What's new

My Guess... 3017

I lied to you all. I started the tube of Barbon but then after the first use, opened up a tub of Figaro Monsieur. I only got through one day with a cream. It’s not a bad cream. I was just really jonesing to use one of the TFS soaps I have and I will tell you, it doesn’t disappoint. It’s a really good soap and I’m looking forward to the next couple of months of shaves. Fragrance is very light and plain, but it’s nice and actually I continue to catch whiffs of it throughout the morning. Ill post a pic soon but it was a brand new tub that I just purchased last month.

I’m not full-on 3017, but I’ve finally slayed a dragon and actually finished a soap!! Maybe not the most challenging one...

A698CA2F-13E8-4005-8F92-4E6429944863.jpeg

I finished my DR Harris Arlington, or at least it finished itself as it broke apart and couldn't be lathered anymore. Second time trying this soap out and it's just underwhelming...great scent and mediocre performer. On and off with this soap for a couple years and I've not really enjoyed it. Actually the performance was so poor that I dropped to shaving about twice a week!

Took a hard right turn and grabbed a Palmolive shave stick that has been in my travel bag for nearly a decade but rarely used. I actually took this soap on my honeymoon over seven years ago! I don't like shave sticks so I cut it up into pieces and smashed it into my favorite soap dish. I did this previously as one of the first shave soaps I ever 3017'd many years ago and really liked it.

First shave with it just now was great, it's so much thicker and slicker than DR Harris. It's got a bright soapy smell to it, but performance wise it's just about up with all the greats (Tabac, Haslinger, etc). It will be nice to actually look forward to shaving again!

3017'd a puck of Belle's Place Green Irish Tweed soap yesterday. He's a local Pulaski, VA soapmaker. He sells his wares at the Roanoke Farmers Market. It's a very slick soap, but it doesn't take much water. In fact, you'll get best results if you don't bloom the soap first. I found that using too much water caused the lather to dissipate shortly after applying to the face. Getting the water right, however, produced an extremely slick lather that lasted easily through that particular shaving pass.

Green Irish Tweed is a mild scent, but pleasant. Kudos to Belle's Place Soap Company.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Nice, @rapwedinger . Shave soaps with olive oil get knocked around and disparaged quite a bit as unlatherable, but if the soapmaker knows what they're doing, they can be quite nice.

18 days ago I did indeed receive a package consisting of my current 3017 effort. B&M Hallows. Its B&M's new soap base and its extremely soft. Softer than most croaps...borderline cream.

I almost binned it right away because the scent is very strong and just horrible. To be fair, scent is very subjective of course and this being a LE scent for Halloween I get it. But to 3017 a soap that, well, almost turns my stomach is a bit hard to take.

On the other hand...as bad as the scent is, the performance of this soap is so good I'm willing to hold my nose the entire shave. As far as performance is concerned this is top shelf in every category. It may be the best performing soap I've ever used with last years offering by A&E being very close behind.

Its going quickly. I'm easily more than half way through this already and I don't see it surviving deep into November. In fact, its going so quickly I'm already contemplating what this winters 3017 effort will be.

Cheers to my lurking friend in the great white north! Thank you Sir for another chance to try out a current artisan. Now please stop sending me shaving software as I've a 10 year supply as it is. :oops:

B&M Hallows is complete. Performance was excellent, scent was not for me. The picture below is a couple weeks old just before I finished it off. Sorry for the sideways pic. Next to Hallows is my current 3017 effort, the new tallow-free formula of Haslinger Schafmilch. I thought I could fit 3 grated pucks into the container but was only able to smash 2 of them in.

I've got a handful of shaves into the grated pucks of tallow-free schafmilch. Those shaves have convinced me that I know longer need to sit on my modest stash of Haslinger soap I have that contains tallow. Their is no need because as far as I can tell the new formula is every bit as good as the tallow formula. Hats off to Haslinger for putting so muhc care and effort into their reformulation. The beloved old English shave soaps are littered with half-hearted efforts that resulted in below average products. As far as my face is concerned Haslinger remains among the very elite of shaving soaps including both mass-produced and artisanal.

Its going to be a winter of nice shaves.

Hallow.jpg

Schafmilch1.jpg

I've got a handful of shaves into the grated pucks of tallow-free schafmilch. Those shaves have convinced me that I know longer need to sit on my modest stash of Haslinger soap I have that contains tallow. Their is no need because as far as I can tell the new formula is every bit as good as the tallow formula.
Thats good to hear, I have a puck on its way.

Thats good to hear, I have a puck on its way.

If you’re into butter heavy heavily scented soft soaps you may be disappointed. Which is understandable, many shavers look for exotic scents. Haslinger is a simple honest soap with basic packaging and subtle scents. Lathering is easy, but it’s a thirsty soap and when properly hydrated performance is off the hook.

Proraso White is performing better on vacation. I’m pretty sure the water here is harder, but the lather has become denser and more creamy.

Had a breakthrough, of sorts, today. 2 months in on my puck of Tabac smashed into an old spice mug, and those little protrusions that keep the soap from spinning on the sides of the mug made their first appearance. Still got a ways to go. Haven't hit bottom by any stretch. Not sure it'll go 2 more months, but I'll likely finish 2020 with Tabac. I'm AOK with that as it's stellar.

Had a breakthrough, of sorts, today. 2 months in on my puck of Tabac smashed into an old spice mug, and those little protrusions that keep the soap from spinning on the sides of the mug made their first appearance. Still got a ways to go. Haven't hit bottom by any stretch. Not sure it'll go 2 more months, but I'll likely finish 2020 with Tabac. I'm AOK with that as it's stellar.
I'm on shave #154 on my Tabac puck and the end is not yet in sight. I wouldn't be surprised if you got 3 or 4 more months from yours.

Top Bottom