What's new

My Guess... 3017

Try grating the rest of the Harris into the bowl before giving up on it. I find that a lot of soaps are easier to load this way, and fixes the light and airy problem.

Good thinking. I think I have it packed up now (I'm selling my house so all my extra shaving stuff is in storage), but I'll give that a shot. The only thing I don't like about some soaps is how they will break apart at the bottom of the dish and that makes finishing them a lot trickier. Sometimes they grate well and stick to the dish nicely (usually the great soaps do this), and other times they break apart and you have to toss the odds and ends (thinking of MWF especially).

D1F8F126-5115-4CA4-892B-7D08506941B9.jpeg
That’s it. More than a serviceable cream from Portugal. Moving on to the Spanish stick!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
So it's been good for me to discover this thread as a newbie that has taken to this whole wet shaving thing like a duck to water in the last couple of months. It definitely is nice to get on here from time to time and see that there are others with RAD, BAD, ASAD, & SSAD...and judging from some of the posts and photos in this place, many have these disorders worse than myself!

Anyway, I've been inspired by the OP's journey to plow through with unwavering determination (or 3017 is the correct term I suppose?) his soap that he had started to acquire, and how 4 years or so later he did it. Very inspiring and very commendable. I'm not going to purchase ANY MORE soap/cream during this time (or I'm going to try really hard not to) with the only caveat being that I'm supposed to go to Scotland later this year (trip got pushed back about 5 months - you can probably guess why) and when I'm there I really want to find some "Essence of Scotland" Soap from the Gentleman's Groom Room.

So here goes. Below is my pic of the soap/cream software lot that I have acquired, I estimate 90% or so of this came from fellow B&B members on the BST forum (is there really anywhere better for a new wet shaver to acquire goods?) Only thing not pictured is an Arko Shave Stick that I forgot to get out of the drawer. I did recently finish a tube of Gillette Pure cream that is also obviously not in the picture. In the pair of OS mugs in the middle are a puck of Col Conk Lime and good old Williams in the other. The journey starts now.....

1st up is a sample of CBL "Barbershop" that was sent to me graciously by fellow member DMShaver from his stash in Kansas City when I purchased a couple of other nice things from him.

I'm an everyday single pass shaver. What do you guys think? What's your best guess on how long this road is going to be for me? Most of these products are lightly used with at least 75% or more remaining, a few are brand spanking new.

1585613212490.png

That is doable! I don't want to put all of my stuff in the same spot for fear of giving up on the 3017 thing. There are a few quick hitters there (Williams and the Col.), but also some long lasting products (Tabac, PdP). My guess? Four years. I can only get through four or five products a year. The tube of Rio Sul I just finished lasted 3 months. The stick of La Toja will be 2+ months.

Last edited:
La Toja is one of my favorite soaps. The mineral salts in it works like an alum bar closing nicks and helping skin but it does it during your shave 🪒 instead of after! :)
La Toja is one of my favorites, too. This will be the third or fourth stick for me. I have finished a tube of the cream. I have used a can of the foam, too. I have the Manantiales version of the soap waiting for something. I swore I wouldn't duplicate a product before finishing everything else, but I got a craving. The same would have been true if I had gone for Cade.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
La Toja is one of my favorites, too. This will be the third or fourth stick for me. I have finished a tube of the cream. I have used a can of the foam, too. I have the Manantiales version of the soap waiting for something. I swore I wouldn't duplicate a product before finishing everything else, but I got a craving. The same would have been true if I had gone for Cade.

If Manatiales soap was still available? I would be hoarding it. :)

Found this puck of Vitos in and amongst my stuff. I don’t recall when or where I acquired it. No scent to it, and it’s hard as a puck of haslinger. Tried it out this morning, and the lather was great. Right on, Vitos.

View attachment 1081079
I'm guessing the lather compares favorably to Haslinger, too?!

First shave with the stick of La Toja this morning. It looks like this stick may have gone on a trip or two with me. There might be 5-10 shaves off the top. As I applied the soap I thought to myself, "Now don't be disappointed if it doesn't lather like the creams you've been using lately." No worries. Same exceptional La Toja stick lather which develops that great hydrated sheen. And it takes the same amount of time to get to the first swipe with the 34C as when face lathering a cream. Looking forward to a couple months with a favorite!!!!

Only had the one shave so far. But the Vitos lather is nice and slick. I was able to stir in a bunch of water. Looking forward to using the whole puck. Although, the beloved Haslinger coconut could be tough to top.

Nice stash! I keep thinking of getting a group picture but worry about fitting it all back afterwards.

How long will this last? Hard to say, some people knock out a 4 oz croap/soap in a month, takes others 3. The PdP is an everlasting gobstopper of a soap, tabac maybe also, those will stick around 3-8 months? Good news is you have some nice soaps, 3017ing isn’t just about using up, it’s sticking with soaps/creams to learn and get the most out of them. You’ll find favorites and ones that may not be your favorites (cough...cough...back-row..cough):001_302:

Ok, it is a lot about finishing products but enjoying them also. Just kidding on the Barbasol jab, I know people who like this I just haven't used anything that doesn't come from a bowl or tube for quite some time :thumbup1:

So it's been good for me to discover this thread as a newbie that has taken to this whole wet shaving thing like a duck to water in the last couple of months. It definitely is nice to get on here from time to time and see that there are others with RAD, BAD, ASAD, & SSAD...and judging from some of the posts and photos in this place, many have these disorders worse than myself!

Anyway, I've been inspired by the OP's journey to plow through with unwavering determination (or 3017 is the correct term I suppose?) his soap that he had started to acquire, and how 4 years or so later he did it. Very inspiring and very commendable. I'm not going to purchase ANY MORE soap/cream during this time (or I'm going to try really hard not to) with the only caveat being that I'm supposed to go to Scotland later this year (trip got pushed back about 5 months - you can probably guess why) and when I'm there I really want to find some "Essence of Scotland" Soap from the Gentleman's Groom Room.

So here goes. Below is my pic of the soap/cream software lot that I have acquired, I estimate 90% or so of this came from fellow B&B members on the BST forum (is there really anywhere better for a new wet shaver to acquire goods?) Only thing not pictured is an Arko Shave Stick that I forgot to get out of the drawer. I did recently finish a tube of Gillette Pure cream that is also obviously not in the picture. In the pair of OS mugs in the middle are a puck of Col Conk Lime and good old Williams in the other. The journey starts now.....

1st up is a sample of CBL "Barbershop" that was sent to me graciously by fellow member DMShaver from his stash in Kansas City when I purchased a couple of other nice things from him.

I'm an everyday single pass shaver. What do you guys think? What's your best guess on how long this road is going to be for me? Most of these products are lightly used with at least 75% or more remaining, a few are brand spanking new.

View attachment 1080740

Yesterday I used the last of my T&H Ultimate Comfort cream. This is my favorite cream offering a rich, luxurious lather. If I didn't have so many soaps and creams I would order a replacement.

Top Bottom