pressure . I do think razor burn is connected to the wrong pressure of a razor not just using the wrong kind of shaving cream ie wrong consistancy of mix water quality vs lather density. sometimes I will have an extreme razor burn much more worse then anything I have ever experienced lucky its only happned twice or so yet I do think it has to do with also applying too much pressure on the razor and simply scraping alot of skin off !
it might be microns thick or even thinner but I do think when your careless and think you can go M3 speed or M3 pressure wise you will have invisible damage so it is better to get bad shaves in the beginning meaning in the beginning phases dont expect to get a better shave then a M3 atleast that was the way it was for me for one month till I got a better feeling for a DE blade got less scared of it and my technique /prep knowledge improved.

last but none the less ! DE Blades they make a difference offcourse a Fiat Punto gets you to work aswell but driving a Porche or Ferrari would get you there aswell with a whole different feeling uh I mean try to get your hands on Derby Extra, Israeli Personna , Euro Gillette, Feather.

Do not try out too many a different Razor. I have come to the conclusion it only distracts you from building up a good level of basic technique.

I have learned though in the 5 months that all the different razors they look nice but no way shave as close as eachother. my best razor for me sofar is a Fatboy Gillette. my latest razor is a long handle black Gillette and even though it looks nice weighs more then the thin handle I cant go BBS with it. I have 5 razors now and will simply settle on a top 3-4 why settle for a mediocre shave while you know this razor will get you always a BBS shave , I do like variety so I wouldnt wanna shave with a FB everyday. but if I had to choose going to an Island this would be my razor to go, Im really curious to the new injector Joel raves about. sorry to be so lenghty but you kinda wanna make sure you dont fall for the same mistakes as oneself did when one was a Newbie..

welcome aboard Mal....

when you first start out, there are so many little things to learn at once....

face preparation prior to shaving....
using and making good lather....
proper angle of the razor to your face...
pressure of the razor....
down strokes...up strokes...
razor pressure...
balm vs skin food
aftershave or cologne...
wife vs acquitsition of more stuff....

We are here to help every step of the way....

mark the shoeshine boy

Best advice as a fairly new DE shaver myself is to get your kit and stick with it. It's easy to get caught up in trying everything under the sun, but as with anything, master the fundamentals first. I stuck with a Merkur HD, Merkur blades, Vulfix brush, Proraso and Nancy Boy until I figured out what my face needed as far as prep, pressure, direction of swipes. I get great shaves every day now with no cuts or irritation.

Top Bottom