What's new

My humble quest for toothpaste

Hi there everyone !

A few years ago, I replaced my light beer for some strong micro brewery ales, more recently, I started wet shaving and it struck me: What if I'm missing on some great experiences just because I buy and use big brands product and do exactly the same as everyone else? Is it possible that the general attitude toward consumption is to buy cheap products that are easy and fast to use ? So now I try and have an open mind and ask myself : is there a better way to do something I've been doing the same way for years ?

I could write a few story like this one and I probably will but today I feel like talking about toothpaste ! I recently asked myself: Is there anything better than the big brands of toothpaste? Apparently yes, there is a community of people wondering how to get a pleasurable experience while brushing their teeth.

So the first thing I tried was dried toothpaste sold by a company called LUSH (Canadians will probably know that company) Their toothpaste is sold in form of little white pills. All you have to do is chew the pills and spread the powder across your mouth and then brush your teeth with a little bit of water. The product also claims to be free of any chemicals (that's the whole LUSH mission). I have to be honest, I was not completely satisfied with the product. It taste good but not great, there is an after-taste of what I guess is baking soda (is it the good english term??) Also, the whole pill thing is convenient but far from pleasurable. Since there is no paste, once mixed with water it becomes toothliquid instead of toothpaste and it tends to drip everywhere (very messy lol) Altough, to be fair I have to say that my teeth feel very clean after, more than with any commercial toothpaste and the feeling lasts for very long. So I love the result but not the process. I still use it sometimes but I doubt I will buy more once I get trough the 80 pills I bought.

After that experience, I placed on hold my quest to better my teeth brushing ritual. Until last sunday, I went into a hair product shop (I was out of shampoo) and I saw some Marvis toothpaste. I saw that brand a few times on the internet but never in a brick and mortar store. The price was quite high, 5.90$ CAD (about 4$ USD) for a 25ml tube. But I still wanted to try it and I am very happy with the product. I got a tube of Sea mint but there are a few flavors you get to choose from. The taste and the after-taste are absolutely awesome WAY WAY better than any other toothpaste I tried. Your mouth feels cleaner for longer than other toothpaste tough not as much as the pills from LUSH. Finally, the paste is a lot more firm than regular toothpaste which feels nice and require less. It doesn't compensate the high price tag but it help. So if you ever come across Marvis toothpaste I suggest you try it !

For those of you who already tried it, what do you think ?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have not yet tried Marvis, although I've heard plenty about it.

I've gone with Mentadent for some time, now, and I've always been happy with it. Like you described with Marvis, it leaves a very clean mouthfeel, but with a good flavor. There is a slight flavor of baking soda, but it is not so strong as to be unpleasant. My biggest problem with Mentadent is that it is all but impossible to travel with, due to the bulk and design of the container/dispenser. When I travel, I just bring the small travel tube of whatever my dentist gave me at my last visit.

Also, be very wary of any claim that a product (especially toothpaste) is free of "chemicals." That's something of a BS claim. Everything out there is a chemical. Baking soda is a chemical, as is fluoride, hydrogen peroxide, and whatever other ingredients you may find in any toothpaste or tooth powder. Heck, water is a chemical. So, if someone is claiming that their product is free of "chemicals," they are defining that term to their convenience and, likely, to play upon certain consumers' fears or misunderstandings.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
To be fair to LUSH, I didn't see anywhere that they tried to claim not using chemicals.
I did see that they stated they try to avoid synthetic preservatives.
They seem pretty clear in their ingredients lists that they do use synthetic compounds as well as naturally occurring ones and try to point them out as to which is which.
Definitely going for the "whole foods" group, but as a guy who isn't frightened to death of parabens and a guy who thinks the "all natural" line is so much hogwash, I didn't see anything that put me off.

My younger sister works for Lush. "Toothy Tabs" are what you were referring too. Most of there products are on-point in terms of smell and effectiveness, but Toothy Tabs are god-awful...

Smallflower.com (Merz Apothecary in Chicago) has a wonderful assortment of dental care products.
http://www.smallflower.com/search/dental-care

The best tooth-care I ever used came in a small brown trapezoidal bottle. I think it was made in Switzerland and I think I bought it at C&E, but it was like 40 years ago and I've never seen it anywhere else since.

This was a liquid that you dispensed a few drops at a time onto your wet toothbrush. It got my teeth that squeaky-clean feeling like you get when you've come out of the dentist's office and the hygenist gives your teeth a pulse-jet water cleaning. This liquid tasted good, smelled great, and it left some sort of coating on my teeth that made them repel food from sticking the rest of the day.

It was really great stuff. Not that expensive either. I wish I could remember the name so I can search for it online.

The only Marvis flavour I've tried is the licorice. Very good. Strong flavour and long lasting. If toothpaste is what interests you, try some of the Indian brands. Meswak, Dabur Red, Dabur Neem, Patanjali are all great. Tooth powders are also an option. There used to be a 'monkey brand tooth powder' which was quite popular 10-15 years ago.:001_smile

Tooth powders and pastes without glycerin are what I choose. In the morning I use Earthpaste (with my Sonicare) and at night I use My Favorite Mud powder (with a regular toothpaste). At my last checkup my dentist was astounded by the improvement in my gums and how little my teeth needed cleaning.

I've used Weleda toothpaste for years. I've tried the licorice and a couple of other flavors but I'm stuck on the Salt Toothpaste they make. The salt does a good job of cleaning and rinses well. It also is a low foaming toothpaste so I don't drip all over the sink.

All through my teen and 20's and 30's I suffered from severe canker sores. A little research showed me that it was the Sodium Laurel Sulfate or SLS in the toothpaste that caused the problem. Weleda has no SLS.. I've not had a canker sore in 30 years..

No less than a dozen coffee's a day, and almost 2 packs of cigarette's, and this stuff works better than anything I've tried.

$20151029_185253_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The problem with most whitening toothpastes is that they contain a mild abrasive to get rid of stains. In my mind this is not the best thing for your teeth.

I've tried all the different ones from places like Smallflower, shoebox shaveshop, etc over the past 4 years. Marvis is good, i like the Licorice one (Black label) and the one in the purple(it was some floral one, forgot the flavor). A brand called Botot from france was also good and Ajona is great and lasts forever BUT the all time best is an all natural one called Uncle Harry's (found it originally on Smallflower), I particularly like their Spearmint, the Anise and peppermint are good too. It leaves your mounth super fresh and clean feeling and I honesly think my gums have improved since using it for about three months.
https://www.uncleharrys.com/store/mouth-care/toothpaste/spearmint-toothpaste-3-oz-glass-jar

I have thought about the benefits to 'better' products, and always try in most things to with more natural products, but when it comes down to it, you need something that works. Same as deodorant. I've literally bought every male and some female products out there, and Original Old Spice works. That's it, just the one.

Surprised nobody mentioned Tom's of Maine yet. What do y'all think of that brand? I recently bought a tube, but I'm trying to use up my tube of Crest before I start.

I used to use a tooth powder called cortoid or some such name for years. I haven't seen it on shelves (or tooth powder for that matter) for many years.

Tom's was all over here awhile ago, hard to find now. I know of only one place that carries it, and the Kiss MY Face stuff.

Tom's of Maine is good stuff. I've used their toothpaste, deodorants and other health-care items. But they tend to be more expensive than I'd like to spend.

Trader Joe has some excellent Tom's knock-offs that are much lower cost. I use TJ's unscented deodorant stick with cotton fibers and its the best I've ever found at any price. And I like TJ's Propolis-Fennel-Myrrh toothpaste. It tastes good, does a great job cleaning, but does not contain flouride. I have a separate prescription-strength toothpaste that my dentist recommends to add flouride, but I only use that once or twice a week.

Check out ethnic grocery stores in your area ... besides food, they often carry hygiene products from back home that appeal to their clientele.

Especially the Indo-Pak stores ... there are a lot of Ayurvedic hygiene products that are top-notch quality and very low cost.

Top Bottom