What's new

My Guess... 3017

Hmm, my morning is kinda similar... out of the shower and a few swirls on the Vitos I am currently working on. I still had a bunch of lather on the brush after the first pass so I did a mostly superfluous second pass. Followed by a quick splash of Floid Blue.

Dress and then pull 7 espressos (three to be had at home and four for "to go") to get the rest of the house moving. Grabbed lunch out of the fridge and left the house to conquer the day.

Pretty much a normal week day at my house.

PdP #63 continues to deliver, and after 2 months, I have settled on a solid 2 star rating. It’s good but not a Provence Sante Green Tea caliber. This soap is tough too. Even though it’s clearly smaller, I’ve taken maybe 2 millimeters off the top. I think I’m in for the long haul.

Finished reef point and stirling samples but found another mystery soap partial at the bottom of a stack in the dark reaches of the soap cabinet. Not certain what it is but I’m determined to clean up the scraps before starting a new soap. I’ll give it a few days but I’m itching to start in on a fresh puck of awesomeness so if this doesn’t impress me quickly it’ll get the heave ho.

Im working on a half tub of Proraso green. I found my Merkur 37c slant while cleaning up the cupboard, so using that after maybe 5 years. Getting great shaves and finishing them with Mennen skin bracer. Perfect summer combo.

Finished with CF Lavender. Up next is either another cream (DR Harris 29) or LPL Rosemary.

20200306_135418.jpg

Getting down to the wire with B&M Seville. I estimate a week tops of daily shaving. I pulled out an Omega boar brush, beehive handle, short loft so it's super scrubby. I never liked the brush, I could never seem to get a decent serviceable lather from it. Today I loaded till my arm got tired, dipped the tips and kept loading. Then I loaded some more. Remember the old B&B slogans of "use more product" and "load it like you hate it"? Well I kept loading, and loading, lol. Seemed like it's not the best brush for face lathering, but that's what I did anyway. Hopefully I'll kill this soap off sooner than later and return to the pillowly softness of a good synth brush, unless I scrub my skin off first.

Finished with CF Lavender. Up next is either another cream (DR Harris 29) or LPL Rosemary.

View attachment 1071239

An unexpected cream jumped to the front. I chose to give Mondial another try. I soaked by Proraso Pro brush and jumped in the shower. While building up the lather, I immediately felt the burn. Mondial is a no go for me. I've been wanting to use an Italian soap, so I was a little disappointed. I searched one of my boxes and found a tube of Proraso Blue. I whipped up a great lather in no time. Very good results.

After 65 shaves, B&M Seville is done. It's an older formula, I believe, with the orange label. It was serviceable, but didn't excite me with performance or scent. I won't buy it again.
Not sure what I'm going to target next, but I'm going to dabble with some Arko and Palmolive Lather for a few days.

I'm really enjoying Trumpers Limes. Its been a while since I focused on a cream and its been great.

Many of the popular artisan soap offerings are oil / butter heavy. For the proper climate or skin type that may be fine. I certainly enjoyed A&E during some cold wet months this past winter. However, I do find that the greasy and scent heavy artisan soaps get a bit old after a while. Their is nothing wrong with an honest shaving soap or cream with a minimal list of ingredients, followed with the AS splash or balm of the shavers choosing. I guess what I'm saying is that once again I find myself being pulled away from the artisan and over to the traditional side of the shaving software aisle.

Old man rant has concluded.

The unidentified soap I was trying to kill wasn’t doing it for me so it’s getting replaced with something new. It’s my most recent purchase so ‘should’ be last in line but I just want to use it so why deprive myself of that.

8E4D063E-9C42-450E-9F14-63D5C2EA7DB2.jpeg
9D15D3A1-932E-421D-B90B-DEE8656AC7B4.jpeg

The unidentified soap I was trying to kill wasn’t doing it for me so it’s getting replaced with something new. It’s my most recent purchase so ‘should’ be last in line but I just want to use it so why deprive myself of that.

View attachment 1073051
I'm using that one next too.

I hope it's here in the next few days from the UK as my Proraso only has a couple days left. If it isn't here's before that one's done, I'll have to use La Toja Manatiales until it arrives. :letterk1:

I'm really enjoying Trumpers Limes. Its been a while since I focused on a cream and its been great.

Many of the popular artisan soap offerings are oil / butter heavy. For the proper climate or skin type that may be fine. I certainly enjoyed A&E during some cold wet months this past winter. However, I do find that the greasy and scent heavy artisan soaps get a bit old after a while. Their is nothing wrong with an honest shaving soap or cream with a minimal list of ingredients, followed with the AS splash or balm of the shavers choosing. I guess what I'm saying is that once again I find myself being pulled away from the artisan and over to the traditional side of the shaving software aisle.

Old man rant has concluded.

some of us never left. Welcome back, brother.

I made up a tentative schedule of when I'd be burning through each of the soaps in my 3017 run, and with quickie estimates of grams/shave based on firmness and an assumed 285 shaves/year it looks like I'm finishing in 2026.

Finished up a tube of Kent shaving cream used for travel. Good performance. Strong menthol, which was novel for me though I won't look to replace. Palmolive shaving cream is on the clock for the dopp kit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Top Bottom