What's new

My Guess... 3017

MW lavender is starting to show signs of giving up. I haven't had any problems with lathering it since the first week or so, simple load it like crazy method, don't add too much water and it works. Not a top tier soap but it has a good scent so I am sticking with it til its gone. Shouldn't be more than a week, it is pretty soft now and going fast.

IMG_5635.jpg

I will revisit MWF one day. I had one years ago and liked it but then let it dry out and I couldn't seem to figure it out after that. I got frustrated and used it as a shower soap but I think I am ready to give it a fair shot. It will be a couple years still but it is a classic I want to enjoy start to finish, none of that use it once, let it sit 2 months stuff I did originally :001_302:

Ok, a couple years was an overestimation, just placed an order and have a puck on the way. It was justified since I’m down to only 10-15 soaps in the main stash, and my gardeners cousin’s brother’s girlfriend heard it was being discontinued so I had to get it!!!

I promise to kill off a few soaps before I get to this but I am looking forward to a run at a legend of a soap.

These are the miserable remnants of my Abbate Matteo soap from a few days ago.

20200111_122722.jpg

Used it daily and it turned into a sticky paste. My recently aquired Chubby 2 synthetic will kill it before next weekend.

Next up: either a sample spree or Razorock Nomad

How did you guys use up your samples? All at once or in between your full sized soaps?

I have a couple plissoft brushes and they're my most used. They consistently make the best lather from any soap I've tried them with. Can't wait to hear if the Muhle can outshine the plissoft. I've been happy enough with mine for a couple years now that I haven't been able to talk myself into spending the money to try the Muhle.

My $.01 cent. Sounds like you are happy with the Plissoft and the Muhle just didn't offer enough of a difference to bother with another brush. The Muhle or its EJ cousin is worth every penny, but get one for fun, not for an expectation of vastly superior performance as the Muhle does not outshine the Plissoft for me.

I used a 19mm Muhle STF on one side of my face and a RR Plissoft "keyhole" on the other side for the last 4 shaves. I believe the keyhole is a 21 or 22mm brush. Both brushes admittedly smaller than the range I usually use which is 24-26mm so I had to adjust a bit. I'm on the hunt for a smallish travel brush and having used a 24mm Plissoft for a few years I know they are decent brushes but have been curious to try a Muhle synthetic.

Both the Plissoft and Muhle whipped up a nice lather equally well. I couldn't tell a difference in loading time or lather quality. In fact, they both performed equally in every way but one. The Plissoft has a bit of scritch where the Muhle has none. Some like scritch some dont so thats completely a personal choice. When I say slight bit...I mean slight. Its by no means objectionable.

I would give the nod to the Muhle synthetic performance by a very slight margin but thats really splitting hairs. They both do a great job. If you already have a Plissoft and are curious about the Muhle STF, IMHO you aren't missing anything. If you have neither, get the Muhle or its EJ cousin.

For perspective on my opinon of these.... I had a Simpson Chubby Synthetic a couple years ago. A quality brush, but I just did not get along with it. I appreciated their effort at duplicating the famous Chubby "wall of badger", but it made for a brush that was too springy for the way I use a brush. Again...all very subjective....just wanted to point it out. So those of you that love Chubby synthetics can take my opinion and place it in the trash where it belongs. :)

My $.01 cent. Sounds like you are happy with the Plissoft and the Muhle just didn't offer enough of a difference to bother with another brush. The Muhle or its EJ cousin is worth every penny, but get one for fun, not for an expectation of vastly superior performance as the Muhle does not outshine the Plissoft for me.

I used a 19mm Muhle STF on one side of my face and a RR Plissoft "keyhole" on the other side for the last 4 shaves. I believe the keyhole is a 21 or 22mm brush. Both brushes admittedly smaller than the range I usually use which is 24-26mm so I had to adjust a bit. I'm on the hunt for a smallish travel brush and having used a 24mm Plissoft for a few years I know they are decent brushes but have been curious to try a Muhle synthetic.

Both the Plissoft and Muhle whipped up a nice lather equally well. I couldn't tell a difference in loading time or lather quality. In fact, they both performed equally in every way but one. The Plissoft has a bit of scritch where the Muhle has none. Some like scritch some dont so thats completely a personal choice. When I say slight bit...I mean slight. Its by no means objectionable.

I would give the nod to the Muhle synthetic performance by a very slight margin but thats really splitting hairs. They both do a great job. If you already have a Plissoft and are curious about the Muhle STF, IMHO you aren't missing anything. If you have neither, get the Muhle or its EJ cousin.

For perspective on my opinon of these.... I had a Simpson Chubby Synthetic a couple years ago. A quality brush, but I just did not get along with it. I appreciated their effort at duplicating the famous Chubby "wall of badger", but it made for a brush that was too springy for the way I use a brush. Again...all very subjective....just wanted to point it out. So those of you that love Chubby synthetics can take my opinion and place it in the trash where it belongs. :)
Thanks for that comparison. I will probably get a Muhle at some point. If for no other reason than I'll need to give my wife a b-day or Christmas idea. It's nice to know I don't need to be in a great hurry though.

Just popping in to say I love this idea! I've got a jar of Martin de Candre I bought about 4 years ago. It's been in pretty steady rotation, but now I'm just sick of it and want to see it gone (plus I could use the space, as I've bought way too many soaps lately). So, I'll put MdC on the clock. It's got a decent "ring of death" going, so let's see how long it takes to finally die. I'm guessing 30 shaves.

Just popping in to say I love this idea! I've got a jar of Martin de Candre I bought about 4 years ago. It's been in pretty steady rotation, but now I'm just sick of it and want to see it gone (plus I could use the space, as I've bought way too many soaps lately). So, I'll put MdC on the clock. It's got a decent "ring of death" going, so let's see how long it takes to finally die. I'm guessing 30 shaves.
Knowing its about a month of shaves makes it easy to demolish. Good luck!

I've finished a tub tub of Australia Private Reserve last month, which is a great soap and i have 7 more of differing scents under the sink.

I also had a crack at finishing off about a half tub of Proraso green soap. I determined that it is not a good soap, as every shave i encountered little nicks or weepers. I do love the scent though!

Currently working my way through a puck of C&E West Indian Lime which my wife gifted to me a few years ago. I'm getting great shaves from it and just today broke through to the bottom after 39 shaves. perhaps 2 more weeks to go, but i'm giving it a red hot crack by lathering hard and long...

Since my last post I've been using a Lea stick and working through a sample of St. James of London Lavender & Geranium cream that I received as part of a PIF from the generous @Dick peck a while back.
The St. James cream is well performing with a quite pleasant scent. The 5ml sample mentions it's good for 2-4 shaves but i've used it 4 times already and there's definitely at least a couple of shaves left.
Lea stick is great. The one I'm using is the one currently in production which is vegetable based.
Anyone interested in soaps with lanolin should take a look here.

MW Lavender is finished. It is an OK soap, it makes some really fancy looking yogurt/marshmallow creeme looking glop lather but in spite of how it looked the shaves were just, well, OK.

I am seeing progress, the cabinet shelf is looking much less crowded and I have located a couple of samples I didn't know where there. I think I am going to knock those off and maybe take a run at the leftover bit frankensoap just to try and tidy things up a little more. I am thinking of starting a vintage Williams in Feburary to celebrate JB's birthday on the 2nd.

Provence Sante ? ?
MW Bay Rum (30%)------5/18/2016-5/28/2016.....11
Tim’s soap Roots----------5/29/2016-8/2/2016.......54
CF Summer Storm--------8/7/2016-8/14/2016.......Failed (smell morphed into turpentine)
Simpson Unscented-------8/15/2016-9/26/2016.....43
Beer Soap Brewing Anise-10/1/2016-11/9/2016.....31
Haslinger Aloe Vera-------10/10/2016-12/4/2016....18
Pre de Provence-----------12/5/2016-4/13/2017......86 (took off Feb for Williams)
Williams Modern-----------2/2/2017-3/3/2017.........30
Synergy Cavendish--------4/14/2017-4/22/17.........Failed (irritation, lacked slickness)
MW Maestrale (50%)-------4/23/2017-5/9/2017.......17
AoS Tallow Lavender-------5/10/2017-6/20/2017......32
Tiki Spice Islands(60%)----6/21/2017-7/15/2017......22
BSBC Spearmint Eucalyptus-7/17/2017-8/27/2017....29
MLSW The Kraken(60%)----8/28/2017-9/25/2017.....28
Cade-------------------------10/1/2017-1/11/2018.......91
Strop Shoppe Bay Rum(30%)--1/12/2018-2/1/2018...17
Williams Beecham----------2/2/2018-3/8/2018..........26
PS Green Tea---------------3/9/2018-5/2/2018...........47
Mikes Lavender-------------5/3/2018-5/31/2018.........26
MW Lily of the valley-------7/1/2018-7/13/2018.........Failed (stunk too bad)
GFT Coconut tube----------4/2015-8/2018................Travel soap finally killed after 3 years
Proraso Blue (80%)--------7/14/2018-DNF................Moved to travel bag
Haslinger Sage-------------8/30/2018-10/3/22018.....34
Williams Modern-----------10/4/2018-10/29/2018......25
AoS Tallow Sandalwood---11/1/2018-1/12/2019........63
Calani Iberian Sun(70%)--1/13/2019-2/5/2019.........20
L&L After The Rain(90%)----2/6/2019-2/27/2019.......Quit early
MW Green Fairy-------------2/28/2019-3/31/2019.......29
CRSW Citrus----------------4/1/2019-5/7/2019...........29
Tiki bar Salty Surf----------5/8/2019-6/2/2019...........23 Combo of Salty Air and Surfs up
PS Verlaine------------------6/3/2019-7/28/2019.........54
CB Glace Herbe (80%)------8/1/2019-10/5/2019........60
Haslinger Sandalwood------10/13/2019-12/3/2019......52
MW Lavender----------------12/5/2019-1/15/2020.......38

I needed a change of pace as I've been using oil and butter heavy soft artisan soaps for 4 or 5 months now. Plus I wanted to try my new Muhle synthetic out on a cream. So the past two days I set aside the current 3017 project and grabbed a tube of GFT Limes cream.

I really need to visit creams more often. The Muhle did a wonderful job of whipping up a perfect lather and the citrus scent was just great. A very nice change of pace indeed. I think this Spring I will make a 3017 project of that partial tube of GFT Limes...and immediately replace it with another scent. The Limes is great but a guy needs a little variety and I like to keep a tube of cream around both for travel and the occasional dalliance from the latest 3017 effort. I'm thinking a tube of GFT Violet might be a worthy replacement.

I agree. Good performance, easy lather, and better scent profiles than most soaps. Also, these newish synthetic brushes almost effortlessly produce a perfect lather. The little Muhle Synthetic whipped up some nice sauce in no time.

Wouldnt it be great if one of the British creams teamed up with C&S for an Oxford and Cambridge scented cream.

Knowing what I know now, I would have purchased fewer soaps and more creams.
Me too. I am currently enjoying Trumper's Coconut Oil, and Almond SC's. Excellent products. I think they are just a little better than the TOBS creams. I do like the TOBS Peppermint that I have in rotation. Trumpers is just a little better.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom