What's new

My initial outing...

Well I performed my first straight razor shave today...and it was great!:w00t: I only did 2 WTG passes and I had no nicks, cuts or bleeders (knock on wood). I have a goatee, mustache and chin strap, so my areas to shave are limited (my wife likes it so I can't shave them off).

I did find it really challenging to shave in some areas though. It was especially hard for me to find the correct hand hold/angle for when I am up close to the goatee and all areas under my neck. I am not sure if I have the razor in the correct hand or not at times. I was trying to keep the razor in the same hand as the side of face I was shaving. I am also trying to not go ATG, so that I can avoid ingrown hair and bumps. If anyone has any experience with that style facial hair and straight shaving I would appreciate any advice.

I can tell I really need to practice stropping alot. I am somewhat awkward at it.

But all in all, what a great experience and skill to learn. Thanks for all the help and resources I already have gotten from B&B and its members!

(...why is my hand shaking....oh...SRAD is setting in!)

Thanks again!

I did find it really challenging to shave in some areas though. It was especially hard for me to find the correct hand hold/angle for when I am up close to the goatee and all areas under my neck. I am not sure if I have the razor in the correct hand or not at times. I was trying to keep the razor in the same hand as the side of face I was shaving.

Congrats on entering the world of straights! Don't worry about which hand is right or wrong, it's what hand is comfortable. Experiment in the mirror trying different holds. I use my straight with the scales perpendicular to the edge, perpendicular to the spine, straight across (Japanese style), and various angles in between. Good Luck!

Top Bottom