What's new

My Guess... 3017

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I’m sure I asked a similar question in the past, but did you finish that original stash of soap? If so, did you buy another pile of soaps or just one or two at a time now?

I did and you can read about right here:

Now, after finishing this tub of Bay Rum today, I have two tubs of shaving soap (the Fine Barber Blue and Fine American Blend). I also have a tub of Fine Platinum (the hard soap) and a tube of Proraso and a tube of Speick.

And that’s it! 😀

Last edited:
Before I moved to Florida I did an inventory of the soaps that I have. The current count is 3 AOS tallow soaps, 5 tallow version Tabac soaps, 12 tallow versions of Haslinger soaps, 6 D.R. Harris soaps, 2 Italian Barber soaps, a remaining wedge of Cella, a Natchez soap (I have no idea how I got that one), 1 tub of Monsovan, 3 assorted shave sticks, 2 vintage Williams, 10 modern Williams soaps, and one MdC soap that I am currently using. Since I am 81 years old, I think my sons and grandsons will inherit quite a collection!

Pulled out one of my rarest brushes today.

Red Box, block letter Rooney ST2 Super.

This is actual lather pics, how like mine, no staging or extra loading etc.

After loading:
PXL_20230330_215402926.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230330_215411520.PORTRAIT.jpg

After first pass:
PXL_20230330_215541702.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230330_215548272.PORTRAIT.jpg

After rinse, dry:
PXL_20230330_220407989.PORTRAIT.jpg

Hmm based on that brush picture I wonder if I have been accidentally 3017ing my poor brush while I was working on the never ending brick of Vitos...
PXL_20230331_012239621.jpg

It is not nearly as round and fluffy as the similar brush online... I started the brick in February 2019 and have been and have only missed a couple morning shaves due to travel snafu or datelines making my day go poof. This brush has been used for well over 90 percent of the shaves since I don't always take it with me when I travel.

I'm still plodding away with the Ach Brito Mogno. 55 shaves in and almost to the estimated halfway point. I keep the bar in a Fine lather bowl so the scent has pretty much dissipated. I'm thinking of finding a local potter to make a lid for the bowl.
Anyway, the shaves are great, this is a great budget soap.
I've been using solely synthetic brushes for a few years now but am starting to revisit boar. I have the Omega 49, 98 (which are the same knot) and a smaller behive handle that has a short loft and is much scrubbier than the others. Yesterday I ordered a Semogue 1250. Haven't tried any Semogue brush yet but I see they get a lot of love here.

Today was a milestone shave on 3017ing of my never ending brick of Vitos. Today was shave 1500!

April Fools! :001_tt2:

Today was actually only shave number 1498. According to my spreadsheet for this chunk I seem to be using 0.45g per shave and if that remains the same I hope to finish in December. If this block acts like the previous chunks then I expect the usage to drop off a bit as a get to the bottom of the container so it might not get done until 2024.

On deck :laugh: is a puck of Tabac that @johnniegold generously sent me. I am beginning to worry a bit as apparently this soap has a reputation of being a bit ... uh long lasting. I think I will let my trusty Simpson 55 take some well deserved time off and choose a different brush to take up the challenge of lathering a whole puck of Tabac. 🤔

Ruckin

I'm still plodding away with the Ach Brito Mogno. 55 shaves in and almost to the estimated halfway point. I keep the bar in a Fine lather bowl so the scent has pretty much dissipated. I'm thinking of finding a local potter to make a lid for the bowl.
Anyway, the shaves are great, this is a great budget soap....
It was hard to not purchase this one when I was in Porto a couple months ago.

Hmm based on that brush picture I wonder if I have been accidentally 3017ing my poor brush while I was working on the never ending brick of Vitos...
View attachment 1629726

It is not nearly as round and fluffy as the similar brush online... I started the brick in February 2019 and have been and have only missed a couple morning shaves due to travel snafu or datelines making my day go poof. This brush has been used for well over 90 percent of the shaves since I don't always take it with me when I travel.
I think your best badger has been worn down to a pure badger. 😄 Does Simpson have a lifetime warranty?

I did and you can read about right here:

Now, after finishing this tub of Bay Rum today, I have two tubs of shaving soap (the Fine Barber Blue and Fine American Blend). I also have a tub of Fine Platinum (the hard soap) and a tube of Proraso and a tube of Speick.

And that’s it! 😀
And so it begins….again

Top Bottom