What's new

My Guess... 3017

[MENTION=58407]Jarick[/MENTION] I was contemplating that for 2016, but since I knew SWMBO and I were moving this fall, I decided in January that using up more soap would be beneficial as creams are easier to pack away. I have a ton of Indian creams, gifted to me from a couple of colleagues in our Indian affiliate, and am seriously considering making 2017 the year of creams.

If I ever manage to finish my puck of DR Harris Marlborough.......

My puck lasted a good 7 months. It was a good soap, excellent value and most likely would replace- in many,many years when I need to.

started C&S no 88 on August 1- looking forward to many excellent shaves.

The iced pineapple is nice. I think next summer I'll grate up a full puck of the iced pineapple and a puck of haslinger or Mike's coconut. That would be a great summer of shaves!

That's a great idea. The pineapple and coconut would smell wonderful together. However, if you go with Haslinger I would recommend a sample of Iced Pineapple instead of a full puck. My sample of Stirling was 30g, half the size of a full puck of Haslinger.

Still using the Haslinger Honig puck I started on 6/14. I lost of track of the number of shaves because of all the traveling I've been doing this Summer. The puck stays home when I travel.

I rarely employ the marco method when lathering Haslinger, but I've been playing around with it the past week using a 26mm synthetic. Haslinger is very tolerant of water so the marco method works extremely well. Hand a newb a puck of Haslinger, an inexpensive synthetic brush, and instructions for the marco method and they would have world class lathers in no time.

I must admit though, using the marco method with a 26mm syn is going through an unruly amount of soap. Over the past week I think I have gone through 3 weeks worth of product. So I am going back to the dry-brush approach I normally use with Haslinger.

Still using the Haslinger Honig puck I started on 6/14. I lost of track of the number of shaves because of all the traveling I've been doing this Summer. The puck stays home when I travel.

I rarely employ the marco method when lathering Haslinger, but I've been playing around with it the past week using a 26mm synthetic. Haslinger is very tolerant of water so the marco method works extremely well. Hand a newb a puck of Haslinger, an inexpensive synthetic brush, and instructions for the marco method and they would have world class lathers in no time.

I must admit though, using the marco method with a 26mm syn is going through an unruly amount of soap. Over the past week I think I have gone through 3 weeks worth of product. So I am going back to the dry-brush approach I normally use with Haslinger.

This is exactly what I just experienced with a sample of Sterling - as I burned through the thing 2x as fast as I anticipated while using the Marco method.

I'm also working on a puck of Haslinger. I'm going to weigh my puck and employee each method to compare the usage rates of each method. I'll report back my results when complete.

I burned through a Stirling sample in 4 days. Lather was that tough.
Never again :)
I think I burned through almost a full tub that Rod gave me to try. When it worked, it was amazing. But I couldn't get consistent lathers from it, no matter what I did. Ben Franklin did smell pretty good though.

Granted, this was from a couple years ago and I'm guessing the formula has changed a few times since then.

@Jarick I was contemplating that for 2016, but since I knew SWMBO and I were moving this fall, I decided in January that using up more soap would be beneficial as creams are easier to pack away. I have a ton of Indian creams, gifted to me from a couple of colleagues in our Indian affiliate, and am seriously considering making 2017 the year of creams.

Yeah I'm in the same boat, less the Indian creams! I have close to three months left on my C&E Lime puck, then I have La Toja, Tabac, Irisch Moos, Haslinger, Palmolive, and 2.5 pucks of AOS tallow sandalwood. And that's ignoring some partial cream tubes and a few other odds and ends.

All told, I think I've got enough product to get through 2016, but I don't necessarily want to plow through 2.5 pucks of AOS tallow sandalwood and a full stick of Irisch Moos. So I will have to make some purchases. I still want to have at least one large tub of cream to 3017 next year.

Also, I decided to try the Marco method making a lather with both Arko and C&E last night. Arko worked just fine but C&E was a complete foamy disaster. This puck is not very forgiving of lathering techniques.

Tim's Soap Roots is no more! About 2 months, 53 shaves 2.25g per use. It was a good soap and I liked the scent/performance but rather than having me do a lot of hand wringing on a rating I’ll just say its discontinued so no need to dwell on it. Ok, I’ll rate it someday, just need use a few more soaps to rank it against, I have changed a lot about how I lather in the last 2 months by sticking with one soap.

Since I am going camping this weekend I will take a few days to use some AoS tallow and start my new project Sunday, Chiseled Face Summer Storm, along with a new (to me) brush generously PIF’ed to me by DrColossus11 – thanks Jay!

$IMG_2209.JPG

Progress so far:

Soap Start-Finish Shaves
Provence Sante ? ?
MW Bay Rum (partial) 5/18/2016-5/28/2016 10
Tim’s soap Roots 5/29/2016-8/2/2016 53
CF Summer Storm 8/7/2016-

Last edited:
I burned through a Stirling sample in 4 days. Lather was that tough.

Would you mind explaining your comment? Are you saying that it was hard to lather?

I think I burned through almost a full tub that Rod gave me to try. When it worked, it was amazing. But I couldn't get consistent lathers from it, no matter what I did. Ben Franklin did smell pretty good though.

Granted, this was from a couple years ago and I'm guessing the formula has changed a few times since then.

Maybe this explains it. I have a recent purchase of pucks/samples and get good shaves whether at home with my hard water or on the road. However, I have noted that the slickness of my lathers isn't as good as what I've read in reviews.

Would you mind explaining your comment? Are you saying that it was hard to lather?
Yes, it took me a ton of loading to get reasonable lather out of it. I tried dry, I tried wet and eventually went for longevity in loading. Upon reaching a usable lather it dried out my face and smelled awful.
Apart from that, it was great ;)

Yes, it took me a ton of loading to get reasonable lather out of it. I tried dry, I tried wet and eventually went for longevity in loading. Upon reaching a usable lather it dried out my face and smelled awful.
Apart from that, it was great ;)
Sounds awesome :w00t:

Broke through the bottom of my CRSW Jardin d'Orange this morning. Probably two weeks to go. I really like the CRSW soap base; I've gotten nothing but great shaves out of this puck so far and the face feel past shave is outstanding. The scent is light and smells just like the orange groves I've visited in California. I'll order this one again - if ever I use up the current stash.

Top Bottom