What's new

My Story

Hello, I decided to write my story about how I got on the path of classic shaving. I have very sparse stubble and sensitive skin, for this reason I always got irritation from the cartridge razor, the electric razor left a black and red face. I even thought about removing facial stubble with a laser, but my father advised me to pay attention to DE razor. My first razor was the RazoRock DE1, followed by Feather Popular, Edwin Jagger DE89 and Muhle R41. But they are large enough for my face and my hand. Also, modern razors are heavy enough for me to cause razor burn. However, I was intrigued as the DE razor has 1 blade and is not as traumatic to the skin as a 3-5 blade cassette. In general, I accidentally saw a vintage Gillette Old Type for sale in the city of Kyiv at a price of $ 8 and bought it for the sake of interest. Since then, I have been collecting vintage razors. They are lightweight, small, have enough aggression not to make many passes and have a low weight that does not cause razor burn.

P.S. My English is not good enough, so I picked up some words in a translator from Google.
In the photo is my very first Old Type.

IMG_20190915_112920.jpg

You did a very good job, telling us your journey into wet shaving! And, as to your English it is better than some of the people I know, I had no trouble reading it. I think you will find that the performance with carts and electrics is what led us to wet shaving!!! Thank you for sharing your story!!! Have a great day!!!

Tom

At some point you may want to try a Henson. It’s lightweight and mild, but efficient. When I first joined here I was given that same advice and I just recently bought a V2 mild from the BST here. All I can say is that everything everyone says about it is true. It’s shaving on autopilot - the angle is fixed and similar to a cartridge, but without the irritation of multiple blades. I’m honestly glad I didn’t get it first because I probably would’ve just stopped there and I love all the other razors I own (R89, KCG, Era, Slim and super adjustables). The Henson isn’t my favorite, but I will always keep it in the rotation. It’s just really, really good at what it does and it sounds like it might fit you.

I would like someone to tell their story in this thread.

Congrats on finding a system that works for you! My story is probably like most others here. After well over 40 yrs of using cartridge razors, one day on a whim I bought a cheap twist to open DE razor at the local dollar store. It also came with 5 blades. I went home and shaved with it. The results were not good. :eek2: Lots of bloodletting.

So, after that I decided to maybe upgrade to a better razor and happened to see a Wilkinson Sword TTO razor at a local pharmacy for $25 with a pack of 5 blades. I also watched some YouTube videos on how to properly shave with a DE razor. My shave with the Wilkinson razor was much better so I bought a vintage Tech off of eBay and found I like 3-piece razors and used it to practice my technique for a month solid. Now after almost 2 years I am committed to shaving with my safety razors and a nice shave soap or cream. I now have a collection of vintage and modern razors which I use regularly. Oh... and I still use that original dollar store razor from time to time. ;)

Top Bottom