What's new

My Guess... 3017

Finished the Palmolive stick today. Mashed into a bowl it goes a lot faster. As @beginish mentioned recently, there's a lot to be said for one month soaps.

Not sure what's next. Maybe AOS Lemon, La Toya stick, or PDP 63. Leaning towards La Toja since I haven't used in many years (2014).

Here's the backstock remaining, at this point all NOS.
View attachment 1249718

I think we’re on the same timeframe to finish the stock, Jeff.

FA6D0D61-07CF-4CBF-9601-E578DFC4D40A.jpeg46665296-3049-4E88-BD79-52CD5FE78EBB.jpeg
It's hard for me to claim a nostalgic shave since I only found B&B in 2010 and I had only been using soap and a brush for the preceding 5 years, but I am claiming one this morning. Shortly after finding B&B I went on that classic buying spree that included an internet purchase of 2 tubes of Proraso (The C.O. Bigelow purchase soon followed!). I haven't used Proraso, except for a cheat shave a few weeks ago, in several years. The only other menthol product I have used is Valobra.

So it was nice and refreshing to go back to a classic. I had a warm bike ride and was looking forward to the eucalyptus and menthol cream. It performs just as well as the LEA Sensitive cream I just finished, but it has the medicinal smell and cooling sensation. I suppose the review is totally unnecessary given everyone has tried this cream. At times I feel it gets short shrift as a budget cream, but it performs well. Probably six weeks here?

Last edited:
I'm getting excellent shaves from the Fine Accoutrements Platinum soap (old formula). I have always found it easy to lather and has excellent slick, but i had felt the density just wasn't there sometimes. Anyway, i think ive cracked it with a little less water and a slightly longer whisking. I havent got it to match the shave sublime nirvana that is the Fat, but it is excellent.

One point that weirdly irritates me, and it makes no practical difference I don't think, but the originally hard soap is now a soft croap. I had wrongly assumed that it would start hard and die hard but it hasn't. I suppose it grates me a little because i tend to have a built in prejudice toward hard soaps and Ive got about 10 Fine blocks left. First world problem of course. I could dry it out etc etc and i might try that on future pucks.

strop

Now half as wise
It was back to the tin of Donkey's Milk soap today on my modified 3017 program. The SIM gave me 37 shaves from 34 grams, and I have about that much more left in that stick. I'll complete April with the Donkey's Milk and then may go on to another for May. Haven't decided for sure, but may stay with he unobtanium theme and go with my last puck of QCS, which is Esquire.

Last edited:
Finished off a tub of Strop Shoppe Instinct. I know they were one of the first artisans. Still not sure I’ve tried anything appreciably better as far as butter rich artisan soaps go. Scent was light. The was an SE with lanolin version. Quite enjoyed it. Took around 3 months.

Up next will be some samples. I thought I’d killed off all my samples but I was doing some spring cleaning and came upon a half dozen or so. A sample of MdC, Caties Bubbles, Lisa’s Natural, tallow and Steele and a stirling. I’ll polish those off and check back in before my next full size kill.

Onward

DR Harris Lavender turned out to be more of a challenge than I expected. I have been using it since mid October. I shave a minimum of 5 times per week. It provided some excellent shaves, but I'm glad it over. It makes me rethink my soap stash that is heavy with triple milled soaps. I'm calling it done as I'm tired of chasing it around.

20210416_155021.jpg

DR Harris Lavender turned out to be more of a challenge than I expected. I have been using it since mid October. I shave a minimum of 5 times per week. It provided some excellent shaves, but I'm glad it over. It makes me rethink my soap stash that is heavy with triple milled soaps. I'm calling it done as I'm tired of chasing it around.

Congratulations on the kill. DR Harris Lavender is underrated - great scent and performance.

Finished off a tub of Strop Shoppe Instinct. I know they were one of the first artisans. Still not sure I’ve tried anything appreciably better as far as butter rich artisan soaps go. Scent was light. The was an SE with lanolin version. Quite enjoyed it. Took around 3 months.

Agree. I got a puck of Strop Shoppe in a BST lot and thought it was great. Understated scents. Exceptional performance years before the subsequent waves of high quality artisans.

View attachment 1252525

Harris soaps are great performers, but their staying power is exhausting. I have a very lightly used puck of Windsor and brand new Arlington in the queue. After I finish the Trumper Violet, I may go after the Windsor.

Arlington and Tabac are the only soaps to last about 4 months for me.

Really enjoying the Proraso. It is so different from all of the other soaps and creams I’ve used, though I don’t seek menthol products. Valobra Menthol, the only other mentholated product I’ve uses, has a fraction of the cooling sensation. I filled a Semogue 1305 with an inch of cream today. Making sure to wipe residue off the brush handle and razor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom