What's new

My Heirloom Shaving Gear.

Hi everyone,

My dad used to be huge into razors and amassed a small collection of razors. He got me into traditional shaving and it was something we bonded over for many years (now I wear a beard so they only get a small amount of skin 2x a week). He used to lurk here all the time and occasionally would post (sorry, no idea his username) and so I figured I'd come here and ask for a bit of help. I've made the hard decision, after almost three years of sitting on it, to liquidate most of the stuff and just stick to my trusted few razors.

So I have a few questions:

I have several brush:

PXL_20210426_234859869.jpg

Is there any resale market for these or should I just pitch them? Far right has no markings on it that I could see.

I also have a big bin with what must be hundreds or thousands of razor blades. All kinds, single edge, double edge, injector, tons of brands, some open boxes, some low quality CVS ones, some NOS. I can try and post a picture or a weight if you think it's helpful, but I have no idea how to try and sell this (ebay was my initial thought) but I'd rather not go through and try to sell each thing individually.

Finally, I have a few razors I was not able to identify. If you could help me out I'd really appreciate it. There are a ton of pics so I've posted them in an imgur gallery:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Sorry, I can't help with identification. But please don't "pitch" anything. You can always PIF anything (pay it forward, or essentially give it away even if the recipients pay for the shipping).

Hard to be certain, but the brush on the right in the first picture looks like it's from a Van Der Hagen BASICS Shave set.

The first 3 brushes - Omega boar, Vie-Long boar, & Rubberset 200 with a bakelite handle. As far as values go, check ebay for completed purchases, B&B doesn't allow appraisals. If you decide to list them on the BST, there are guidelines for posting ads, check the guidelines:

BST Guidelines

And finally, you might want to think about keeping the items, they don't take up a lot of space. If they were your dad's, they may have sentimental value to you in a few years.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Looks like that a Surrey brush on the right. Budget.

Razors starting on the left look like a Dehaven or Enders, unknown, gillette postwar Tech, gillette 40s style Supespeed, gillette fatboy, Gem featherweight, Gem G bar, and the straights usually identify themselves.

Per forum rules, we don't do valuations. But you can see what things sell for on "that auction site" to get a better idea of selling points.

Personally, I'd keep the Fatboy and the Supespeed and use them. May you think of your father fondly when you do.

Best

Thanks everyone for your replies! To cover the basics:

Not looking for valuations on anything, but just trying to figure if some of this stuff is worth trying to even sell. Seems like some of it is, and some of it isn't. Evilbay prices on some of the names mentioned here are roughly in line with what I'd expect. Not expecting to retire on a few old razors. I deeply appreciate the help identifying these (there are a bunch more which I was able to ID).

I thought about keeping some stuff, but I really have too much stuff lying around and I'd like to sell it so somebody gets some use out of these! I'm keeping his favorite razor, a Micromatic open comb, and a few other items (favorite boar brush).

I didn't even consider selling here, because "you must be a member for 45 days with 50 quality posts" is probably a bridge too far. I do think that the razor blades would sell best here, but... I would consider donating some of the stuff that isn't worth selling, though!

That's got to be hard going through all of his things. Hang in there & good luck. If you decide you want to donate the blades, there is a thread on B & B called The Great Blade Exchange. It has been around for many years & just started back up today. If you want to donate the blades they would be added to the inventory & would be available for others to try. Here's a link to the thread, read through it if it interests you. You can send me a Private Message if you have any questions.

The Great Blade Exchange Wiki Page

None of those brushes are high end brushes. The left one is an Omega boar and has the adoration of some readers here. Next is a Vie Long. Vie Long is known for using horse hair for the knot. They make brushes with other materials too, but they are best known for horse and are generally considered as the best of the horse brushes. Next is a Rubber-Set. They are a older or heritage brush. It looks like a boar that was died to make it resemble badger. Last is a Surrey or Van Der Hagen (Van Der Hagen bought Surrey). IIRC the last Surrey brushes were blue and the Van Der Hagens were green or White. All of them appear to be in reasonable shape. In my opinion the least desirable is the Surrey and the most desirable is the Rubber-Set.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks everyone for your replies! To cover the basics:

Not looking for valuations on anything, but just trying to figure if some of this stuff is worth trying to even sell. Seems like some of it is, and some of it isn't. Evilbay prices on some of the names mentioned here are roughly in line with what I'd expect. Not expecting to retire on a few old razors. I deeply appreciate the help identifying these (there are a bunch more which I was able to ID).

I thought about keeping some stuff, but I really have too much stuff lying around and I'd like to sell it so somebody gets some use out of these! I'm keeping his favorite razor, a Micromatic open comb, and a few other items (favorite boar brush).

I didn't even consider selling here, because "you must be a member for 45 days with 50 quality posts" is probably a bridge too far. I do think that the razor blades would sell best here, but... I would consider donating some of the stuff that isn't worth selling, though!
Do NOT let "50 quality posts" hold you up. I have been here five years and one day and I have just over 50 quality posts, per @KeenDogg.

In 45 days you will have 50 posts if you just post once a day. You can ALWAYS find something like quality about just about ANYTHING I post! Trust me on this one!

I think all "unquality" posts almost stopped after we got the "thumb up" icon thingy.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice heirloom shaving gear. I like using my heirloom razors from time to time. Brings back fond memories of the person who used to own them. Use them and enjoy them.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Folks restore old brushes like that rubberset. Not sure about any value but donating or pif is a great option but also time consuming. Especially if you have a lot of stuff and a lot to go through sorry for your loss. Good luck and happy shaves.

Do NOT let "50 quality posts" hold you up. I have been here five years and one day and I have just over 50 quality posts, per @KeenDogg.

In 45 days you will have 50 posts if you just post once a day. You can ALWAYS find something like quality about just about ANYTHING I post! Trust me on this one!

I think all "unquality" posts almost stopped after we got the "thumb up" icon thingy.

Honestly my issue is more the time. I just took it out of storage and it's all over the living room. Need to keep the family happy! I think I'm gonna make a first pass, uh, elsewhere, and then whatever's left, sell on BST. I do think that the blades I will do on BST. Those I should have room to store!

Folks restore old brushes like that rubberset. Not sure about any value but donating or pif is a great option but also time consuming. Especially if you have a lot of stuff and a lot to go through sorry for your loss. Good luck and happy shaves.

Good to know! I think I'm going to give it a try but set expectations low except for maybe the Rubberset.

Its nice to have some of your Dad’s favorite items to remember him by when you shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom