What's new

My hot towel process

When we remodeled our kitchen a few years ago, my wife wanted a hot water spigot with its own hot water tank (instant hot water) in the new sink so she could use it for hot tea. Little did she know I would be the one using it. I have it set at about 180 degrees and run a large cup of hot water to wet my towel and put in my soap bowl. Sometimes I have to wait a few seconds so the towel is not too hot, but man does the towel and lather feel good.

Anyone else have "hot towel secrets" for a really warm towel?

I will usually just use steaming water from the tap for my hot towel. I have thrown one in the microwave before though.

I'm a cold water shaver, and I can't see the lady of the house being too impressed if I started keeping wet towels in the fridge... Although I'll never know until I try, I suppose! :lol:

I just got a dirt cheap used GE "Hot Pot" from eBay to make good hot lather, and I haven't figured out how to do a towel. I did a little research and Hamilton Beach makes an electric kettle that's interesting. But that's for my work place. At home I'm definitely thinking about a dispenser faucet.

I think it's kind of interesting, I just did a bunch of test shaves on antique scuttles and posted in a thread about them. (search Yay! Arko, but Arko isn't the real theme.) One of my presuppositions was that in old days guys had to get hot water from the kitchen to shave.

I know that's beyond the original towel question, but the full circle of coming around to get water from the kitchen is fascinating.

I'll look for the thread and edit.

Edit: http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=304534

This is the thread with a bunch of comments about retrieving water to shave. It seems to be the more things change the more they stay the same.

That thread drifts, so you're forewarned if it looses your interest.

Last edited:
I always thought using hot water would strip skin of its natural oils. I understand the towel treatment once in a while but not for every day shaving/cleaning.
I use lukewarm water for shaving and cleaning and cold water for rinsing.

I must admit that hot water/lather feels great on face and it is very relaxing.

I always thought using hot water would strip skin of its natural oils. I understand the towel treatment once in a while but not for every day shaving/cleaning.
I use lukewarm water for shaving and cleaning and cold water for rinsing.

I must admit that hot water/lather feels great on face and it is very relaxing.

"Relaxing" is the key word here...the hot steamy towel wilts and relaxes the whiskers,giving us less chance of irritation,ingrown hairs and a much smoother shave due to less resistance on the blade...

Can't a hot Silvertip brush on a hot lathered scuttle serve the same purpose. I find it very relaxing. Never bothered with towels... Too cumbersome for me.

I opt to use a hot towel as part of my shaving routine once or twice a month. I prepare my towel with my clothes steamer.

I use my garment steamer for shaving, household cleaning, automotive detailing and, of course, pressing clothes.

Top Bottom