What's new

My Head is Toast!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Smooth, smooth, buttery toast. :001_tongu

In my continuing journey I have moved through regular DE and one of the several types of slants. This morning I stepped outside that fence and into the world of SE with a 1912 Gem that cost me all of $2.50. Part of a lot, actually -- two Gems and a Little Lather Catcher for $7.50 all in. For a $2.50 razor, I'm seriously impressed. :001_302: Heck, for a razor costing a lot more than that, I'm seriously impressed.

Oh, usual first shave bother: finding the angles, working those trouble spots, going slow, etc. But at least so far, WAY less irritation than "normal." I used the Personna PTFE blade, which is as reported elsewhere. I'll use the other side of it next time.

Lathered up with Proraso Green and gently lined everything up. SSSKKKKKRRRRRIIITTTCCCHHH..."Can you hear me now?" Heh. I was amazed at the honkin' big chunks of hair that came off the blade from a 3-day stubble. One knock-down pass WTG, then some rather gingerly XTG and finally cleanup on stubborn areas X/ATG.

Milder than I expected, also took me longer to get done but I expected that. I had shimmed the back of the blade with half a spine. I'll leave the shim out next day and see what happens.

I'm not in love with the short little handle, but it's not bad. Once my order from Fastenal gets in this week I'll have the thread insert I need to finish a turned oak handle with a copper ferrule. Just seems to me a razor like that needs a wood handle, and the LLC even more so.

So that's gonna be my context for the next month of shaves. Lookin' forward to the learning journey!

Cheers,

O.H.

Top Bottom