What's new

My Guess... 3017

I think there’s no way in heck that the tallow doesn’t beat the pants off the veggie version. Take it from me, don’t 3017 that tallow puck. It’s special and deserves to be savored and made to last as long as possible. I learned the hard way with a puck of LaToja Manantiales, and regret it to this day.

I welcome another 3017er hitting the veggie Violet along with me. It’s not the best, but far from the worst (I’m looking at you, Captain Fawcett’s), and the scent is divine.

I do not plan on 3017'ing the tallow puck. Just enough for a comparison of the two.

Are you referring to the potassium palmate or sodium palmate veggie formula?

I used this potassium palmate puck twice and the tallow puck once this week.

I am hesitant to give an initial impressions so early, but here they are. Note the extremely low number of uses. In regards to performance (cushion, slickness), I say they are pretty close. I have used the PP version before, and find it to be a very good soap. The tallow puck may be better, but that will require more shaves and possibly a side by side comparison to determine. The PP version definitely holds in own against the tallow puck. I will say the tallow seemed to load quicker.

I should note I am using a Simpson Tulip 3 Super badger for these shaves. I just received this brush and what a better way to defunk the badger knot. I agree with Bob, the Violet scent is something else. It's smells fantastic.

I do not plan on 3017'ing the tallow puck. Just enough for a comparison of the two.

Are you referring to the potassium palmate or sodium palmate veggie formula?

I used this potassium palmate puck twice and the tallow puck once this week.

I am hesitant to give an initial impressions so early, but here they are. Note the extremely low number of uses. In regards to performance (cushion, slickness), I say they are pretty close. I have used the PP version before, and find it to be a very good soap. The tallow puck may be better, but that will require more shaves and possibly a side by side comparison to determine. The PP version definitely holds in own against the tallow puck. I will say the tallow seemed to load quicker.

I should note I am using a Simpson Tulip 3 Super badger for these shaves. I just received this brush and what a better way to defunk the badger knot. I agree with Bob, the Violet scent is something else. It's smells fantastic.

My puck is a potassium palmate formula. I think the very first reformulation from tallow was sodium palmate, and that sucked so bad, that they reformulated again to the better potassium palmate version. Re: the scent, it's just so unique. Every other English house went lavender, and Trumper went big.

Up next:

TOBS Grapefruit, just under 100g left in tub.

IMG-2460.jpg

Progress so far:

3017_2021-05-01.jpg

I have made the decision to 3017 a few soaps I have. For years now I’ve been trying to narrow down my rotation to 5-7 soaps, but with nearly 20 currently in my inventory it’s going to take too long.

I plan to keep doing it until I kill a few soaps that I know I won’t replace or that I already have a backup. Lets see how it goes

I will start small (baby steps) and finish a Tabac stick that I started so long ago that I don’t even remember the year. I will take the opportunity to kill some splashes too, starting with an old La Toja

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I have made the decision to 3017 a few soaps I have. For years now I’ve been trying to narrow down my rotation to 5-7 soaps, but with nearly 20 currently in my inventory it’s going to take too long.

I plan to keep doing it until I kill a few soaps that I know I won’t replace or that I already have a backup. Lets see how it goes

I go back and forth with my strategies for 3017-ing the 40-ish soaps in my inventory:

Strategy #1: Start with the soaps that have already been started, smallest ones first, so that I can get my soap count down more quickly.

Strategy #2: Life is full of uncertainty, so use the best soaps in my inventory first.

At one point I decided to use up my creams and softer soaps lest they go bad before I get to them. Then in Feb 2019 I cracked open the seal on a brick of Vitos Extra super coco. A short 800 shaves later I am beginning to wonder if this stuff replenishes itself in my bathroom drawer. My best guess is that I have another two years of soap left. On the plus side I will have a bit of time to decide which of my 58 remaining soaps to try next.

Finished off a bag of Proraso Single Blade Cypress and Vetiver this morning. It's not bad for a cream. I used it for my pre-shave and shave. I didn't skimp on product either so I went through it at least 2x faster than most people probably would. It lasted 5 weeks for me. Slickness and protection were both pretty good. Post shave was not stellar. Usually needed a balm to counter the slight dryness I felt a couple hours after the shave. But as far as creams go, it's one of the better ones I've tried.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I followed STRATEGY-1, @Saltchuck , then I went through a "Use up my yucky stuff" period and am now back to a place where I choose what I want to 3017 next rather than following a thematic approach.
I started using my nearly empty soaps first to get my soap count down which has led to me using up some of my oldest soaps and creams first. I recently acquired the Yaqi Moka Express 26mm 2 band badger brush and that is just a lather hog so I am using it to take on 2 of my oldest and least liked soaps, Arko and Wilkinson Sword Blue puck. So I guess I am using my least liked soaps at the moment

Im coming to the end of the Fine Accoutrements Platinum (old formula). Im beating it to death so perhaps i can kill it in 40 shaves from a puck. The shaves are excellent but Ive had a few random thoughts of binning or giving away some or many of my 35 odd remaining soaps. They feel like a ball and chain.

Think i need to reframe my thinking !!!!!

strop

Now half as wise
Still going strong with the Donkey's Milk soap, after the break for some SIM. I had previously decided to use QCS Esquire when I got tired of this one, and was looking thru my stash to see if Esquire still called out. I found a jar of old Proraso pre-shave. Like many here, after finding B&B I experimented with many things in search of my perfect shave, and tried all the preshaves out there. The only one that I thought made any difference was Floid Sandolor, now long gone. The proraso did add a nice touch of menthol without changing the soap pereformance, though. I also came across my jar of Lucky Tiger Disappearing cream aftershave. Hmmm. Looks and feels like the Proraso. Used it as a preshave this morning, and get the nice menthol effect! So I am sticking with the Donkey's Milk for now, though am thinking this would be great for the rest of the summer with some AOSt unscented!

Ive had a few random thoughts of binning or giving away some or many of my 35 odd remaining soaps. They feel like a ball and chain.

Think i need to reframe my thinking !!!!!
I've never had near as many soaps as this, but even with a small collection of samples I've sensed that ball and chain feeling. I'm sure that most people are not bothered by it. I'm down to one and happy.

I'm entering the 3017 train, I'd like to keep eliminating whatever is collected.

Note: There are some soaps/ tubes which I like to keep in rotation, and I'm OK with them lasting a long time, these soaps may fall from grace and later on added to the list, but currently only the (#) marked are in 3017 list.

These #'ed are the list of Soaps that I plan to 3017.

= Catie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris
= Catie's Bubbles Midnight Dreary
= Mitchell's Wool Fat
= Tabac Original
= Stirling Duke #
= Stirling Inquity For Her (Unused)
= Stirling Duchess (Unused)
= Stirling Evie (Unused)
= Institut Karite Paris soap (Unused)
= Old Spice Original tube #
= Old Spice Musk tube #
= Old Spice Lime tube #
= Vicco Turmeric w/ Sandalwood
= Vicco Turmeric tube #
= Patanjali Shaving cream tube #
= Godrej Original tube #
= Godrej Sensitive tube #
= Godrej Lime tube #
= Vitos Extra Super Coco
= Wickham 1912 Spice Trader #
= Wickham 1912 Club Cola #
= Williams Mug Soap
= Arko Stick
= La Toja stick
= Dettol Shaving tube #
= Trigodon Soaps #

The first soap for 3017 is going to be Stirling Duke.

I'm entering the 3017 train, I'd like to keep eliminating whatever is collected.

Note: There are some soaps/ tubes which I like to keep in rotation, and I'm OK with them lasting a long time, these soaps may fall from grace and later on added to the list, but currently only the (#) marked are in 3017 list.

These #'ed are the list of Soaps that I plan to 3017.

= Catie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris
= Catie's Bubbles Midnight Dreary
= Mitchell's Wool Fat
= Tabac Original
= Stirling Duke #
= Stirling Inquity For Her (Unused)
= Stirling Duchess (Unused)
= Stirling Evie (Unused)
= Institut Karite Paris soap (Unused)
= Old Spice Original tube #
= Old Spice Musk tube #
= Old Spice Lime tube #
= Vicco Turmeric w/ Sandalwood
= Vicco Turmeric tube #
= Patanjali Shaving cream tube #
= Godrej Original tube #
= Godrej Sensitive tube #
= Godrej Lime tube #
= Vitos Extra Super Coco
= Wickham 1912 Spice Trader #
= Wickham 1912 Club Cola #
= Williams Mug Soap
= Arko Stick
= La Toja stick
= Dettol Shaving tube #
= Trigodon Soaps #

The first soap for 3017 is going to be Stirling Duke.

Dude, I want you to live stream your use of the Vicco creams.

Head to head comparison. GFT Tallow vs. GFT Potassium Palmate

I have been alternating between these two soaps for a couple weeks. When used by themselves, I had a suspicion the tallow puck performed better. The veggie formula definitely holds its own against the tallow. Today I used both soaps. I tried to use brushes that were similar. The Jade/Horn brush is a Rudy Vey handle with a Shavemac Silvertip knot. The Simpson is a Tulip 3 Super (Silvertip) badger.

Head to head, the nod goes to the tallow puck. the lather is creamier and more dense. I tried to reload the PP puck to get more density, but it didn't reach the density of the tallow puck. Slickness also goes to the tallow puck. It seemed to cling to my skin a little better. This left a little more residual slickness. The veggie PP lather rinsed off easier and was lighter. It was a little more airy than the tallow lather, even after reloading.

Needless to say, I would love to see GFT go back to this tallow formula. Since these pucks are no longer available, they command a price that I am not comfortable shelling out for a soap. If the tallow version is a 10, the PP formula is an 8.5. This reminds me a lot of buying a Floid Blue clone (Epsilon, etc) vs. buying the real thing at the premium price. While it is a suitable substitute, it's not quite the real deal. Like my Floid Blue, this tallow puck will be used sparingly.

20210511_091525.jpg

Top Bottom