What's new

My hot take on Gillette adjustable razors

OK, I dislike "hot takes" as much as the next guy, and what I'm about to post is my actual opinion, not really a "hot take," but I think it will be viewed as such by some readers.

Here it is: When it comes to adjustable razors, Gillette got it right the first time; every iteration thereafter was a worse razor than the one that preceded it.

I have tried all four adjustables that Gillette made. For me, the Toggle is the best of them. Great weight, perfect balance, good range of aggression, superior method of opening/closing (includes the half-way for rinsing, and is closed securely whenever the handle is extended without having to fiddle with the last "quarter-turn," meant for adjusting on the fly without loosening). It's just an almost perfect razor.

Next, the Fatboy. Excellent weight, perfect length, love the girth of the handle, good grip, pretty good range of adjustability, very smooth, very good shaver.

Next, the Slim. Thinner, longer handle just messes with weight distribution and provides no positives, range of adjustability not that much different from Fatboy, thinner head is actually a drawback for shaving under the jawline, doesn't feel as comfortable in the hand or on the face as the Fatboy.

Finally, the SuperAdjustable. The worst of the lot for me; uglier, longer handle, some with plastic underneath the head, no improvement in shaving characteristics to make up for its ugliness.

So, the best is the Toggle, then the Fatboy, then the Slim, then finally the SA. So, as I said earlier, they got it right with the very first offering, and every so-called improvement thereafter was actually a devolution. Sort of like their cartridge razors, lol.

OK, I dislike "hot takes" as much as the next guy, and what I'm about to post is my actual opinion, not really a "hot take," but I think it will be viewed as such by some readers.

Here it is: When it comes to adjustable razors, Gillette got it right the first time; every iteration thereafter was a worse razor than the one that preceded it.

I have tried all four adjustables that Gillette made. For me, the Toggle is the best of them. Great weight, perfect balance, good range of aggression, superior method of opening/closing (includes the half-way for rinsing, and is closed securely whenever the handle is extended without having to fiddle with the last "quarter-turn," meant for adjusting on the fly without loosening). It's just an almost perfect razor.

Next, the Fatboy. Excellent weight, perfect length, love the girth of the handle, good grip, pretty good range of adjustability, very smooth, very good shaver.

Next, the Slim. Thinner, longer handle just messes with weight distribution and provides no positives, range of adjustability not that much different from Fatboy, thinner head is actually a drawback for shaving under the jawline, doesn't feel as comfortable in the hand or on the face as the Fatboy.

Finally, the SuperAdjustable. The worst of the lot for me; uglier, longer handle, some with plastic underneath the head, no improvement in shaving characteristics to make up for its ugliness.

So, the best is the Toggle, then the Fatboy, then the Slim, then finally the SA. So, as I said earlier, they got it right with the very first offering, and every so-called improvement thereafter was actually a devolution. Sort of like their cartridge razors, lol.
You and I are on the same page, I've tried them all and the Toggle gives me the best results plus it looks cool....

Never tried the toggle, but I agree on the order of the other 3.

I respect the views posted above; however, my take on the order of listing is the polar opposite. :eek2:

I own, use, and love all the Gillette adjustable razors, though I have no experience with the Toggle. I think all the Gillette adjustable razors are outstanding, but my fav is the Super Adjustable SH. The differences regarding comfort and efficiency among the Gillette adjustable razors are miniscule, so tiny to be almost unidentifiable. I do find the aggressiveness of the Slim and the Super Adjustable is SLIGHTLY less than the Fat Boy. I use a setting of 5 on the Fat Boy, and a setting of 6 on the others for equivalent shaves.

Out of the razors that I've used the Fat Boy does rate above the Slim. I have yet to try a black beauty or a toggle however I would not be opposed to sampling for scientific research if someone has one to lend.

I'm joining you here @santamariasteve I'm to am on the opposite end.
I love my FatBoys, Slims (Birth Razor), Toggles and my Bottom-Dial.

My Toggles and my Bottom-dial feel great in hand and deliver very nice shaves but my best shaving Gillette Adjustable is my SA84.

I sold my Fat Boy and kept my Slim and SA. The Slim and SA are almost identical but I find I can grip them better and the head is more agile. The main reason I like the SA more than the Slim is that it looks cool. The Slim definitely had better engineering and manufacturing put into it over the SA.

I have never tried a Toggle, but I agree with the OP

Fatboy > Slim > Super Adjustable 109 (I have never tried the 84, I think I’d like it better)

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Slim is simply a better razor in my view. As for VCRs, VHS was a terrible standard. The Compact Disc would be a better comparison - engineered to stand the test of time.
Oh, I'm not talking viewing standards, formats, any of that. I'm just saying those $1000 Panasonic metal boxes were so overbuilt from the mechanics of what they did. Often times the first new thing is better built than those that come after it. Sometimes refinement and improvement come, but later, cost control wins out.

I can't weigh in on the merits of this particular hot take (I love hot takes in general) but the basic premise resonates. Gillette used to air a commercial that I suppose was to show their long history and it was a rapid sequence of images showing the "evolution" from old to latest and every time I saw it I thought "is it really a good idea to highlight your descent from attractive durable designs to weird plastic landfill?"

I respect the views posted above; however, my take on the order of listing is the polar opposite. :eek2:

I own, use, and love all the Gillette adjustable razors, though I have no experience with the Toggle. I think all the Gillette adjustable razors are outstanding, but my fav is the Super Adjustable SH. The differences regarding comfort and efficiency among the Gillette adjustable razors are miniscule, so tiny to be almost unidentifiable. I do find the aggressiveness of the Slim and the Super Adjustable is SLIGHTLY less than the Fat Boy. I use a setting of 5 on the Fat Boy, and a setting of 6 on the others for equivalent shaves.
I agree with you about how small the differences are. On my face, the Fatboy and the Slim produce virtually identical results. In my hand, the Fatboy feels better. The length, diameter and heft combine to provide a better feel.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Adjustable razors are probably wasted on me.

The best thing I ever did with my Fatboy *(giggle) was auction it off for St. Sue!

To me, I just found the nicest number for my incredibly handsome face and left it there!

BUT! If I ever find a Toggle in the Wild I will snatch it up and give it a try for Science. Then hold on to it until my son looks at it after I have received my Reward and think, " what is this junk? Looks like an old razor my Crazy Old Man used? Probably has Cooties. Landfill pile!"

The best thing I ever did with my Fatboy *(giggle) was auction it off for St. Sue!

To me, I just found the nicest number for my incredibly handsome face and left it there!

BUT! If I ever find a Toggle in the Wild I will snatch it up and give it a try for Science. Then hold on to it until my son looks at it after I have received my Reward and think, " what is this junk? Looks like an old razor my Crazy Old Man used? Probably has Cooties. Landfill pile!"

Just to make sure I understand....It's the Toggle he'd consign to the Landfill pile, right? :lol1:

I've read some reviews on the Gillette Toggle that were not particularly favorable. Part of their mystique may be based on curiosity. I've never used a Toggle or even seen one. My view on the Toggle is neutral. I do wonder, though, if the Gillette Toggle is such a wonderful razor, why was it discontinued after such a short run?

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just to make sure I understand....It's the Toggle he'd consign to the Landfill pile, right? :lol1:
He's my smartest kid!

Okay, full disclosure: he was an only child.

He was so homely I went and got SPAYED. Or was it neutered? I'll have to ask Bob Barker next time I see him.
I've read some reviews on the Gillette Toggle that were not particularly favorable. Part of their mystique may be based on curiosity. I've never used a Toggle or even seen one. My view on the Toggle is neutral. I do wonder, though, if the Gillette Toggle is such a wonderful razor, why was it discontinued after such a short run?
If I dropped the coin that I see Toggles go for on the 'Bay, I can tell you: it would be my favorite razor.

Of course, I'd have to tell my wife that, or I really WOULD find out if she has a frying pan with my name on it!

Top Bottom