What's new

My Guess... 3017

I am afraid to take a picture of my unopened soap stash because if SWMBO sees the 58 soaps all in one place... I am toast. I have always 3017'd my soaps. When I first started it was an attempt to reduce the variables and work my way up the learning curve. I then found this thread. Unfortunately I kept reading about all these great soaps so I would order some here and there because while plowing through the thread it seemed there were so many awesome soaps out there and they didn't seem to last too long. So this thread is largely to blame for me accumulating 76 additional soaps while I was using the first one I bought :eek2: After I started reading this thread in real time I began to appreciate the mistake I made. I might actually have enough soup to last past the year 3017!

The good news is that since May 2014 I have managed to finish 18 soaps and creams of various sizes. I am currently working my way through a block of Vitos 315g of the original 820g have been used in the last year or so. I am looking forward to trying Haslinger (old formula), PdP, MWF, C&S and many others that seem to have kind words spoken about them over the years. Sorry no pictures, but putting all my soap in one place would not be good for my health. Putting all my aftershave in one place is a fire hazard and would probably require placards.

Ruckin (trying to stay below the radar).

For the longest time, I had the bulk of my soap stash down in the basement, some in the closet in the master bedroom, a few of the current rotation in the master bathroom, and a bunch in a shelving unit on my side of the bed. I started traditional wet shaving and soap "collecting" back in October 2014. Fast forward to the end of this past summer when we moved -> My wife said she had a question for me: " Who in the hell needs 200+ shaving soaps?(never mind the various tubes of shaving cream)" Yup, during the move, the whole stash was in one place for her to peruse while I was at work. BUSTED!

I don't really 3017, but have been following this thread for quite a while and appreciate the posts from all of you folks about your experience with each soap. I have moved to using each soap for at least a week before moving on to something else. I have finished off a bunch of soaps in the last couple of years and have also cut WAY back on purchasing anything new. Baby steps, I guess, but I have been getting great shaves and enjoying shaving since I quit carts and canned goo.

Razorock Nomad is toast.

View attachment 1065706
Had about 30-35 rather pleasant shaves. It took a few days of getting the hang with it, since I did not use enough water and it dried my skin. In the end I liked it a lot.

I want to focus on soft soaps, since they probably won't get any better during storage. I had trouble deciding which would be the next victim. I figured another Razorock (Blue Barbershop or XXX) or a Goodfellas Smile (Savage) would be nice for early Spring but then I went for something else.

Next up is half a slice of Vitos con coco.
View attachment 1065707
It came out at approx. 75 grams and should keep me busy for a few weeks. That gives me more time to decide for a spring soap.

I think you’ll like the Vito’s. I ran through samples of all three varieties and thoroughly enjoyed them. I wish Vito's got as much press as Cella (‘cause I think it’s better).

Stopped the Speick stick and am using a homemade stick of PdP. Having just 3017'd a full puck of PdP loading out of a tub, I prefer the stick format. Will go back to the Speick in a week or so and see if I still have a reaction.

Did you just put some Speick lather on your arm to see if you get the reaction? That would take the variable if the old blade out of the equation.

+1 on the Vitos. I am currently 3017ing my way through a brick of the extra coco and after a year of daily use I am still loading more than I need to at about 0.4g per shave. But none of that actually matters because I am getting a great shave with no fuss every day.

Oh, when I first started reading this thread I kept reading about this or that soap being great... well I can't point to where but many hundred pages back folks were going on about how great Vitos is and that is one of the lesser known greats. It might even have been Bob that said it (or at least part of the conversation at the time)

I don't know if I will buy another brick or not. My goal is to use all (or almost all) my soaps before I pick up more and that will take me at least 15 years. By that time this thread will be 20000 pages long and there may be some other new shiny soap that will be on my must try list :biggrin1:

The ring of Seville around the edge of my tub was coming loose yesterday so I mashed it all into the bottom of my scuttle. Had a really nice warm lather shave this morning with a wonderfully hydrated lather. I've got a couple shaves left probably. I don't usually look forward to last couple shaves from a soap. It gets hard to load. Putting the remains in my scuttle has made those last couple shaves something to look forward to.

Stirling Gatlinburg died this morning. Up next will be a brand new tub of Grooming Dept. Mallard Chai. Looking forward to this one.

In anticipation of my nearing the end tube of Proraso, I made my first online shave soap purchase in quite some time.....MWF.

I figure I should try it again and shipping from the UK has it around $15 Canadian, landed.

15825086386367046543804804991184.jpg

Last edited:
I think you’ll like the Vito’s. I ran through samples of all three varieties and thoroughly enjoyed them. I wish Vito's got as much press as Cella (‘cause I think it’s better).

You're right. I had a surprisingly good first impression, found it more enjoyable than Cella (which I wouldn't consider bad at all) to a degree I didn't expect. We'll see how that develops over time.

Maybe the low key paper box is to blame. The Cella guy is sort of a more memorable branding, I think.

Oh, when I first started reading this thread I kept reading about this or that soap being great... well I can't point to where but many hundred pages back folks were going on about how great Vitos is and that is one of the lesser known greats. It might even have been Bob that said it (or at least part of the conversation at the time)

I don't know if I will buy another brick or not. My goal is to use all (or almost all) my soaps before I pick up more and that will take me at least 15 years. By that time this thread will be 20000 pages long and there may be some other new shiny soap that will be on my must try list :biggrin1:

Yes, I got it mostly due to recommendations in this thread haha

I won't pick up any soaps soon either, out of pure curiosity, that is. My stash of untried soaps is embarrasing me a bit. I perhaps would get a few favourites, were they discontinued.

50 shaves today with B&M Seville. To be honest, it's just a "meh" soap to me. Nothing special, gets the job done, but nothing to write home about. For the past week or so I've been using a badger brush, only because badger seems to use a lot more soap. I've been exclusively using synthetics for a few years. Cheating, in a sense, to use this soap up as quickly as possible. I'm getting a bit bored with it, but will stay the course and use it all up. Maybe two or three weeks left with it

I recently bought MWF also from overseas, they were out of the refill so ended up getting one with the ceramic bowl. Price was $20 plus delivery which was only a couple bucks. I (oddly enough) had a tube of proraso on the order also, kind of a fan of this stuff and at about $4 hard to pass up. Weird when the low price leader of the modern world charges $40 and $10 for the same 2 items.

In anticipation of my nearing the end tube of Proraso, I made my first online shave soap purchase in quite some time.....MWF.

I figure I should try it again and shipping from the UK has it around $15 Canadian, landed.

View attachment 1066423

After a couple of months of lackadaisical shaving (including rediscovering I can shave neck without any soap straight out of shower I shaved my head again.
IanS Orange Geranium still going, but getting mushy. I'll give it a week.

After a couple of months of lackadaisical shaving (including rediscovering I can shave neck without any soap straight out of shower I shaved my head again.
IanS Orange Geranium still going, but getting mushy. I'll give it a week.
I just had the mushy thing happen on a fine soap I'm trying to 3017. I attached to another soap to meet it dry out a bit. Do you just keep attacking it out let it dry?

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk

I just had the mushy thing happen on a fine soap I'm trying to 3017. I attached to another soap to meet it dry out a bit. Do you just keep attacking it out let it dry?

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
I've been actively washing it to make it go faster. Unlike others here who lovingly eke out a meager ring of soap for another month, I get bored and want to kill it.

It's becoming unmanageable and clumpy. A smart, patient person would let it dry out and get 10 more shaves. An inhumane monster would see if those clumps float off after a long soak and a pummeling from a 30mm synthetic brush.

This is the point for me where what remains gets wiped into the bin. Something brand new starts tomorrow.

CRSW Shapenmelk is nearing the end. Not sure what’s next. I’m really jonesing for some triple milled after a winter of butter heavy soft artisans, but I’m not sure I’m ready to commit that deeply just yet.

I have a couple kills to report. Shapenmelk did indeed pass from this veil of tears. Except for a bit of traveling I decided to focus on finishing off my last butter heavy soft artisinal soap. Last Sept/Oct/Nov I used A&E Vanille and Tabac. An outstanding soap! After it dried a bit in storage there was less left than I thought, only a very thin film in the plastic container. Down to the final dregs now and it will succomb tomorrow or Sunday.

Up next; a partial tube of Trumpers Limes. Winter is winding down and the lime scent and non-oily cream will be a most welcome change. Think Spring!

Cheers!

This mornings shave:

1) After shower dabbed a small amount of Trumpers Limes on my beard.
2) 30 seconds of face lathering.
3) Effortless 2 pass shave.
4) Head still a bit foggy so after a quick face rinse splashed on some Proraso Green.
5) Quick rinse of the brush and out the door feeling like a million bucks.

No fuss, no mess, no greasy skin, just a nice quick comfortable shave from an honest shaving cream and an AS splash that’s been an industry standard for decades.

Sometimes I think I over complicate this daily ritual.....

Top Bottom