What's new

My Guess... 3017

Just getting going on the tabac puck, which is my current project. I'd forgotten just how much I like the tabac for straight razor shaving. All of this year I've barely used a straight razor as the products I've been 3017'ing haven't lent themselves to it. Tabac has that great balance of protection and slickness and it's a real treat. I've just rubbed the tabac name on the top of the soap off so I've barely scratched the surface (literally) of this puck. Going to be a good one.

First post to the 3017 thread. I’m newer to wet shaving, and have been working my way through the 3017 thread. Tbh I’ve skipped a head a bit, started going page by page around 900/950. Anyways, thank you everyone for the posts here, what a great wealth of information this is, and has been for me! Thank you again!
Here’s my first attempt at a 3017 of a soap, well sample that is. Stirling Executive Man sample with 6 shaves on it, amazing scent and incredible lather! Finally broke through the bottom on my previous shave with it, and I already have a full size tub waiting patiently to see the light of day. Thank you to everyone who’s said “load it like you hate it” or “load it like it owes you money” that one makes me laugh every time 😂. It is incredibly effective for achieving great lathers every time!
CB7C9BA0-0C0D-437C-A2A8-8400F5B4D751.jpeg

I’m not sure if I’ll continue the 3017 lifestyle or not but it has definitely helped get some great lathers, and has been fun getting to know a soap! Thank you again y’all! Keep up the good work.

Welcome aboard the 3017 lifestyle, @Jmp63 . Even if you wander off the path every now and then, I have faith that you'll be back with us after a week or so fling with a new soap.
Thank you for the warm welcome! It has been nice “getting to know” a soap and getting the most out of it! My shaves have been super enjoyable since I started and stuck with my current soap.

Thank you for the warm welcome! It has been nice “getting to know” a soap and getting the most out of it! My shaves have been super enjoyable since I started and stuck with my current soap.
Welcome!

I generally prefer hard soaps to croaps or creams. 3017ng lends itself well to hard pucks as the soap stays hydrated with regular use. Performance is much better!

Enjoy the ride.

Don’t fear the PdP! It takes longer than your average puck, but it smells great, performs well and is a pleasure to use. You’ll get bored, but mix in a few cheats here and there and you’ll have no problem getting back to business.

I don't know if fear is the right word. I actually enjoyed my bout with Tabac not so long ago but it lasted too long. Before I take on another big hitter I decided I need to up my soap killing arsenal.

I actually purchase a new brush last week and am waiting for it's arrival. Zenith's "The Big One" should be a destroyer of pucks. Pretty sure I've heard whimpers and crying coming from the box in the closet.

I won't be using it on my Speick (which has been great btw!) since I want to keep the brush variable a constant in my little experiment but I look forward to trying this new monster out.

I actually purchase a new brush last week and am waiting for it's arrival. Zenith's "The Big One" should be a destroyer of pucks. Pretty sure I've heard whimpers and crying coming from the box in the closet.

They may talk tough, but when push comes to shove, they're hiding behind the MWF and PdP in the box with them.

I'm making excellent progress with my Trumper Rose, and I expect to break through to the bottom this week (perhaps as early as tomorrow). The Rudy Vey custom with 25 mm Mühle knot has been delivering with lather after lather of great shaves, much to the chagrin of the soap. I'll be done with the puppy in a matter of weeks.

Well this is what’s left of my Palmolive stick grated into a bowl. I’m not sure it will get me through the shave tomorrow. I originally planned to next work on a near full tube of Proraso red cream, but I was reading another post about cella brick and decided instead to use a chunk of cella brick soap I purchased earlier this year.

As you can see , it weighs 198 grams In the container. I don’t know what the container weighs but it can be more than 20 grams being just a small plastic container. I’ll weight it when it’s done.

As we are in to the fall, I’m in for a nice two months or so of shaves with a nice fall soap. I’m still going to use my proraso red after shave which I think will compliment it well. I’ll keep everyone posted, not that you all care🤣. It’s just a nice feeling to finally be moving through soaps as opposed to constantly adding soaps and have the hectic day to day struggle of what to use.
Of course since I’m switch to cella, I’m going to back to my omega pro 49. They just seem to make magic together like Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga - or Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, dealers choice.
View attachment 1158269
View attachment 1158270

I was able to weigh the container the Cella is smooshed into. It weighs 15 grams, which puts the original amount of soap at 174 grams. That's over 6 ounces of soap! It might take longer than I thought. Thank goodness it is a softie.

Dont know if its the shape of the terracotta dish, or the composition of the soap, or the brush I'm using, or all of the above, but the usual ring of death is not developing with this iColoniali soap. Its dished a bit in the middle but its remaining mostly even as the soap level sinks towards the bottom of the dish. Its quite disconcerting as it gives the appearance that I'm making no progress whatsoever.

Dont know if its the shape of the terracotta dish, or the composition of the soap, or the brush I'm using, or all of the above, but the usual ring of death is not developing with this iColoniali soap. Its dished a bit in the middle but its remaining mostly even as the soap level sinks towards the bottom of the dish. Its quite disconcerting as it gives the appearance that I'm making no progress whatsoever.

I'd be interested to see a picture. I have a theory that I can't prove in any way... but a man with a terracotta dish might.

Terracotta breaths well and is great at pulling water out and drying it contents. Part of the reason cacti do well in them is because water doesn't stand in terracotta. So if the ring of death is caused by soap softening at the bottom of the puck making it easier to work through. The terracotta might negate that effect causing more evenly, and possibly slower, wearing soap.

Or maybe these are just the crazy ramblings of a soap obsessed mad man and I'm totally off the mark. Smart money would bet on the latter.

Stirling Executive Man sample after 8 shaves. (Note, picture edited to show soap better) I’m guessing 3 more shaves, although I’ve heard the ring of death can be deceptive!
C74A4888-8B8F-4EE3-9DB0-02966CBC84D3.jpeg

I'd be interested to see a picture. I have a theory that I can't prove in any way... but a man with a terracotta dish might.

Terracotta breaths well and is great at pulling water out and drying it contents. Part of the reason cacti do well in them is because water doesn't stand in terracotta. So if the ring of death is caused by soap softening at the bottom of the puck making it easier to work through. The terracotta might negate that effect causing more evenly, and possibly slower, wearing soap.

Or maybe these are just the crazy ramblings of a soap obsessed mad man and I'm totally off the mark. Smart money would bet on the latter.

a good theory and when the dish was full I wondered if that would happen, but, as the soap level went down it revealed that the terra-cotta dish the soap came in is lined with a heavy polyurethane coating so it’s water proof. I’ll post some pics in a bit.

The soap is very well hydrated, so much so that its almost A cream at this point. I haven’t left it to dry out because the performance has been so darn good.

Top Bottom