What's new

My Guess... 3017

E2D99528-FB60-468B-9917-12935A07172A.jpeg

Checking back a little early. Proraso White is getting the Semogue 2000 treatment. Hoping to kill it in less than 2 months. I like the light, bright scent and cooling menthol, but the lather is meh in cushion and slickness.

Speick finally finished today! Since I'm not used to sticks I decided to do a 3 part experiment with this soap. I used as a stick, grated into a bowl and cut into three disc's and pressed them into the bowl. I kept the brush the same. Yaqi 24mm badger 2 band.

With the stick I was getting inconsistent results. My loads varied from too little and looking for how to reload to too much and I felt I had to work forever to work it into a lather. I'll chalk this up to inexperience but I'm not sure I want to go through that learning curve.

Next up I grated the soap and pressed it into a bowl. I may have gone heavy handed on the pressing because it wore slow and I never had any indication it was never one solid piece of soap. Once I pressed it in with my thumb as much as I could I used the back of a spoon and continued. I feel this was the best format I had of this soap and what I'll probably do from here on out.

20200918_185635.jpg

Lastly I cut three disc's and pussed them into the bottom of the dish. I found this was a quick and easy method but they wore unevenly which seemed to press a nerve. (I'm generally not OCD about such things)

20201002_212702.jpg

I found my usage a bit interesting and unexpected compared to other's experience.

Stick1.16 g/shave
Grated1.56 g/shave
Coins1.77 g/shave

I'm guessing my extra time of compressing the grated portion and using a bowl that was not closed allowed for the slower use of the grated portion. I also think this soap would have benefited from a covered dish.

In all speick was a great soap that I'll be happy to use again. Up next... I have no idea.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Speick finally finished today! Since I'm not used to sticks I decided to do a 3 part experiment with this soap. I used as a stick, grated into a bowl and cut into three disc's and pressed them into the bowl. I kept the brush the same. Yaqi 24mm badger 2 band.

With the stick I was getting inconsistent results. My loads varied from too little and looking for how to reload to too much and I felt I had to work forever to work it into a lather. I'll chalk this up to inexperience but I'm not sure I want to go through that learning curve.

Next up I grated the soap and pressed it into a bowl. I may have gone heavy handed on the pressing because it wore slow and I never had any indication it was never one solid piece of soap. Once I pressed it in with my thumb as much as I could I used the back of a spoon and continued. I feel this was the best format I had of this soap and what I'll probably do from here on out.

Lastly I cut three disc's and pussed them into the bottom of the dish. I found this was a quick and easy method but they wore unevenly which seemed to press a nerve. (I'm generally not OCD about such things)

View attachment 1170842

I found my usage a bit interesting and unexpected compared to other's experience.

Stick1.16 g/shave
Grated1.56 g/shave
Coins1.77 g/shave

I'm guessing my extra time of compressing the grated portion and using a bowl that was not closed allowed for the slower use of the grated portion. I also think this soap would have benefited from a covered dish.

In all speick was a great soap that I'll be happy to use again. Up next... I have no idea.

I have had similar problems with stick soaps. Currently I am using up a stick of Palmolive that gave me terrible shaves so I took the remainder and pressed it into a dip bowl. Now I can actually get a decent lather from it.
IMG_20201015_201650.jpg

My next 3017 is likely to be either a Nivea shave stick or Arko (also pressed into a dip bowl)

Im just about a month in to using this chunk of Cella EEP (I think tomorrow or Friday will be a month officially). I've used 50 grams of soap in that time. This is not inconsistent with what I've found over the past several years. I am a face and head shaver near daily, so I do often times have to go back to the well to get additional soap for ol' dome. The container weighs 15 grams, so there is about 135 grams of soap left. I'm going to predict that by January 15th, it will be time to start another 3017 project. If I can stick to this one, this will be the longest I've ever used one sopa. I like 3017ing. I'm already planning what I'm going to use next, even though its nearly three months away. It will probably be a cream, or maybe a smaller puck of soap I have. Just something that I can knock out in 30 to 60 days. Keep on truckin'.
IMG_1575.jpg

It’s beard time in my neck of the woods. So the Godrej round gets used only for touch ups every 10 days or so. Should last me the rest of the year at this rate.

Based on my average usage over the last 2328 days my remaining soaps will be used up sometime around July 2037. But as I get better at shaving my use per shave seems to be dropping (currently less than 0.4 g/shave on my brick of Vitos extra coco) so it might be a bit longer before I need to pick up some more soap.

Lol, what really boosted the number up is making a couple batches of shaving soap at 500 gr oils each. Results in about 700 gr of soap, and I probably use around 0.4 gr per shave, maybe less. Lotta shaving there.... I usually cut it into roughly 125 gr pieces, and they last me between 150 and 220 days each for most of them. Arko goes slower, and my tallow/stearic acid and tallow/soy wax soaps last longer.

Top Bottom