What's new

My Guess... 3017

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but AoS tallow is one excellent soap. I still prefer Haslinger (tallow) performance, but the gap is narrowing.

I’ve been using a Brad Sears 26mm flat top and it’s been generating luxuriously dense lathers on relatively short load times. A special soap indeed.

Williams takes a huge amount of water to get really slick. If it feels sticky after the shave, your lather is too dry.

I'm grinding my way through a puck of Col. Conk Amber that looks as though it will see the year out. I use something else once in a while, but I want to use this stuff up. It's OK, a bit difficult to get the water right (narrow window between sticky and runny) and it leaves my face just a little tight in winter weather. I like my own soaps much better, even the not so great castor oil containing ones.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the D.R.H. I'm considering picking up a stick at the resupply to use for travel. Thinking that the container will be good for future trips once I finish the soap itself.

What scent will you try?

I am still joyfully plugging away with daily shaves from my P.160 Tipo Morbido since May.15.2017. :001_wub:

What a trooper!

View attachment 924798

First shave with AOS tallow Sandalwood tomorrow. I may have taken one shave with it when I first received the puck in a trade. Should last 2.5 months. The scent is strong and nice, though Sandalwood is not my first choice of scent. I prefer citrus and marine notes. Looking forward to this puck!

I’m joining you guys @Atalk @snowman and @FL shaver with some AoS tallow, sandalwood for me.

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but AoS tallow is one excellent soap. I still prefer Haslinger (tallow) performance, but the gap is narrowing.

I’ve been using a Brad Sears 26mm flat top and it’s been generating luxuriously dense lathers on relatively short load times. A special soap indeed.

I'm 35 shaves into a puck of AoSt sandalwood. It's my reference soap and I needed a reset after box 4 of the sample passaround with @dfoulk. I never heave a bad shave with AoSt!

While I'm here, I'll update my 3017. Finished a tube of Nivea cream and puck of Luxury scent. Neither will be replaced. In fact, I have a backup of each one that will likely be passed along. I might go straight through with the Aost. As mentioned, the sandalwood certainly fits the weather.

Finished Speick. Now officially out of soaps ... sort of. Next up is this frankensoap made of stick ends and puck dregs from several years of soap use.
IMG_0911.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW. Scent seemed a little medicinal toward the end. I didn’t have this experience with previous stick or cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Williams takes a huge amount of water to get really slick. If it feels sticky after the shave, your lather is too dry.
I find modern Williams too finicky to enjoy. Its not rocket science, and it shouldn't be. To me it's not worth the hassle. I do have a few pucks of vintage Williams on the way from fleabay, hopefully it'll be better.

I found Williams very easy to use: don't rinse your brush, just leave it on the puck in a mug. Next day, wet it, whip up lather, drop it back in, repeat. Fast, easy, wet lather the same every day and a puck lasted me five months and a bit.

The AOS tallow is loading even quicker now. Dense lather. Love it! The scent is growing on me, too. Much better skin feel post shave than with C&E Nomad. The logo is already gone, leading me to believe it’ll be gone much quicker than the C&E. Expecting 2 1/2 months. I still have 2 or 3 lemon pucks in reserve.

The AOS tallow is loading even quicker now. Dense lather. Love it! The scent is growing on me, too. Much better skin feel post shave than with C&E Nomad. The logo is already gone, leading me to believe it’ll be gone much quicker than the C&E. Expecting 2 1/2 months. I still have 2 or 3 lemon pucks in reserve.

I’ve been leaving the lid on rather than letting the puck dry between shaves and my loading times have decreased significantly. The lathers have been picture perfect. Dense, slick, protective. This soap holds water well.

Same here. I have it in a Body Shop tin and the lid goes on immediately after loading. I also wet the top of the puck before heading to the shower, but do not soak it. That would lead to excessive loading, I think. Works great with boar or badger to produce that great lather almost immediately.

I fell off the 3017 train but decided to get back on. I started on April 1 this with a bowl full of 3 sticks of Arko and a partial puck of Van Der Hagen mashed into the bowl. I almost finished it then got board and started rotating my other soaps . I decided I want to get back on the train so that I can achieve my goal of being a Minimalist.
1st up is my partial bowl of Arko.

Attachments

• C96F4D69-09D4-4372-8D69-939EADEC2B1F.jpeg
    C96F4D69-09D4-4372-8D69-939EADEC2B1F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Three sticks of Arko are going to last for a long, long time -- I'm estimating 300 shaves per stick myself used as a shave stick....

I have a strange desire to buy a 12 pack of Arko sticks, mash them in a big bowl, and 3017 it. Then I get back to reality....lol.

Such a shame, such a shame.....

I have no idea if the timing lines up but I wonder if their acquisition by P&G was a big driver behind it. Standard-issue "Reformulate (hoping) to get the same performance but at a significant reduced manufacturing cost".

I'm sure it is since it was volabra making the soap for AoS. I doubt Volabra would look kindly on P&G stealing their formula.

On other fronts, I'll load up my penultimate sample this weekend in my 3.5 year adventure of killing samples. Couple of more weeks! Not sure what will be my first full size product when it's over. I'm tempted to join you guys on the OG AoS sandalwood train.

I'm sure it is since it was volabra making the soap for AoS. I doubt Volabra would look kindly on P&G stealing their formula.

On other fronts, I'll load up my penultimate sample this weekend in my 3.5 year adventure of killing samples. Couple of more weeks! Not sure what will be my first full size product when it's over. I'm tempted to join you guys on the OG AoS sandalwood train.
My God man how many samples did have?

Top Bottom