What's new

My Guess... 3017

Hard to see that as a fail from a pragmatic standpoint.

True. I had to leave something up there. Had contemplated making a shavestick from a Haslinger puck, but the Palmolive stick was readily available so I went the easy route.

I shaved with Palmolive cream this evening. Having come off a month of the Palmolive stick I must say that the sticks lather takes a back seat to their cream. The lather from the cream was superior to the stick in every way.

Decided I'm going to 3017 the Speick Men Active. I'm really enjoying the smell of it to be honest.

Bit early to say how much soap I'm using as I'm playing around with it at the moment but it's roughly around 2 grams per shave.

My wife has also showed an interest in using some soaps and creams so I've ordered her some TOBS Lemon and Lime Cream and she's using my sample's untill it arrives. Win win situation for me haha.

Valobra triple milled tallow + a finest quality badger knot = a fantastic shave.

The previous generations knew what they were doing.

Restarted a Haslinger Sandalwood Puck from earlier this year. It's OK, but it's no Arko. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I just need to load more.

What’s different this time around, Jeff?

The last time 3017ing PdP was as a shave stick. The backstory: I was building out the shavewiki with Mblakele and Luc. They were both crazy for shave sticks so we were converting all our pucks to shave sticks for a few years. In retrospect I'm a lazy shave stick user, was probably overloading, and wasn't hydrating my lather enough. Even though it's a bit of heresy, as much as I loved my Semogue boars and a couple of badger brushes, I get better shaves with my $14 plissoft synthetic brush.

I stubbornly have been using Valobra Lavanda. There is just something about me quitting that sits wrong with me. After yesterday's shave, I finally gave up. It is not worth the burn. Today I went with Wholly Kaw La Fougere Parfaite. My first impression was very positive. At least it agreed with my skin and did not have any burn. The scent is very similar to Brut.

Synthetic brushes have come a long way in a few short years. I only use them now, once or twice a year when I break our a badger or boar brush, I am disappointed.

I stubbornly have been using Valobra Lavanda. There is just something about me quitting that sits wrong with me. After yesterday's shave, I finally gave up. It is not worth the burn. Today I went with Wholly Kaw La Fougere Parfaite. My first impression was very positive. At least it agreed with my skin and did not have any burn. The scent is very similar to Brut.

Valobra lavanda is unobtanium isn’t it? Sorry to see it not working out for you.

I’m using the Valobra menthol, pretty good lather, subtle eucalyptus scent with very faint cooling. No wet cardboard scent as with the hard tallow pucks but nowhere near as good lather either.

Haslinger Sandalwood is destined for the trash. Had a great lather from it today after attacking with a big badger, but my skin is still itchy. May try the Erfrischend instead.

Valobra lavanda is unobtanium isn’t it? Sorry to see it not working out for you.

I’m using the Valobra menthol, pretty good lather, subtle eucalyptus scent with very faint cooling. No wet cardboard scent as with the hard tallow pucks but nowhere near as good lather either.

Yes, it was from a 2011 release. No wet cardboard scent as well. This might be the same soap base as your menthol version, but perhaps the allergy to it diminishes the performance for me. The Lavanda scent is a flowery Lavender, not a EO Lavender. Very similar to RazoRock Chianti Lavender if you ever had a chance to use that.

+2. The cheap synthetics are as good as or better than top of the line boars and badgers on the performance scale, IMHO.
+3 While I still enjoy my badgers and boars, it wouldn’t make any sense to ever buy another based on the price/performance compared to the new synths.

Top Bottom