What's new

My Guess... 3017

I've been using Ach Brito Mogno, I have 13 shaves on it. Nice budget soap, very pleasant scent. It reminds me of Mike's Natural Soaps Barbershop, at maybe 30% strength. Going back for a second sniff, it has a very "clean" scent, reminding me of the Palmolive or Wilkinson stick scents.
I started using it with my synthetic brushes, tips barely dipped in water to make paste, then finished with face lathering. Experimentation led me to more water at the beginning, then face lathering as usual, adding water with the brush tips barely dipped, and now I've found my sweet spot with this soap, using even more water during face lathering. I like when my lather is almost runny, very slick and hydrated.
It's a very nice soap, slick and protective. The only drawback is that it is shaped like a traditional bar of bath soap. I wet one side and stuck it to the bottom of my soap dish and it had stuck so far. I can see a slight dishing in the middle of the bar, so as it gets used I may have to adjust how I use my brush on it, or end up grating it.

Attachments

• 16754580972171395440794521492747.jpg
    16754580972171395440794521492747.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 9
I've been using Ach Brito Mogno, I have 13 shaves on it. Nice budget soap, very pleasant scent. It reminds me of Mike's Natural Soaps Barbershop, at maybe 30% strength. Going back for a second sniff, it has a very "clean" scent, reminding me of the Palmolive or Wilkinson stick scents.
I started using it with my synthetic brushes, tips barely dipped in water to make paste, then finished with face lathering. Experimentation led me to more water at the beginning, then face lathering as usual, adding water with the brush tips barely dipped, and now I've found my sweet spot with this soap, using even more water during face lathering. I like when my lather is almost runny, very slick and hydrated.
It's a very nice soap, slick and protective. The only drawback is that it is shaped like a traditional bar of bath soap. I wet one side and stuck it to the bottom of my soap dish and it had stuck so far. I can see a slight dishing in the middle of the bar, so as it gets used I may have to adjust how I use my brush on it, or end up grating it.
Do you have a smaller mug or bowl? Maybe raid the kitchen bowls or even plastic tupperware? I shave with a lot of "bar" soap styles- Savon de Marseille and Dove are two of my favorites. The Dove can be easily pushed into a typical mug. The much harder Savon soaps need to be cut to fit- but they'll stay wedged into the mug for the majority of the lifetime of the soap. I've tried doing it the way you have pictured and eventually the soap will unstick and move around too much for my liking.

Yep, nice soap. I grated mine in with some other soaps I’m trying to use up. I do like the scent….it’s very nice. I would prefer it to be round instead of rectangular, but it’s easy enough to trim or grate into a bowl.

Well I was closer that I thought. The soap fragmented over the last two shaves and I had just about enough usable soap for today’s shave.
BFBED050-3C34-421D-9D40-714B976F67EA.jpeg

DR Harris Marlborough 🙏🏽 What a great soap it was. I used a Duke 3 for every outing with it and the combination was excellent. I don’t know about their current soaps. I’m not in the market for one though. But if their current soaps are as good as this 9-10 year old puck, they have a fantastic product.
1D69702B-614D-42D7-8338-276C3612007E.jpeg

Still have a couple of days before I shave next, will take a look at the stock and choose tomorrow.

My MWF gave it's last lather last weekend. I'm not sad to see it go and won't seek it out unless I move to a different water supply

I decided to take a week and try a few soaps so first up was RR mudder focker. It was a pretty great shave and good scent so same soap for a second time... and so on until here I am a week later and haven’t tried anything else. It's just soo much easier and more satisfying than the Fat

Taking RR mudder focker to the end!

Well I was closer that I thought. The soap fragmented over the last two shaves and I had just about enough usable soap for today’s shave.
View attachment 1600946

DR Harris Marlborough 🙏🏽 What a great soap it was. I used a Duke 3 for every outing with it and the combination was excellent. I don’t know about their current soaps. I’m not in the market for one though. But if their current soaps are as good as this 9-10 year old puck, they have a fantastic product.
View attachment 1600945
Still have a couple of days before I shave next, will take a look at the stock and choose tomorrow.
DRH is still making great soaps. I’m back on a more traditional triple milled soap kick and have a few DRH soaps and they are all fantastic performers.

I broke my rule and bought another soap, Saponificio Varesino, after reading @Marco’s reviews of it. With the stockpile I’ve had and my almost complete lack of new purchases for almost 10 years, the new soap market has completely passed me by. Re: this purchase, sorry, not sorry!

The Cade is rapidly disappearing, a consequence of necessary heavy loading to get a stable lather, and it won’t be too long now.

I broke my rule and bought another soap, Saponificio Varesino, after reading @Marco’s reviews of it. With the stockpile I’ve had and my almost complete lack of new purchases for almost 10 years, the new soap market has completely passed me by. Re: this purchase, sorry, not sorry!
You could always PIF a soap of a similar size and/or weight that you may have multiples or don't favor. Heck, you could even ask the recipient to cover the cost of postage. That way the SV isn't so much a new purchase as it is a substitution.

It's just an unsolicited suggestion. Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy the SV
:cool:

You could always PIF a soap of a similar size and/or weight that you may have multiples or don't favor. Heck, you could even ask the recipient to cover the cost of postage. That way the SV isn't so much a new purchase as it is a substitution.

It's just an unsolicited suggestion. Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy the SV
:cool:
I was just looking at my list in the wiki and I have (not counting the SV) 4 hard soaps and two tins of SCS Fairway that I would put to dedicated 3017 use. The rest (6 hard soaps?) are Unobtainium. I intend to milk the Unobtainium for years (decades???), so I don’t feel like I have to give anything up.

I was just looking at my list in the wiki and I have (not counting the SV) 4 hard soaps and two tins of SCS Fairway that I would put to dedicated 3017 use. The rest (6 hard soaps?) are Unobtainium. I intend to milk the Unobtainium for years (decades???), so I don’t feel like I have to give anything up.
Yeah, I wouldn't give up anything either. Almost 10 years without a purchase? That's amazing and congratulations are definitely in order.

In hindsight I guess I was just projecting a bit. Based on my current inventory, I expect in 10 years to have a few unobtanium soaps and several which would fall into the undesirable category.

Congratulations on your significant accomplishment and dedication 👏

Last edited:
Yeah, I wouldn't give up anything either. Almost 10 years without a purchase? That's amazing and congratulations are definitely in order.

In hindsight I guess I was just projecting a bit. Based on my current inventory, I expect in 10 years to have a few unobtanium soaps and several which would fall into the unwanted category.

Congratulations on your significant accomplishment and dedication 👏
I wouldn’t call it dedication so much as a “What have I done?” moment.

strop

Now half as wise
It won’t be long for the Arlington. This is after 30 shaves.

D8D56E6D-2BF7-4117-BDBA-A9D89B20ADFF.jpeg

I started with 36g so will end up around 1g/shave.

Then on to the next one. As I said before, I don’t think this has ever been given the 3017 treatment, but I’m not reading this whole thread again. I'm fairly certain there are those here that have nice spreadsheets of all the soaps used, so I’ll depend on them to let me know if my memory is accurate!

Top Bottom