What's new

My inability to Tech

Anyone that can't get a good shave out of a Tech needs to work on their technique, specifically learning to hold the razor at the correct angle for the entire shave and their beard growth pattern.

Yes Techs are "mild", yes they have a narrow sweet spot, yes it may take you three passes and a touch up pass to get a BBS/DFS but no, your beard is not too "tough" or "coarse" for a Tech; they were sold and used for over 40 years for a reason by people with gnarlier beards.

Techs are the best starter razors as they teach the fundamentals of DE shaving correctly and well. Learning how to use a Tech will improve your overall technique with DEs and will improve your shaves with more "aggressive" razors.

Couldn't have said it better.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Go forth and grok their brainfuel!

@ShavingByTheNumbers - you’re wicked smart, right? Is there any verbal way of leading us more obtuse horses to the water of successfully using a blade with negative exposure such as a looker of a techarooni, please?

Suspecting it has to do with locating and ingraining the ”narrow sweet spot” mentioned by @cosmonaut , but my suspicions also involve the sun being an angry deity to be feared…

Go forth and grok their brainfuel!

@ShavingByTheNumbers Is there any verbal way of leading us more obtuse horses to the water of successfully using a blade with negative exposure such as a looker of a techarooni, please?

Suspecting it has to do with locating and ingraining the ”narrow sweet spot” mentioned by @cosmonaut , but my suspicions also involve the sun being an angry deity to be feared…

With my 1957 Gillette Tech, I found through measurements and photo analysis that it has a neutral blade width of 21.52 mm, meaning that all blades with larger widths will cause a positive blade exposure, such as a nominal blade width of 21.96 mm yielding a blade exposure of 0.09 mm:

I'm sure that Techs are not all created equal. They should have different blade exposures, guard spans, etc. With the same blade, some Techs probably have negative blade exposure while others have positive blade exposure. For my 1957 Gillette Tech, however, there is no blade that I'm aware of with such a small width as to shrink the blade exposure and turn it negative. The comprehensive DE razor blade database that I was going for didn't get very far, but there are other resources out there with blade measurements listed. Maybe you'll find what you're looking for. :)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Great review! None of my knowledge on the tech shaped razors is first-hand, but most all of them look very awesome. If they had negative exposure, I was hoping to brace for new learning so I could crush the razor because I couldn’t learn it instead of believe it might not work for/with me.

Hello.

I've been wetshaving with safety razors since 2005, back in the days of Gordon and the Shavemyface forum.

I've aquired zillions of razors (Gillettes,Injectors, Gems,shavettes,Merkurs, Feather,etc etc etc) and have received great shaves with most of them, and discovered through the years that my face, especially neck, prefers a mild shave for daily work shaves.

Which naturally led me to the beloved mild Tech.

I own new in the box ones. Old rusty ones. Fat handles. Ball end handles. Travel. British. American. Indian. Pre and post war ones. The Feather ASD2, which is the modern expensive version of one, known for ultra smooth and mild shaves.

AND I CAN ALMOST NEVER GET A GOOD SHAVE FROM ONE.

Never smooth. Sometimes not even mild. I don't even know how to describe what is happening with my Tech shaves.
I'm actually jealous of others who keep talking about how great a shave they got from them.

I've tried different blades, angles, techniques, and I'm about ready to call it a day and just forget they exist.

Back to the trusty Slim Adjustable on level one or two for the daily mild shave.

I'm wondering if I'm just so used to the angles and approaches for almost EVERY OTHER RAZOR IN THE WORLD that it messes this one up. Obviously I'm missing something here lol.
I love my Tech, but my favorite EFB (with peaked top cap) went completely worthless on me with the wrong blade.

So for me blade really really matters.

Also like many others here I’d say don’t try too hard to make it work. Try a couple things for sure but if it’s just not magic don’t try to make it so.

I'm thinking it actually might be a blade thing going on here.

And it's not because my hair is too wiry or whatever.

Technically, the thing cuts and gives a good shave, there is just no "comfortable" or "smooth" attached to that.

Apparently I've found its tight sweet spot. geez that sounds bad 🤦

Rephrase: apparently I've found its more limited cutting range, but that range is almost scraping painful, no matter the different style Tech I use.

I know everyone loves feathers, but more than 2 days use of them even if a new blade every time with ANY razor will start to do very bad things with my skin.

I'm thinking I'm about to agree with most of you and throw in the towel. My mileage has definitely varied.

May the Gillette Adjustable Slim live forever!

I just think it's weird that I feel like I've basically "mastered" so many razors and blades through the years and can't get a grip on the one most recommended for beginners or that want a comfortable, smooth shave.

Can't win them all. 😃

I'm thinking it actually might be a blade thing going on here.

And it's not because my hair is too wiry or whatever.

Technically, the thing cuts and gives a good shave, there is just no "comfortable" or "smooth" attached to that.

Apparently I've found its tight sweet spot. geez that sounds bad 🤦

Rephrase: apparently I've found its more limited cutting range, but that range is almost scraping painful, no matter the different style Tech I use.

I know everyone loves feathers, but more than 2 days use of them even if a new blade every time with ANY razor will start to do very bad things with my skin.

I'm thinking I'm about to agree with most of you and throw in the towel. My mileage has definitely varied.

May the Gillette Adjustable Slim live forever!

I just think it's weird that I feel like I've basically "mastered" so many razors and blades through the years and can't get a grip on the one most recommended for beginners or that want a comfortable, smooth shave.

Can't win them all. 😃
Hah! FWIW I love sharp blades in my tech bit cant STAND Feathers.

There is just something about them.

I like Nacets and 7 o’clock greens for the right balance of sharp and smooth.

good luck either way!

Hah! FWIW I love sharp blades in my tech bit cant STAND Feathers.

There is just something about them.

I like Nacets and 7 o’clock greens for the right balance of sharp and smooth.

good luck either way!
I just got in an order of 7 oclock greens. I'll have to give them a try. Thanks!

I didnt get great shaves initially. I realized the handle was hollow and filled it up with no. 7 shot. Around 80 grams now and is much better. The extra weight paired with a Kai, Feather, or Med Prep def kicked it up a notch.

I didnt get great shaves initially. I realized the handle was hollow and filled it up with no. 7 shot. Around 80 grams now and is much better. The extra weight paired with a Kai, Feather, or Med Prep def kicked it up a notch.
Would have never to fill the handle up! That would change things.

I can shave with anything.

In my case, the secret is to apply oil on the face and a few drops of water, brief massage before applying the shaving soap foam.

Always repeat the application of the oil before applying soap.

Both R41 or IKON SAVECRAFT TECH 103, as MERKUR FUTUR clone on dial 8, or MERGRESS on 8.

The REX AMBASADOR does not exceed 6, but you can put three wedges and even add a second sheet.

I love TECHs. And even more so the GILLETTE TECH FAT Handle 1940.

My shave today ..

- ARCO soap
- Yaqi Rainbow Brush

* Two passes with the Gillette Aristocrata 1948 and one pass with a very good Multi-blade. The Gillette VENUS Swirl.

Not a CBD extreme shave.

I can shave with anything.

In my case, the secret is to apply oil on the face and a few drops of water, brief massage before applying the shaving soap foam.

Always repeat the application of the oil before applying soap.

Both R41 or IKON SAVECRAFT TECH 103, as MERKUR FUTUR clone on dial 8, or MERGRESS on 8.

The REX AMBASADOR does not exceed 6, but you can put three wedges and even add a second sheet.

I love TECHs. And even more so the GILLETTE TECH FAT Handle 1940.

My shave today ..

- ARCO soap
- Yaqi Rainbow Brush

* Two passes with the Gillette Aristocrata 1948 and one pass with a very good Multi-blade. The Gillette VENUS Swirl.

Not a CBD extreme shave.
What kind of oil are you using?

You are describing shaves that would mean suicide to me lol

What kind of oil are you using?

You are describing shaves that would mean suicide to me lol

I use with very good results as a previous shave a mixture of sunflower oil 90% + olive oil 10%.

In case you want to use coconut oil, I mix it with the sunflower oil.

I let it marinate for two weeks with a kind of clove and 10 sachets of chamomile (Recurtila chamomile)

I apply 5 to 10 drops of the mixture to my face before applying the soap foam. Between each shaving pass.

I use with very good results as a previous shave a mixture of sunflower oil 90% + olive oil 10%.

In case you want to use coconut oil, I mix it with the sunflower oil.

I let it marinate for two weeks with a kind of clove and 10 sachets of chamomile (Recurtila chamomile)

I apply 5 to 10 drops of the mixture to my face before applying the soap foam. Between each shaving pass.
Sounds like it would give either a nice glide or cushion, or a combo of both

Sounds like it would give either a nice glide or cushion, or a combo of both

I think it adds as a protective mattress under the foam.

The blade of the blade cuts the hair and brushes the skin in the form of an exfoliation and drags everything it finds.

The way I use it, I add protection. You notice it especially with very aggressive razors, like the Gillette SAVECRAFT TECH 103, LA R41, or the PROGRESS or REX at high dials.

That's my opinion.

Top Bottom