What's new

My Guess... 3017

Here's my latest choice: Carden Farms Best Beard Wash. I bought it from a vendor at the Florida State Fair two or three years ago. I've used his shaving soap before, years back. Decent stuff. Earthy, floral scent? Hard to pin down, but not an artificial scent.
IMG_20191103_152425.jpg

Bit of an update.

I've called the Edwin Jagger soap. The shaves became subpar I believe because it became hard to load. I had been enjoying it and have more of them to try but will be a while before I get there! I will hold off recommending it or not untill that point.

I've now moved on to Le Pere Lucien. Still dialing it in. With a 30 second load I get a lot of nice cushiony slick lather, but almost too much. I've tried cutting down the load time but the slickness goes down. I will report back when dialed in fully.

One thing I can recommend gentlemen, is the Saponificio Bignoli. I have previously used it for multiple months in a row prior to Speicktember and joining this thread. I'm traveling at the moment in an area with 'very hard water' and this soap is just performing for me. Very slick and very protective. So easy to work with. I bowl lather and with a 30 second load in this water and probably another 30 seconds working the lather I'm good to go and getting perfect, close and perfectly irritation free shaves with lather to spare.
It performed very similar to this at home. The soap is nearly done now and is on my 'replace list'. I almost dont want to run out of it because I know it works no matter where I am.

I will continue with Le Pere Lucien when I get home and start making notes on weights etc.

While rifling through and eventually re-organizing my box of hones yesterday, I found an unopened tube of Speick cream and an unopened puck of AoS tallow Sandalwood (sealed in the plastic wrapper inside the little brown faux-velvet gift baggy it came in). I guess I need to add them to the pile!

My Carden Farms stick seems to get a bit crumbly around the edges. I see little crumbs of it in the sink after I run it in my face. Doesn't matter how wet my face is, or how wet the stick. So I took it out of the twist up and mooshed it into a plastic salsa bowl.

While rifling through and eventually re-organizing my box of hones yesterday, I found an unopened tube of Speick cream and an unopened puck of AoS tallow Sandalwood (sealed in the plastic wrapper inside the little brown faux-velvet gift baggy it came in). I guess I need to add them to the pile!

You are in for a treat with the AoS. I picked up 1 puck because it was so cheap when they were liquidating old stock on the bay. When I used it last year I immediately regretted not buying a lot more, the mild version of sandalwood grew on me quickly and of course the lather is outstanding. I have a lemon (might-as-well call it unscented) and a lavender still to go and plan to enjoy every shave I can get from those.

You are in for a treat with the AoS. I picked up 1 puck because it was so cheap when they were liquidating old stock on the bay. When I used it last year I immediately regretted not buying a lot more, the mild version of sandalwood grew on me quickly and of course the lather is outstanding. I have a lemon (might-as-well call it unscented) and a lavender still to go and plan to enjoy every shave I can get from those.

+1. I 3017'd a puck of AoS Lav last winter. Excellent stuff! I loaded up a bit on Sandalwood when it was being dumped on eBay. I think I have 4 pucks. I also have 2 pucks of the Valobra brand, one fougere, the other I think was unscented. I also ran into someone selling Czech and Speak on Amazon a couple years ago for about $15 per puck...full sized pucks not the little travel guys. So I picked up 3 or 4 pucks of Oxford and Cambridge and one puck of 88. Good grief I have 9 or 10 pucks of tallow triple milled Valobra in the stash. Guess I know what I'll be shaving with when I retire in a few years. :001_rolle

Oops, I meant to post about A&E and got distracted by talk of Valobra. As mentioned previously A&E is wonderful stuff. I'm really enjoying it. Problem is its lasting longer than I expected for a soft soap. Well...not a problem so much I guess, but I really want to use the Schapenmilch during the deep winter months here. I think I will continue using A&E through the end of November and break from 3017 tradition and set the remiander aside. Early Decemeber I will 3017 the Shapenmilch, and whenever that ends in Feb or March take up the A&E again and make that a quick kill.

Not a bad several months of shaving.

I think it's cool to use coins to clip a beard. I don't know if you can feel that feeling. People who have experienced it can definitely feel what I mean, but it's quite painful, so let's use a beard knife instead

Sorry, you lost me. Coins? Beard knife?

Both fine products!

A0B24D56-4222-4B21-B07D-7CD71B35ED1F.jpeg
Despite enjoying my current cream, I’ve already chosen the next product, another Portuguese cream, to be used in a month and a half or so...

Good find! AoS tallow sandalwood will be my winter soap this year once I polish off this little tub of Strop Shoppe. Speaking of the Strop Shoppe - I remember the lather being creamier than I'm getting so far from this tub. I'm getting slick lather, and a bunch of it, but it's foamier than I remember. Going to switch to a synth brush next week. Been using boar. Maybe that'll be the ticket. Still getting good shaves and post shave is excellent.

Two and a half months into Pre de Provence. Good shaves, nice scent. The puck is hard and still heavy. Going to be at this a while.

One thing I'm noticing with Ogallala is the increased frequency of nicks. I'm not talking about the occasional weeper, but an actual nick. I am attributing this to a lack of slickness in the lathers (and I'm not going nuts with the water to make Santa beards), so that for some reason, the blade gets hung up in the wrong place.

One thing I'm noticing with Ogallala is the increased frequency of nicks. I'm not talking about the occasional weeper, but an actual nick. I am attributing this to a lack of slickness in the lathers (and I'm not going nuts with the water to make Santa beards), so that for some reason, the blade gets hung up in the wrong place.

In 2013 Ogallala was talked about quite a bit. I picked up a puck of the bay rum and a bottle of aftershave. The soap smelled amazing but I had similar results. Zero slickness. It ended up in the shower. The aftershave on the other hand, is fantastic.

In 2013 Ogallala was talked about quite a bit. I picked up a puck of the bay rum and a bottle of aftershave. The soap smelled amazing but I had similar results. Zero slickness. It ended up in the shower. The aftershave on the other hand, is fantastic.
I've got a sample that I've tried with similar results. I don't remember nicks but I do remember low slickness. These posts convinced me to just stick the remaining amount onto the hand and face soap at the sink. If I had kept it, I can imagine never getting around to using it up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom