What's new

My Guess... 3017

Re: Top Secret Lanolizado cream
I am going to miss it when it is gone, especially if it is no longer in production. This cream produces a tight lather which is slick, protective, and moisturizing. No large bubbles. Not airy. I would have put this in the permanent rotation after killing everything else. Another cream which is denser is Tabac, but it takes twice as much cream to get a similar lather.

Used this tub every day this year and have rotated some syth, boar and badger with success. Tomorrow will be face lather with a badger. Really a nice soap.
Resizer_16102141201080.jpg

Last edited:
My once proud puck of Tabac is now just a smear in the bottom of the Old Spice mug. I believe I have enough for 1 more shave. Anything left after tomorrow will serve to glue the next puck to the bottom of the mug. Heck of a soap, Tabac is. Still my favorite for straight shaving. Worked equally as well with all of my brushes. Synthetic, Boar, Badgers. Whatever. All whipped up an awesome lather easy as could be. Not picky about water. Just morning after morning of great shaves. The puck lasted 1 week shy of 4 months. That's up there with one of the longest lasting soaps I've ever used. Borderline too long. If it didn't perform so well that would have been an issue.

Next up will be old school, tallow Haslinger Shafmilch just in time for the dog days of winter. Maybe I'll follow that up with a C&S O&C and go for some kind of triple crown or something. I bought a ton of that when I heard volabra tallow was no more.

strop

Now half as wise
Finally finished my first 3017 attempt. I must admit it was really fun and the soap was good but took longer than I thought. The 25g of MDC fougere pressed in a bowl lasted 38 shaves. I since received a 200g tube. I think next is gonna be a bunch of 3-4 shaves Tobs samples. Then Im done with creams.
Finished :
View attachment 1204283
Next :
View attachment 1204284

Well done. Very interesting copper bowl.

On December I have finished Palmolive Classic cream, good cream but I didn't like the scent. On January I started Goodfellas' Smile Candy Cotton, a very soft croap. I am unlucky again with scent, it is just sweet and smell like cocoa butter.
IMG_20210114_181426.jpg

I finished up Haslinger Sage a couple days ago and started on a tub of B&M Lyssa. Good shaves so far. The Lyssa scent is a bit odd but it might grow on me. It's not holding me back at least.

Planning to focus on going through samples this year.

Lucky me, I just finished one of the very best scents I’ve ever had (Reef Point Submariner). I really wish I had used it when the artisan was still in business. I would have definitely gotten a tub ... or two.

On December I have finished Palmolive Classic cream, good cream but I didn't like the scent. On January I started Goodfellas' Smile Candy Cotton, a very soft croap. I am unlucky again with scent, it is just sweet and smell like cocoa butter. View attachment 1208540
Do you scoop croap or load in the tub? I have a brand new tub of DG Darkfall that is super soft and for some reason I'm having a
Resizer_16107301795170.jpg
hard time rubbing a dripping wet brush on it (I use mostly boars). But I used another tub of DG soap today (the bottom of the rub made a small appearance today!) that I've tub loaded for years and the scent and lather seems fine. Although it is a slightly harder soap I think.

I was digging around in a drawer for a fresh tuck of DE blades and bumped into a tube of T&H Ultimate Comfort cream that I had picked up during a trip to Chicago a couple summers back. I'm 6 weeks into the current 3017 effort so I decided to take a one day break. I was rewarded with a thick and slick lather that rivaled Haslinger. Color me impressed.

Top Bottom