What's new

My Guess... 3017

Well, it's done. I've finally completed 3017ing my puck of PdP No 63 - started on 5/2/2019 and ended on 9/7/2020. A year and four months and 150 shaves later (For the past six months since I started working at home due to...you know...I've shaved somewhere around every four days to once a week, before that I was probably averaging three times a week.

Now that I've knocked off the PdP No 63 I'm trying to decide whether to finish off a half used tube of L'Occitane Cade (which I may have allergies to, so that might come to a quick end), or complete the 2/3rds puck of Art of Shaving Lavender soap, alas the non-tallow formulation, that my wife gave me along with an AoS starter kit back in 2014 when I started my wet shaving aquisition disorder. I've got a few days to figure out what I'll go with. Thoughts?

Nice work with the PdP. I know all too well what it takes to finish that. I’d go with the Cade tube. It’s heading into fall and the woodsy scent will be right at home.

Well, it's done. I've finally completed 3017ing my puck of PdP No 63 - started on 5/2/2019 and ended on 9/7/2020. A year and four months and 150 shaves later (For the past six months since I started working at home due to...you know...I've shaved somewhere around every four days to once a week, before that I was probably averaging three times a week.

Now that I've knocked off the PdP No 63 I'm trying to decide whether to finish off a half used tube of L'Occitane Cade (which I may have allergies to, so that might come to a quick end), or complete the 2/3rds puck of Art of Shaving Lavender soap, alas the non-tallow formulation, that my wife gave me along with an AoS starter kit back in 2014 when I started my wet shaving aquisition disorder. I've got a few days to figure out what I'll go with. Thoughts?

Congratulations. It’s a big deal to make through a puck of PdP.

Sprint? snort... I have logged 586 shaves on a block of Vitos super coco. I split the block into three chunks the first was 253g the other two are just a bit over 280g. I am about half way done with chunk number 2. The shaves are great but I think my brush might be broken (Simpson 55) as I swear that it seems like it is actually putting soap back into the container rather than out. :001_huh:

I should point out that I am also the weirdo that signed up for a "single brand challenge" and a year long sabbatical at the same time. Like a moron I started a DR Harris puck in December.. Weill, I wanted to 3017 the puck, not buy more soap (I had too much) so I started lathering until the brush looked like it "had enough" rather than setting a timer and slavishly load the brush for 60 seconds. I was quite surprised to be able to do all the challenges (same soap, sabbatical, and 3017) at the same time. The puck lasted 428 shaves (0.28g per shave) and during that time my technique improved quite a bit. Not only where the shaves better, the soap usage less, but the blades were lasting longer as well.

I think I have the vitos shaves mostly dialed in now and I hope that the next soap I choose from my stash is not a let down. I have some time to decide but I might open one of my pucks of Hasslinger (old formula) just to see if it lives up to the praise.:cuppa:

Some bad news, I weighted my Proraso cream and it still weights 50 grams....so, after 8 uses, average is around 1.3 g per shave. I don't know how much the tube itself weights, but I don't think it's that much. I guess I have still around 40 grams of cream left....which is like another month....

2111D594-6B0B-46CB-8990-64871C9273C6.jpeg
One month down and about one month to go.

I haven't posted in a while, but I finished a half tube of palmolive, then a half tube of AdP, then went start to finish on a tub of Wholly Kaw Fern Concerto. I then grated a stick of Palmolive into that tub, and by my estimates, am about two weeks from finishing that stick. The Wholly Kaw won't be replaced. As for the Palmolive, I have about 7 more sticks so....
I have come to really appreciate 3017-ing a soap/cream. I really dial it in, and the set-it-and-forget-it Ron Popeil style of shaving has really grown on me. I definitely use more than the average bear, since I am a near daily face and head shaver (excepting the weekends).
It has also gotten me to a point where I have decided no new purchases until I actually need something. Given my razor stash, blade stash, soap and cream stash, and aftershave stash, it will be at least two years before I REALLY have to make a purchase.
I'll tell you, I used to think using a whole soap would take forever, but once you start using it every day, it starts to move faster. But Aftershave, that stuff takes FOREVER to use. I've been using a bottle of Proraso Green for the past 6 months and its still going. I guesstimate that my palmolive stick and aftershave will finish up right around the same time.
I think I am going to work through a tube of Proraso Red Cream next (with the matching aftershave) since -- at least here in Central New York -- fall is starting to set in. Proraso Red is one of my FAVORITE scents of any soap/cream I have used over the past ten years or so, and I have at least sample many, many both mass produced and artisans, many that are now defunct.
Keep working those soaps and creams, and happy shaving.

This coming Saturday would make two weeks since I began my attempt at finishing up a jar of LBK Soap Company Irish Tweed Whipped Shaving Cream. However, this product is not giving me very enjoyable shaves. It smells nice, but the lather is mostly air. Using more has not helped. This is not even a fourth of the way gone yet. I can never use it straight through until it is finished. But I can't just throw it out. I MUST finish it eventually. So here's what I plan to do-Starting tomorrow I will make a different cream my main cream for daily use and will still use this LBK cream every now and then. I will continue to do that until it is gone.

Starting tomorrow a vintage can of no longer in production Colgate Shaving Cream-Aloe will be the main cream. It has been used 49 times so far and it is still almost half full. I really like this cream and am looking forward to shaving with it again. It's been too long.

Still plugging along with Speick. I'm really enjoying the shaves and am happy to see regular progress.. I'm working on the bit I grated and finding it much easier to load. While using in in stick form I l could load just enough to get through the shave and had to go back a couple times. Now I'm getting enough for 6 passes. Perhaps a little wasteful but I'd rather that than reloading. Besides there's something thrilling about the soap receading every shave.

20200918_185635.jpg

Bowl lathering for the first time in a couple of years, just for variety’s sake. I must say, the Trumper Rose lathers up easily and I get a decent shave from it. It’s still second tier, but not bad at all!

Top Bottom