What's new

My initial thoughts about the 39c Sledgehammer razor

Today (as mentioned elsewhere) I used the 39c for the first time today. I must say it’s the best razor I have ever used. It feels really nice and weighty in the hand and the slanted head is ever so smooth and comfortable. I am still getting to grips with it but I am looking forward to teaching myself on how to get the most out of it. This razor is going to be a lifelong companion

Would it be worth getting a alum block to go with it? I don’t have one right now.

Jason.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Alum will close small nicks and let you know where you’ve overshaved. It’s a create technique teacher and moderate helper. A lot of folks claim it’s an antiseptic, but I found nothing on teh googlz verifying that claim.

Either it or a styptic pencil are great for small nicks and cuts. Styptic pencil works a little better and stings harder in my experience.

Alum will close small nicks and let you know where you’ve overshaved. It’s a create technique teacher and moderate helper. A lot of folks claim it’s an antiseptic, but I found nothing on teh googlz verifying that claim.

Either it or a styptic pencil are great for small nicks and cuts. Styptic pencil works a little better and stings harder in my experience.

Just ordered an alum block now.

Jason.

Today (as mentioned elsewhere) I used the 39c for the first time today. I must say it’s the best razor I have ever used. It feels really nice and weighty in the hand and the slanted head is ever so smooth and comfortable. I am still getting to grips with it but I am looking forward to teaching myself on how to get the most out of it. This razor is going to be a lifelong companion

Would it be worth getting a alum block to go with it? I don’t have one right now.

Jason.
My research says alum has an antibacterial effect. I have very oily skin and tend to get acne. After using alum for a couple of weeks my acne cleared up a lot and my skin became less oily. Ymmv

Thanks to all for your replies. I ordered a basic one off eBay for a couple of quid. I'll let you know how I get along with it.

Jason.

Glad you like the 39c. My experience with it is quite different from yours. I find it overly aggressive, and always results in lots of blade feel and plenty of nicks. Impossible to shave my head with it. It's one of my least used razors. But like with blades, YMMV is applicable to razors as well, so do not be discouraged by my experience.

Glad you like the 39c. My experience with it is quite different from yours. I find it overly aggressive, and always results in lots of blade feel and plenty of nicks. Impossible to shave my head with it. It's one of my least used razors. But like with blades, YMMV is applicable to razors as well, so do not be discouraged by my experience.
I fully understand what you are saying. Everybody's experience is different. But for me it was in a league of its own compared to razors I have used before. My wife knows how much I love my new razor and she is even keen to try it herself for shaving her legs with. I have only used my 39c once so its early days, but I am pretty confident that the more I use it, the better the shaves will become. And its MUCH better than the Mach3 which I also have. I will try it with various brands of blades and see which one I like most.

Jason.

Top Bottom