What's new

My happy return to wet shaving

Hello everyone,

I wanted to first of all thank this community for teaching me and guiding me in how to shave properly many years ago. I had inherited a silvertip shaving brush from my father, and I can still remember using it to lather Noxema red can foam on my face before using a Mach 3. I then discovered Badger and Blade, and learnt all about shaving soaps, creams and single blade razors.

A few years ago I developed a sensitivity on my facial skin, and found that using traditional creams and soaps with a brush seemed to irritate my skin very easily. I decided to stop using them and switched to shaving once or twice a week at most with a foam and twin blade cartridge. This seemed to be the least irritating way to shave for my skin. I had loved using my old SuperSpeed razors, and had tested almost every blade I could find. Unfortunately my skin seemed to be having trouble with DE shaving, even though I felt by then that I had a very solid technique. I tried the newest Gillette 5 blade cartridges, which I hated. I found them very irritating and aggressive. The Mach 3 was better but also a bit more irritating than I would like. I finally settled on a Sensor Excel twin blade cartridge, and this was the best solution I had found.

Having shaved like this for at least a couple of years, I thought my days of proper wet shaving were behind me. That was until I was sorting through some boxes and found my silver tip brush and stand. I put it out for display, and after a few days I suddenly felt a strong urge to see if I could use it again. I hoped that maybe my skin would be better by now, and would be able to handle traditional lather. So I went online and ordered a tube of an old favourite, Proraso green. It arrived two days ago. With great anticipation I walked into my bathroom yesterday. Opening the tube brought back the familiar eucalyptus/menthol smell. I began to lather my face and got a beautiful and rich lather right away. I have recently switched to a Gillette Skinguard cartridge, which I must admit has been my favourite cartridge by far since I have begun using it.

Anyway, I proceeded to have my best shave in at least two years! The razor glided through the cream effortlessly, and I got such an incredible irritation free and close shave I almost couldn't believe it. After splashing cold water and enjoying the lovely cooling effect of the Proraso, my skin looked the healthiest and cleanest I could remember.

I am genuinely elated to be able to use a brush and really good quality shaving cream again. I shaved again this morning, and the same fantastic result, and I could swear my skin looks healthier compared to when I use the foam and cartridge. Based purely on this experience, and thinking of all of my shaves with foam (which were fine, but nothing more), I can genuinely say that using a brush and proper lather makes an enormous difference. I am very happy to be back in the wet shaving fold!

Hello everyone,

I wanted to first of all thank this community for teaching me and guiding me in how to shave properly many years ago. I had inherited a silvertip shaving brush from my father, and I can still remember using it to lather Noxema red can foam on my face before using a Mach 3. I then discovered Badger and Blade, and learnt all about shaving soaps, creams and single blade razors.

A few years ago I developed a sensitivity on my facial skin, and found that using traditional creams and soaps with a brush seemed to irritate my skin very easily. I decided to stop using them and switched to shaving once or twice a week at most with a foam and twin blade cartridge. This seemed to be the least irritating way to shave for my skin. I had loved using my old SuperSpeed razors, and had tested almost every blade I could find. Unfortunately my skin seemed to be having trouble with DE shaving, even though I felt by then that I had a very solid technique. I tried the newest Gillette 5 blade cartridges, which I hated. I found them very irritating and aggressive. The Mach 3 was better but also a bit more irritating than I would like. I finally settled on a Sensor Excel twin blade cartridge, and this was the best solution I had found.

Having shaved like this for at least a couple of years, I thought my days of proper wet shaving were behind me. That was until I was sorting through some boxes and found my silver tip brush and stand. I put it out for display, and after a few days I suddenly felt a strong urge to see if I could use it again. I hoped that maybe my skin would be better by now, and would be able to handle traditional lather. So I went online and ordered a tube of an old favourite, Proraso green. It arrived two days ago. With great anticipation I walked into my bathroom yesterday. Opening the tube brought back the familiar eucalyptus/menthol smell. I began to lather my face and got a beautiful and rich lather right away. I have recently switched to a Gillette Skinguard cartridge, which I must admit has been my favourite cartridge by far since I have begun using it.

Anyway, I proceeded to have my best shave in at least two years! The razor glided through the cream effortlessly, and I got such an incredible irritation free and close shave I almost couldn't believe it. After splashing cold water and enjoying the lovely cooling effect of the Proraso, my skin looked the healthiest and cleanest I could remember.

I am genuinely elated to be able to use a brush and really good quality shaving cream again. I shaved again this morning, and the same fantastic result, and I could swear my skin looks healthier compared to when I use the foam and cartridge. Based purely on this experience, and thinking of all of my shaves with foam (which were fine, but nothing more), I can genuinely say that using a brush and proper lather makes an enormous difference. I am very happy to be back in the wet shaving fold!

Just a thought, if the irritation returns you might be sensitive to the badger hair. There are several very good synthetic brushes to be had under $30. Also some people seem sensitive to different coatings on different blades so try using blades with different coatings. Welcome Back!

Welcome back! Similar boat as you, except I had a beard for a few years. Covid brought n-95 respirators and the requirement that they fit properly so it had to go. I forgot much I enjoyed this hobby of ours.

Given your sensitive skin, you might want to consider Proraso white, which is supposed to be formulated for sensitive skin. It doesn't smell like Proraso green, but it does have a bit of the same cooling effect.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Let me be the first to say.... Welcome Back. LOL certainly not the first. I like the SkinGuard, very good shaves. Not as close as I'd like, but always zero irritation.

Top Bottom