What's new

My Guess... 3017

I've 3017'd a number of Haslinger pucks. Not sure if this is a special puck, or it's just been too long or what -- but, I'm half way through this Honey puck (tallow of course) and this may well be the best shaving soap I've ever used. Scent is pleasant albeit almost non-existent and benign, but WOW what a shave! I'm so glad I cleaned the shelves of all the tallow pucks I could when they announced they'd lost their mind and gone vegan. I've got dozens of the old formula and it was one of my better investments.

I've 3017'd a number of Haslinger pucks. Not sure if this is a special puck, or it's just been too long or what -- but, I'm half way through this Honey puck (tallow of course) and this may well be the best shaving soap I've ever used. Scent is pleasant albeit almost non-existent and benign, but WOW what a shave! I'm so glad I cleaned the shelves of all the tallow pucks I could when they announced they'd lost their mind and gone vegan. I've got dozens of the old formula and it was one of my better investments.

I also have dozens of the old tallow formula vacuum sealed. Haslinger is a favorite. I have 1 or 2 of the new formula on hand, i forget what scent, but am considering one as my next 3017 effort.

I finished up the little bit of Stirling Lime I'd been using to usher in spring, and turned to a mostly full tub of QCS Rose Otto. The weather immediately cooled. I really want to believe that's a coincidence.

img_0627-jpg.1044331

Here's my stash from the end of 2019. The Speick stick and tub are out (trade and PIF) and one of the NOS Art of Shaving Tallow pucks stacked under the AOS Lemon is in use. The white pucks at right are Cade with a PSGT in front. All except the bagged Palmolive stick are NOS.

:ouch1:

Nowhere near as slick as the hard soaps and definitely takes a bit more work to get a good lather. The lather is more comparable to Cella and the Razorock soft Italian soaps.
Scent is non existent which is what I prefer.
Thank you. I love the performance of the hard soaps. I have never tried the soft version. By your description, I don't think I will.

I am using the Body Shop synthetic this month, as I am trying to only use synths this year. It is. It exactly a treat to use, but I am getting very decent lathers out of the PdP #63. The stiffness of the fibers does a real number on the soap, and I’m seeing some progress. I can’t say I’m enjoying the lathers, but it’s getting the job done.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Finished up a sample of CBL "Barbershop" that @dmshaver threw in with one of my purchases from the BST forum.
1586387066929.png

Nice lather and smell. Per their website it's "a woody fougere with bright notes, spicy notes and powdery notes. This scent is heavily inspired by the old Rive Gauche Pour Homme (by Yves Saint Laurent) and to a lesser extent, Azzaro Pour Homme (by Azzaro). Not quite like the old Barbasol you remember but darn close to that too."
Here's the link to their site if anyone is interested. Please note that I am not employed by CBL Soaps....

Next up, a puck of good old Col Conk Lime!

Finished up a sample of CBL "Barbershop" that @dmshaver threw in with one of my purchases from the BST forum.
View attachment 1084362

Nice lather and smell. Per their website it's "a woody fougere with bright notes, spicy notes and powdery notes. This scent is heavily inspired by the old Rive Gauche Pour Homme (by Yves Saint Laurent) and to a lesser extent, Azzaro Pour Homme (by Azzaro). Not quite like the old Barbasol you remember but darn close to that too."
Here's the link to their site if anyone is interested. Please note that I am not employed by CBL Soaps....

Next up, a puck of good old Col Conk Lime!
Glad you enjoyed it!

The shaves with Art of Shaving tallow sandalwood are superb. Such a great soap.

I kick myself for not stocking up when this was readily available on the cheap from gifts and care or whatever it was. I bought one and half thought I might never use it since I considered myself not a fan of sandalwood scent. I pulled it out in late 2018 and the performance was as expected (awesome) and I realized I liked their take on sandalwood. By that time all the old stock was gone from that site.

Oh well, had I only tried it sooner I could be staring down a nice stack of those but at least I have a lemon (I call it unscented) and a lavender to ease the pain. Nice collection from your group picture BTW, very jealous, nothing but top tier there.

My favorite of the old AOS soaps is Lemon. I think I have 2 pucks left. If the scent fades, I will drop some Lemon EO on the puck or in the scuttle.

ADD: Yup...2 pucks left. Resisting the urge to go to duplicates before finishing singles....

Last edited:
I finished off the Proraso Blue Tube, which took me another 51 shaves for ~100ml that were still left.

There is nothing that hasn't already been said about this one, excellent performance, unoffensive scent and great value for money, 10/10.

20200411_105506.jpg

Next up: Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera, which I pressed into an empty bowl of MWF for easier loading. I am expecting ~ 4 weeks of shaves from this one.

20200411_105604.jpg

Couple of questions for you guys.

Do you have a cheat day? Maybe MdC on Sundays or something similar.

Does 3017'ing mean you can not buy more soaps or just use one soap at a time?

Top Bottom