What's new

My humble quest for toothpaste

My grandfather used to dip his brush in hydrogen peroxide and sprinkle on baking soda.

I've done that. I would also sprinkle a little Kosher Salt on top to add to the mix. Tastes terrible, works great.

Sometimes, after I use a regular toothpaste for cleaning, I brush my teeth and gums again with the brush soaked in Witch Hazel. Its great to treat gingivitis and provide overnight relief for a minor toothache.

Surprised nobody mentioned Tom's of Maine yet. What do y'all think of that brand? I recently bought a tube, but I'm trying to use up my tube of Crest before I start.
Tom's markets themselves as a healthier alternative however their toothpaste contains more SLS than your typical crest or similar type toothpaste and people actually end up having more issues after using it.

My dental hygienist recommends using mouthwash before brushing to make brushing more effective. I've followed her advice, and during my last cleaning she asked what I was doing differently, that things looked better than usual. It didn't dawn on me at the time.

My teeth feel cleaner since I have been following her suggestions.

The problem with most whitening toothpastes is that they contain a mild abrasive to get rid of stains. In my mind this is not the best thing for your teeth.
All toothpastes have mild abrasives.
Whitening pastes have far more aggressive abrasives.

Look at Oxyfresh, it is a low abrasive toothpaste and actually decreases the amount of plaque one builds up.

That's not it ... but its the closest I've seen in 40 years!

The bottle is the same color. The label is similar design, with a lot of flowers and herbal leaves. The company that makes it is German(?) and I was thinking Swiss ... but other than that, it looks like it could be from the same company.

The stuff you showed me is a liquid vitamin supplement, and my stuff was definitely for tooth-care ... but the similarities are eerie. I'll look around on Google and see what else I can dig up about this Salus-Haus firm.

Thanks for digging that up! I'll post back here if I find any more.

I've also gone off SLS. If you're also off fluoride, there's some very nice SLS-free options around the world. But I prefer to get pasted with fluoride, and it's hard to find a good product with that combination.

I've been using The Natural Dentist. Unfortunately, they stopped making my favorite orange flavor. They still have grape & berry, and peppermint. I just looked up their website and they claim to have SLS in their "all in one" fluoride formulation, but I still only see the SLS-free version in the stores. SLS and related compounds have like 100 different names, so it's hard to know what's what. The downside is this isn't a very natural product. There's a few nasty chemicals in it.

Tom's of Maine also has SLS-free fluoridated toothpaste but there's an off taste to it. On the plus side, the ingredients, aside from fluoride, are as natural and safe as just about anything out there.

One issue with any SLS-free toothpaste is you won't get that clean (?) tingly feeling you get from the nasty poisonous sulfated chemicals.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Yes, I took it down because I realized that was not a toothpaste. But since it helped you on your quest I'll post it again!

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/flora-floradix-iron-herbs-17-fl-oz/fl-1011#.VjQC5I7F_C9

That's not it ... but its the closest I've seen in 40 years!

The bottle is the same color. The label is similar design, with a lot of flowers and herbal leaves. The company that makes it is German(?) and I was thinking Swiss ... but other than that, it looks like it could be from the same company.

The stuff you showed me is a liquid vitamin supplement, and my stuff was definitely for tooth-care ... but the similarities are eerie. I'll look around on Google and see what else I can dig up about this Salus-Haus firm.

Thanks for digging that up! I'll post back here if I find any more.

Yes, I took it down because I realized that was not a toothpaste. But since it helped you on your quest I'll post it again!

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/flora-floradix-iron-herbs-17-fl-oz/fl-1011#.VjQC5I7F_C9

I wasn't sure what was going on ... when I went to "Reply With Quote" the cursor just kept spinning and spinning. I tried another browser window and got the same thing. Then I noticed the post was deleted. I'm glad you did it rather than a Mod, but I couldn't imagine what rule might have been broken.

Went back through my history to find the page with the supplement listing ... from there, it was easy enough to re-create a mock-up of your original (deleted) post.

I've been on the toothpaste quest for a year too.. Tried a mint and cinnamon Marvis, therabreath, toms, Jason, and some others. Marvis was nice, i enjoyed it... I also like their concentrate for mouthwash.

I'd like to try earth paste but for some reason I've never pulled the trigger on buying it. Maybe soon.

YKMV mentioned Weleda Calendula. I loved the stuff when I was first looking at SLS-free toothpastes, but, alas, no fluoride version.

There really are some very nice options if you don't want fluoride. This was one of the best I found.

I love the weleda calendula line, never saw the toothpaste though.. I will have to look

Have a question related cah-len-dula or ca-lend-ula?

There's a tooth gell called Livionex, with no abrasives or foaming agents, that very effectively removes placque. It's not cheap, but you only use a little on a dry toothbrush twice a day. It leaves your teeth feeling like you just had them cleaned at the dentist's office. I believe you have to order it online.

Top Bottom