What's new

My hair smells...there I said it

I'm seeking advice for hair that smells like sulfur when wet. I started noticing this a few months ago and chalked it up to an untidy shower. However, process of elimination has ruled me as the culprit. I typically shampoo daily with whatever the wife has in the shower (Dove, Pantene, etc.) I don't notice the smell until my hair is wet, but thereafter the entire bathroom reeks for a couple of hours. I've tried the "no poo" option but I have short/fairly oily hair and it just doesn't look right. When my hair is dry it doesn't smell (wife confirmed.) Anyone else experienced this and successfully overcame it?

Perhaps the sacrificial anode rod in your water heater tank is due for replacement. That will do this to the water...impart a foul rotten egg/sulfur smell.

Beat me to it.
Thanks! Love TOH! Was thinking I was on to something with the anode rod until Richard said it shouldn't occur with municipal water. Maybe it is me. I am going to change shampoo. Just read some good reviews of Kirk's on another thread. Just went to my local grocer and found some. I'll give it a try and keep you good folks updated. I appreciate the responses!

I would still check the anode rod. I'm an electrician for a Plumbing, HVAC, and Electrical shop. Our plumbers change those out all the time, in town and on a municipal water supply.

Do you live with anyone else? Does the smell occur when they shower?
I thought you mentioned a wife but didn't see it when I re-read.

Does her hair smell like it when wet? If it were a plumbing problem she'd be equally affected. Likely more assuming her hair is longer than yours.

That would be fungus. Get some anti-fungal/anti-bacterial soap. Don't mess around with natural organic bla bla, get the nukelar stuff.

Do you live with anyone else? Does the smell occur when they shower?
I thought you mentioned a wife but didn't see it when I re-read.

Does her hair smell like it when wet? If it were a plumbing problem she'd be equally affected. Likely more assuming her hair is longer than yours.

Thanks to you all. No, don't smell it with my kids and don't recall smelling it after the wife showers. Was reading some Google results and considered a fungus as well. Someone said it may come from having thick hair that is not dried. I haven't been blow drying my hair as I get up at dark-thirty and don't want to wake up the house. I may give Neutrogena T-gel a try as well.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
That would be fungus. Get some anti-fungal/anti-bacterial soap. Don't mess around with natural organic bla bla, get the nukelar stuff.
The real big gun for hair and scalp fungus, as well as seborrheic dermatitis, is ketoconazol. It's available without a prescription as Nizoral shampoo.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The real big gun for hair and scalp fungus, as well as seborrheic dermatitis, is ketoconazol. It's available without a prescription as Nizoral shampoo.
I'm a Cosmetologist and an RN. This is good advice. Also @RUN DM73 : the store brands are good to go. Kirks is good too, after you beat back the funk smell. And remember, everyone, switch up your shampoos every so often. The scalp gets used to the same one all the time. And if you have especially thick, oily hair, wash it twice. If you use product to style it, don't use creme rinse after the shampoo, use vinegar. Hope this helps, Dave: the self imagined hair doctor!

I'm a Cosmetologist and an RN. This is good advice. Also @RUN DM73 : the store brands are good to go. Kirks is good too, after you beat back the funk smell. And remember, everyone, switch up your shampoos every so often. The scalp gets used to the same one all the time. And if you have especially thick, oily hair, wash it twice. If you use product to style it, don't use creme rinse after the shampoo, use vinegar. Hope this helps, Dave: the self imagined hair doctor!
I really appreciate all of the good advice. I've been using Head and Shoulders for about a week now with really positive results. The smell has gone away and I didn't realize how much my head was itching before. I'll make sure I switch it up every so often. Again, you folks are great! Thank you.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I really appreciate all of the good advice. I've been using Head and Shoulders for about a week now with really positive results. The smell has gone away and I didn't realize how much my head was itching before. I'll make sure I switch it up every so often. Again, you folks are great! Thank you.
You are gracious. Sounds like you are on the right track!

Top Bottom