What's new

My Inheritance

That's wunnerful.

:a14: Absolutely.
It's like that TV ad for Infiniti cars - "Luxury should be lived in."

I'm really curious about the canvas rolls. With the stenciled numbers they look like they might be military issue, but why would they have room for half a dozen razors?
  • Maybe they belonged to the regiment's barber, and he needed spare razors ready to go.
  • Maybe they were issued to hold some other stuff (surgical instruments?), but got re-purposed for razors after the war.
  • Maybe they were home-made, cut up and resewn from some other kind of roll.

There are many mysteries wrapped up in this stuff. The canvas rolls is one of them. You cannot easily tell from the pictures but they look different from one another. The one without the writing is a lighter shade that makes it look newer or possibly just less worn. The stitching is different between them too. I have entertained the idea that they originated with my grandfather from his time in the Army. He served in the Royal Engineers in the years after WWII, and if you look the initials "RE" are on the roll. But surely by this time straight razors weren't common military issue , so why would a razor roll be? I don't know enough about razor rolls to tell if these are typical specimens or if these look like something that had another purpose and have been adapted to carry straight razors.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I love seeing threads like this. Things kept and passed down through generations. The older I become, the more I appreciate it. Take care of them, everyone else did.

Wow, so many ERN razors in great shape!!!!! Those are killer razors, you’ve gotta send a couple out to be honed. Well done grandpas’!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick update everyone. Last night I used the Ever-Ready SE that I believe belonged to my grandfather. I carefully removed the blade that was in there, presumably from the last time he used it, and set it to one side. I inserted one of the NOS blades that was in the metal razor case. The blades say they are British made. A first for me. I have never used NOS blades before but have heard they are better than many that are manufactured today.

I have a GEM 1912 of American manufacture so I knew exactly how the Ever-Ready would shave. I was mostly curious about the blades. Let me just say that the shave went very well and I was very impressed by the blades. I had a few days beard growth which always helps me experience a shave with less irritation, but even accepting that it was a great shave.

I have put the original blade back into the razor and have stowed it away. I don't intend to use it very much as I already have the GEM 1912, so will keep it as a memento. I intend to use the NOS blades though!

Top Bottom