What's new

My holy grail of razor plus blade.

OK, holy grail MAY be pushing it but I have found a combination that I really have no intention of changing. It's a super speed blue tip with personna blue blades. I CONSISTENTLY get a bbs shave with no irritation or weepers. I KNOW this combination is not for everyone, it just plain works with my beard type. I truly wish it was my t89lbl as those are easy to get and current production, but it's the blue tip. I get my best shave from the personna blues ver feathers, voskhod's, personna red's, etc. I WOULD like to try a feather razor but don't see that happening for the price. I AM more than happy with the bue tip.

I'm not knocking these and other brands of blades and razors, but just saying these work for me and work very well. I'm not saying this will work for YOU. I'm just saying if you have not found it yet, or are new, IT"S OUT THERE. Just keep looking, it's out there.

Good to know people are finding their blade and razor combo. I'm still looking. Congrats :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hi,

That is grand! I used to use a Blue Tip once in a while. It was my third pass to BBS razor, following a Red Tip and an Early Tech. Eventually the Red Tip gave way to a NEW Short Comb, then a New Long Comb, and finally a Slant. The Blue Tip remained 3rd pass up until the Slant. Then the Slant was two passes to DFS and the Tech 3rd pass if I wanted BBS.

Now I use a Double Slant for two passes to near BBS and the Tech to clean up a couple spots. So, not really a 3rd pass. Call it 2.5 passes. ;)

All the while using Personna Blues or Med Preps, so that has not changed since the mid 1980s. :)

Enjoy!!

Stan

I've never had a Blue Tip but I enjoy mild razors too. Techs are becoming some of my favorites. I imagine the Blue Tip is pretty similar in aggressiveness? If I get a chance to pick up a Blue Tip, I'll try one out. I'm a fan of the Personna Blues too. Nice blades.

Good to hear, is the Blue Tip regarded as mild-medium-aggressive?

It's a mild razor. My keepers are a ej89lbl, early tech, newer tech and a schick Krona. The blue tip is the mildest and the ej the most agressive.

I imagine the Blue Tip is pretty similar in aggressiveness?

The blue tip is milder. The early tech is my second favorite, followed by the later tech. The ej and krona after that. If you like tech's definitely try a blue tip. To me this combo is like getting a bbs with a piece of cardboard or something, extremely smooth.

I am thinking about shaving the ej cap or base plate down to see how that is.

Thanks guys.

I have not tried that combination but the super speed is a great razor. I'm glad you've found the right combo for you.

Congrats on finding a working combination of razor and blade!

I don't want to alarm you but I have discovered the hard way that things change...

For almost four years I used Yellow 7 O'clock Gillettes as my main blade in my vintage Gillettes and my Feather AS-D1. Then suddenly the blade seemed uncomfortable on my skin. Evidently my skin had changed and I had to find new go to blades.

This was no big deal because I could trust my technique. I now have four go to blades just to be on the safe side!

The odd thing is that only the Black Indian Gillettes are considered sharp. I also use Shark SS, Astra SP and Red IP's in my (mild) Aristocrats. Usually you are supposed to use sharp blades in mild razors, but my skin won't allow that or the use of aggressive razors!

Not surprised to hear this combo excels for you. I use my Merkur HD daily, but for a change of pace I'll use my Tech, SS, or Slim and get DFS without irritation in 2 passes with touch ups. Great razors that make me think Gillette had this figured out decades ago!

Makes me want to dig out my Blue Tip & give it a try! My Red Tip with a Astra Platinum blade gives me the best BBS shave so far. Good to see you found your perfect combination!

I don't want to alarm you but I have discovered the hard way that things change...

This was no big deal because I could trust my technique. I now have four go to blades just to be on the safe side!

Heh, not alarmed at all. As someone that has lived in a lot of places I know things can change. For now it's my "holy gail" and I am done looking but they could stop making them or as you say my skin could change. Voshkods, astra's and derby's work well (especially voshkod's) so I have other options, these are not the first brand I have used. The blue tip/personna blue combo though is pure comfort.

My skin also does not allow very sharp blades like feathers, I don't think any formula fits everyone (like sharp blades in mild razors). In fact some consider derby to be too dull, but they work really well for me in mild razors. A smooth, no irritation shave.

I have not tried that combination but the super speed is a great razor. I'm glad you've found the right combo for you.

Great combo for me, I have used this combo for a while before saying anything. It seems to be consistent so I am ecstatic. It may be silly, but I can't keep from touching my face and it's every day. Thanks.

Not surprised to hear this combo excels for you. I use my Merkur HD daily, but for a change of pace I'll use my Tech, SS, or Slim and get DFS without irritation in 2 passes with touch ups. Great razors that make me think Gillette had this figured out decades ago!

Thanks and I agree with you on the old razors. I have a couple of tech's, but I think I only need another blue tip or 2 as backup (one of my obsessions is having multiple of what I like) and leave it at that.

Makes me want to dig out my Blue Tip & give it a try! My Red Tip with a Astra Platinum blade gives me the best BBS shave so far. Good to see you found your perfect combination!

Thanks. It feels kind of like hitting the lottery (ok, for at least a small amount). I owe it to a member that pif'ed me a bunch of blades (including blue personna's) with a number of brands to try.

Top Bottom