What's new

My Guess... 3017

24C52421-1428-453F-B9BC-397F9809FA24.jpegD9729BA9-D180-410C-AB9C-199C5F10ED7F.jpeg3EBCC87B-9193-49D2-A0C4-6A794D78AA92.jpeg
The last shave with Wilkinson Cream was the best. I try to use a little extra on the last shave rather than leave less than one shave’s worth of cream in the tube. It warranted a big boar brush (Semogue 2000). If I’d used this much cream every shave, it would have been wasteful and the tube would have been empty in 6 weeks. The lather pic is after application of the first pass. Plenty for three passes. The acquatic scent grew on me, too. Nice budget cream.

Monsavon, a French economy soap, up next.

Over the course of the last year I have been concentrating on using and finishing product. I have been going through aftershaves, colognes and shaving creams and sold off most of the excess. But the soaps... well, I just like them all and don't want to unload them. Over the last several months I have been using mainly Pre de Provence and C&E Sandalwood with an occasional SCS soap thrown in for good measure. ( 1 SCS I finished and have about 1/2 of another remaining.) Seriously, I have barely put a dent in these soaps. (I know in comparision to some of you hoarders collectors my collection is quite modest. :yesnod: )

My best guess... they should be done by 2017. That's approximately 2,555 shaves. Then, once they are all done, I'll use that NOS Old Spice soap sitting in my shave closet that I have been wanting to try. :001_rolle

FYI - In the unmarked bowl is Floris JF.
full

Since the beginning of the year I have used nothing but the C&E Sandalwood. I am just beginning to notice an indentation on the soap. I am tempted to use it solely until it is finished.

The Chubby 1 Best and Rooney 3/1 Super are the two brushes in my collection that can really eat up a cake of soap.
There are 1,186 pages. Not wanting to wade through all that, how long did it take you to use up all your soap in the original post?

Tabac cream is done. 6-7 years ago I had posted somewhere that it isn’t a good cream. Well obviously I didn’t know how to use it. It’s a fantastic cream with the trademark tabac scent. I use a Berkeley exclusively nowadays (perfect size and lathering properties for me) and found that an inch of cream with very little water makes for a very good shave. I enjoyed both the hard soap and the cream equally.

Moving on to my last stick of La Toja. What a lovely scent this one has🙂

7FE45D28-04AB-4612-875E-6927BFD694F4.jpeg

First shave with Monsavon. I had not loaded a soap in quite awhile, and it became clear that a 10 second MdC load wouldn't cut it with this budget soap. I loaded a bit longer and got a slick lather with mediocre cushion. The comparisons to Williams are warranted in this respect. I will get better lathers as I reacquaint with this soap. The scent contains lavender, I believe. I think this will last less than 2 months. I can't remember how many shaves my first puck provided.

Two kills in a week :thumbup1:

3017derbymenthol1.jpeg

3017derbyproraso.jpeg
3017prorasogreen.jpeg

Derby "Menthol" Cream which is not mentholated at all is a good cream. Once I finished my existing creams I will buy it again. The scent is between barbershop scent and fresh soap scent. Derby must be used generously in order to reach to a decent lather, which helps to 3017 faster :biggrin1:.

Proraso is a really mentholated cream and 3017ing take longer since a small amount of cream is more than enough to build a decent lather.

My third attack will be to my 1/3 wilkinson stick. In order to finish faster (a precious advice of a good friend of mine) I may press in to a small bowl :biggrin1:

There are 1,186 pages. Not wanting to wade through all that, how long did it take you to use up all your soap in the original post?

As I recall, @johnniegold completed the task in 2014, so 4 years

You really should. This is the most valuable thread in all of shavedom.

How’s that?

This thread has very detailed discussion of products, performance and lathering techniques based on actual long term use, rather than the more common ‘first time using the soap and it sucks’ threads.

My 3017 of Momma Bears Autumn Afternoon came to a premature end. I was gone for a couple days and SWMBO confiscated what was left of the puck for leg duty. I enjoyed this soap a great deal, but, I'm always happy to PIF any shaving supplies to others in the household as it keeps the raised eyebrow looks to a minimum when a vintage razor is procured at the occasional estate sale.

Onward!! For my next 3017 effort I'm visiting an old friend. Haslinger Sandalwood tallow. This puck dates back about 5 years. Last time I used Haslinger I grated the puck. This time its being used in its original form. Its not my favorite sandalwood scent, but it is quite pleasant. Expectations are high. Cheers!

Haslinger Sandalwood.jpg

My 3017 of Momma Bears Autumn Afternoon came to a premature end. I was gone for a couple days and SWMBO confiscated what was left of the puck for leg duty. I enjoyed this soap a great deal, but, I'm always happy to PIF any shaving supplies to others in the household as it keeps the raised eyebrow looks to a minimum when a vintage razor is procured at the occasional estate sale.

Onward!! For my next 3017 effort I'm visiting an old friend. Haslinger Sandalwood tallow. This puck dates back about 5 years. Last time I used Haslinger I grated the puck. This time its being used in its original form. Its not my favorite sandalwood scent, but it is quite pleasant. Expectations are high. Cheers!

View attachment 1342643
Don’t ask me why I think this, but that’s a beautiful photo.

Don’t ask me why I think this, but that’s a beautiful photo.
Thank you, purely accidental as I’ve no photography skills.

I’ve had that little bottle of skin food for a few years and never used it. I’m going to give it a healthy try out as the scent seems to pair well with Haslingers sandalwood.

On a side note…in my earlier post I didn’t give Mama Bears it’s proper praise. It was a fantastic soap and I will absolutely revisit the brand soon. I have my eye on Grapefruit with menthol for next summer.

Top Bottom