What's new

My Impressions of Various Razors

I started wet shaving in late-2018, and I’ve been lurking on this forum since then. I have found this forum to be a great source of information throughout that time.

For me, the wet shaving learning curve has been very steep. I got into this because I’ve always managed to irritate my skin, especially my neck, with electric razors. I could never use cartridge razors. Since I started wet shaving, I’ve gone through phases with good results and others where it consistently looked like I shaved with a cheese grater. I’ve also given up a few times, but the hobby keeps calling me back because I know the potential to get good my best results is with wet shaving.

This spring, after giving up for a couple months, I started wet shaving again. I’m now getting the most consistently good results I’ve ever managed to achieve. I’m not sure what I can attribute the improved results to, but I think it’s locking my wrist (moving the razor with my shoulder instead of my hand) and maintaining a shallow angle with all razors. The good results I have been getting finally gave me the confidence to start shaving ATG, which has been much smoother than I anticipated (I used to think guys on here were crazy when they would talk about going ATG).

Like many guys on here, I’ve acquired a RIDICULOUS number of razors along the way. However, now that I’m consistently getting respectable results, I feel I’m in a better position to evaluate how these razors work for me.

Tatara Masamune: this is the newest addition to my collection. I have both the Masamune and Nodachi caps and baseplates, along with the Masamune handle.

My evaluation of this razor:

1) The aesthetics of this razor are phenomenal, especially the dimpled handle. The Masamune cap came with a chip, which annoys me a bit only because the whole package is so impressive.

2) Ergonomics (grip, weight, etc.) are excellent.

3) Masamune cap and baseplate: very mild, and the shave doesn’t last very long.

4) Nodachi cap with Masamune plate: this gives the shaver a neutral blade exposure. The face feel is noticeably different, but only because the full Masamune set is so restrained with blade exposure that it doesn’t even feel like you’re shaving. This combination does provide a better shave, but the longevity of the shave is still lacking compared to others.

5) Overall: I find the shave of both cap/baseplate combinations to be too mild. I use the Masamune when my skin is a bit irritated or on mornings when I don’t have the motivation or time to closely concentrate on shaving. The one thing I can say for this shaver, however, is that it is one of the few from which I’ve never gotten any irritation.

Tatara Nodachi:

1) With Nodachi cap: whereas the Masamune was gentle, this one is very aggressive. The razor cuts close with significant blade feel, which lets you know you can’t afford to be careless. With that said, the shave never feels painful or uncomfortable like some other aggressive razors on the market.

2) With Masamune cap: this configuration takes the blade exposure to slightly negative (a significant decrease from +.013). The difference in feel is very noticeable. I would say that this configuration doesn’t feel much more aggressive than the Masamune + Nodachi cap. However, the efficiency is kicked up significantly due to the Nodachi plate’s significantly higher blade gap.

3) The overall closeness of the shave the first configuration is extremely impressive, one of the closest shaves I’ve ever managed to get, as a matter of fact.

4) The second configuration does not provide the close shave that the first does, but it is still very good and MUCH milder feeling overall.

5) Overall: I find both configurations of the Nodachi very impressive. The versatility provided by the option to switch caps is extremely useful.
When it comes time to reduce my collection, I will most likely be keeping the Tatara razors, mainly for the shaves I get with the Nodachi baseplate.

Last edited:
Lupo. 95:

1) I love the looks of this razor.

2) The grip and aesthetic quality of the RR HD handle are excellent. The build quality appears to be great, especially considering the price.

3) The shave: in contrast to the Nodachi, this razor felt very smooth, despite its position on RR’s aggression scale and blade gap. Efficiency was very good, perhaps slightly less close than the Nodachi. Trade-offs are inevitable, so I’ll have to keep shaving with both of these to see which I prefer. As I expected, there was very minimal alum feedback post-shave.

4) The Lupo .95 is a keeper for now, although I have a Timeless .95 coming, and that could easily replace this or the Nodachi.

Game Changer .68:

1) Build quality and aesthetics: excellent. I once again used the RR HD handle, which is one of my favorites; up there with the Rockwell 6S handle for weight and grip.

2) The shave: Exceptionally smooth and pretty close given the mild, drama-free shave. However, as expected it was noticeably less close than the Lupo and Nodachi, but definitely closer than either configuration of the Masamune. Again, trade-offs. Zero alum feedback.

3) Overall impressions: I wasn’t expecting much from this razor, as I was just wanting to give my skin a break after using the Lupo .95 the previous day, but the smoothness to closeness ratio really impressed me.

Blackbird:

1) Aesthetics and build quality: Wow! This thing is the best looking razor I’ve ever seen in real-life. This thing is a work of art. The build quality is impeccable; the grip and weight are excellent.

2) The shave: I have had some really bad experiences with this razor. A couple months ago, I managed to irritate my neck and cheeks so much that I had to stop shaving for a week. I still have redness and bumps in that same area on my neck. HOWEVER, for as much blade feel as this razor has, it always feels smooth during the shave.

My latest shave with the Blackbird was phenomenal: amazingly close and efficient with almost no alum feedback.

Overall impression: I’m always a little nervous when using this razor for obvious reasons, but I doubt I’m ever going to sell it. I love the looks of it too much, and the shave is great (when I don’t foul up on technique). That said, I don’t know how often I’m actually going to use it.

Tomorrow: the Timeless .95

Timeless .95

1) Aesthetics/build quality: I went “cheap” and got a scratch and dent head in the matte finish. Considering some of the images I’ve seen of Timeless razors on here, the looks are a bit disappointing. However, the craftsmanship and build quality are phenomenal (I can tell this thing would look amazing in a polished finish). Also, with the matte finish, I don’t have to worry about babying like a fine work of art, constantly worrying about the slightest scratch.

2) The shave: this is the important part. I’m absolutely amazed by this razor. The Lupo .95 is a smooth shaver with a large blade gap, but this, by far, is THE top razor I’ve ever used in terms of blade gap/smoothness ratio. I’m no expert on the technical engineering aspects of safety razors, but to my eyes, this looks a lot like the Rockwell design: the head bends the blade in a similar fashion, and exposure seems minimal. The key difference seems to be that the Timeless has much more rigid clamping. I don’t know if this is what we can attribute this extraordinary smoothness to or not.

3) Overall impressions: The Timeless already occupies a place in the top tier of my collection. I will not be selling this one.

Top Bottom