What's new

My inability to Tech

Hello.

I've been wetshaving with safety razors since 2005, back in the days of Gordon and the Shavemyface forum.

I've aquired zillions of razors (Gillettes,Injectors, Gems,shavettes,Merkurs, Feather,etc etc etc) and have received great shaves with most of them, and discovered through the years that my face, especially neck, prefers a mild shave for daily work shaves.

Which naturally led me to the beloved mild Tech.

I own new in the box ones. Old rusty ones. Fat handles. Ball end handles. Travel. British. American. Indian. Pre and post war ones. The Feather ASD2, which is the modern expensive version of one, known for ultra smooth and mild shaves.

AND I CAN ALMOST NEVER GET A GOOD SHAVE FROM ONE.

Never smooth. Sometimes not even mild. I don't even know how to describe what is happening with my Tech shaves.
I'm actually jealous of others who keep talking about how great a shave they got from them.

I've tried different blades, angles, techniques, and I'm about ready to call it a day and just forget they exist.

Back to the trusty Slim Adjustable on level one or two for the daily mild shave.

I'm wondering if I'm just so used to the angles and approaches for almost EVERY OTHER RAZOR IN THE WORLD that it messes this one up. Obviously I'm missing something here lol.

Gordon and SMF. Sure brings back memories. On the opposite end, I’ve bought many Fatips and Plissons, most recently in February. But I still struggle with them. You would think after the first two I would have stopped, but no. I still look for excuses (opportunities) to aquire. It’s just the nature of this hobby. One day soon I will get an irritation free Fatip shave. I’m sure of it.

The Tech is a mild razor, and you may have coarse whiskers.

Shimming a Tech can help if you are into shimming. But if you zillions of razors, why not just select a more aggressive/efficient razor?
I've always been curious about shimming. Perhaps there are some good videos for it.

The aggressive razors tend to leave my neck with irritation for my daily work shaves. Ideally I would shave every other day. My coarseness seems normal, but I don't check others to compare it contrast lol.

I have the exact same trouble with Techs and the same love for my slim adjustable. I do have thick coarse hair and sensitive skin though and I find the EJ DE89 and Rockwell 3 plate are my most efficient and nick free razors.

Hello.

I've been wetshaving with safety razors since 2005, back in the days of Gordon and the Shavemyface forum.

I've aquired zillions of razors (Gillettes,Injectors, Gems,shavettes,Merkurs, Feather,etc etc etc) and have received great shaves with most of them, and discovered through the years that my face, especially neck, prefers a mild shave for daily work shaves.

Which naturally led me to the beloved mild Tech.

I own new in the box ones. Old rusty ones. Fat handles. Ball end handles. Travel. British. American. Indian. Pre and post war ones. The Feather ASD2, which is the modern expensive version of one, known for ultra smooth and mild shaves.

AND I CAN ALMOST NEVER GET A GOOD SHAVE FROM ONE.

Never smooth. Sometimes not even mild. I don't even know how to describe what is happening with my Tech shaves.
I'm actually jealous of others who keep talking about how great a shave they got from them.

I've tried different blades, angles, techniques, and I'm about ready to call it a day and just forget they exist.

Back to the trusty Slim Adjustable on level one or two for the daily mild shave.

I'm wondering if I'm just so used to the angles and approaches for almost EVERY OTHER RAZOR IN THE WORLD that it messes this one up. Obviously I'm missing something here lol.

It is all about what works for you. Work it until it doesn’t work anymore.
Shave Happy!

I thought is was just me not being able to get the shave I wanted from a tech. Lots of people rave about them. Just not the razor for me.

The ’good news’ is that you have plenty of great non-Tech options!! Plus, you know what you like!!

Why struggle to ‘make’ something work??
I think that it might have something to do with spending so much money on that Feather ASD2 and getting the same results as my Techs. Such a beautiful piece of equipment. At this moment such a waste.

A lot don't like it because it is too mild, just like the Techs. But that is what I wanted out of them.

But I'm getting what I want from the Slim.

ASD2 will make a beautiful paper weight I suppose.

I have the exact same trouble with Techs and the same love for my slim adjustable. I do have thick coarse hair and sensitive skin though and I find the EJ DE89 and Rockwell 3 plate are my most efficient and nick free razors.
After reading these, maybe I do have more coarse hair than I thought I did.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Some folks prefer vanilla and some prefer strawberry. ;)

One of my top tier Techs with a Kai blade shaves my coarse, wiry, chaotic, very gray Southern Italian beard as good as any razor in my den.

But if the Tech doesn't work for you, there are plenty of other fish in the sea. :)

YMMV :)

I thought is was just me not being able to get the shave I wanted from a tech. Lots of people rave about them. Just not the razor for me.
I'm thinking maybe if I hid all my other razors and only allowed myself use of the Tech for about a month, then I should have it figured out lol. But like others have mentioned, why bother when I have so many other good ones. Bummer. For some reason I really like the idea of them better than the real thing.

I think that it might have something to do with spending so much money on that Feather ASD2 and getting the same results as my Techs. Such a beautiful piece of equipment. At this moment such a waste.

A lot don't like it because it is too mild, just like the Techs. But that is what I wanted out of them.

But I'm getting what I want from the Slim.

ASD2 will make a beautiful paper weight I suppose.

I learned to shave with a Slim back in the day!! Still a great razor IMHO!! :a29:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I'm thinking maybe if I hid all my other razors and only allowed myself use of the Tech for about a month, then I should have it figured out lol.

Reading other folks’ ”fixed four” challenges (same razor, same type of blade, same brush, same type of soap/cream for a month) makes me think it could be a good way to learn a razor’s idiosyncrasies. I’ve been doing 2/4 (same blade and razor) and it goes between feeling accomplished and ashamed so far, but I grab that same razor even on nights I planned to use something else.

But like others have mentioned, why bother when I have so many other good ones.

Getting it to work consistently is a challenge. It will mean you patiently developed a skill and developed technique adjustments no one else could write or show in a video and contrive profanities no one else would feel comfortable uttering.

For some reason I really like the idea of them better than the real thing.

There‘s a lot of maturity in that statement. Ignore it and scour the internet for the right Tech! ;)

Top Bottom